Notices

Feeling nervous....

Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling nervous....

Hi All...

Following my initial post last night (Where i got replies that made me so thankful for finding this group) I spent hours reading around the forum. The posts that I have read made me determined that I could quit drinking. So today is day one of my journey !!

I spent most of the day (late evening here now) planning what I would do with my time in order to try and not think about drinking.. I decided that instead of straight up quitting (which i read could be dangerous) that I would instead cut down and instead of my usual 8 cans in the evening I would restrict myself to 2. I haven't started on the two cans yet, usually I would have started drinking 4 hours ago. I haven't really felt any different except now I am starting to feel anxious and my hands are clammy, so I'm thinking that maybe I should drink one of the cans now, and then perhaps the second one in an hour or two and then go to sleep, but a voice in my head (me) is telling myself that I may wake up needing a drink in the night and there won't be any here and that is making me even more anxious... is this normal to feel like this and I know I can't ask for medical advice and I hope that this doesn't constitute such (apologies if it does) but do any other members think I am trying to cut down too much too soon ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to have all kinds of fears and doubts MisguidedSoul.
Have you thought about seeing a Dr at all?

D
Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gradually stepping down must have it's complications I would imagine,I think your best bet would be to go to a doctor and talk to them about it,let them know how much your consuming and if it would be ok if you just stopped flat.I personally don't think an alcoholic could just drink small amounts,it will grow exponentially without even realizing.But that's just my opinion about things,keep coming back,this site is good stuff
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HI Dee74, thanks for your reply

Yes I have thought about it.. was hoping to try and avoid going though.. mainly because my work requires me to have a medical report yearly... worried in case I could lose my job i guess...

But with the way i'm feeling today I think I need to go too...managed to get to sleep last night but today I don't feel good at all

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it's normal to have all kinds of fears and doubts MisguidedSoul.
Have you thought about seeing a Dr at all?

D
Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! There is a lot of valuable information here. You don't have to be alone going through this!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Misguidedsoul

How about going to A&E...I am pretty sure that that doesn't necessarily go straight on your medical records...

Really no one here can tell you what is safe to cut down to because everyone is different. Maybe try talking to NHS direct. They might be able to advise you what to do and where to go. Maybe a drop in centre rather than your usual doctor...? Or phone Drinkline 0800 917 8282. I'm sure some regional drug and alcohol services are confidential too and you can self refer. It may be worth googling what is available in your area.

Regarding that voice in your head...it may be worth looking into AVRT (google the 'crash course'). That really helped me early on.

Glad you are here and please keep us updated on how you're doing x
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I know for a fact that cutting down didn't work for me. I would do it for about a month, and then go right back to drinking heavily.
The only thing that worked for me was finding the right AA meeting, where I felt comfortable enough to talk. I finally found that, and got a sponsor, and now have 6 months.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

cutting down didn't work for me either. it was just an excuse to keep drinking. sometimes (especially late at night) i would pour myself a drink and just let it sit there... as though there was some comfort in knowing that i can reach for it at any moment. crazy huh?
most of the time i would eventually drink it... it wouldn't get me buzzed or drunk, it was just a mental resolve.

first days of sobriety are very hard, but with each day it is going to get easier. anxiety and strange feelings/thoughts are a normal part of the recovery process. read any post here, and your story will be reflected in majority of them.

depending on your previous consumption you might seek medical help... that being said, sometimes we worry about worrying more than the reality itself. (at least i do).
Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would think having to have a medical report wouldn't reflect poorly on you, since you are attempting to make yourself better and healthier. That's just kind of how I see it, and I am an employer. I would rather a sober employee than anything.

Cutting back didn't work for me, I always drank more in the long run, quitting all together was my only option, and IMO, the only option for an alcoholic. I cannot entertain the thought of EVER drinking again.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Hi and welcome Misguidedsoul

How about going to A&E...I am pretty sure that that doesn't necessarily go straight on your medical records...

Or phone Drinkline 0800 917 8282.

Regarding that voice in your head...it may be worth looking into AVRT (google the 'crash course'). That really helped me early on.

Glad you are here and please keep us updated on how you're doing x
Hi Hypochondriac, thanks for your reply

I have decided that I will see my doctor.. going to ask if it has to be put on permanent file..and if it does I guess I will deal with any fall out if and when it comes....

Just rang drinkline, thx for number.. they were very helpful and suggested i see doctor too ..

Goimg to look into the AVRT thing you suggested..

I'm glad I am here too, the welcome has been fantastic and I can't say how thankful I am for all the advice i am getting .. I will definately keep you all updated

Will be ringing my doctor as soon as they open !
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrooke View Post
The only thing that worked for me was finding the right AA meeting, where I felt comfortable enough to talk. I finally found that, and got a sponsor, and now have 6 months.
Thanks for your reply soberbrooke

I'm uneasy about contacting the local AA group.. I guess it's because of the unknown and I don't know what to expect...or even say when i get there .. !
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The AVRT crash course is really what set me on track too, hope it is some help to you!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober4myboys View Post
The AVRT crash course is really what set me on track too, hope it is some help to you!
Thanks sober4myboys I appreciate it
Old 06-25-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Misguided I am 6 months sober thanks to getting AA. I was lucky to have somebody take me to my first meeting while I was waiting for a detox. I didn't want to go to my local meeting just in case I knew anybody there! I am now thankful to have 2 local meetings I can get to as I have no transport for the meetings further afield (public transport in Wales not so great!!)
I found in the beginning just to sit, listen and be made to feel at home by people who understood me so good I kept going back.
If you want some contact numbers PM me and I can give you local AA contacts in Wales and they will be happy to chat on the phone or meet you before a meeting?

This site is fantastic as great to have 24 hour access to people who understand and truly want what's best.

Take care
Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serensam View Post
Hi Misguided I am 6 months sober thanks to getting AA. I was lucky to have somebody take me to my first meeting while I was waiting for a detox. I didn't want to go to my local meeting just in case I knew anybody there! I am now thankful to have 2 local meetings I can get to as I have no transport for the meetings further afield (public transport in Wales not so great!!)
I found in the beginning just to sit, listen and be made to feel at home by people who understood me so good I kept going back.
If you want some contact numbers PM me and I can give you local AA contacts in Wales and they will be happy to chat on the phone or meet you before a meeting?

This site is fantastic as great to have 24 hour access to people who understand and truly want what's best.

Take care
Thank you serensam, I have sent a pm to you for those numbers..
Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had your PM but haven't posted enough to send you a message back - guess I need to share a little more!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have found that you have a meeting on your doorstep available EVERYDAY! You can phone AA number and they will put you in touch with local contact but will PM you more info on meetings in your area.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me, I tried many many times to just cut down. Never worked for me. Two cans would only give me more reason to have more - I had the 'what the h*ll, I already started ' mentality.
If I have one drink I'll have several.
Best of luck to you...you can do it!
Renee