Notices

Alcoholism in "Dallas"- Old and New

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism in "Dallas"- Old and New

Has anyone noticed how much covert (or perhaps overt) alcoholism there is in the soap opera "Dallas"? I've spent some time watching or rewatching the old, classic version but haven't had much patience to check out the new revival. But, watching the old series, I marvel at the obvious, namely that, aside from "Sue Ellen", who, after a disastrous episode of drinking, makes a very good recovery, about half the other characters seem to be, if not alcoholics, then certainly "problem drinkers". "J.R." and "Bobby" are prime offenders. It seems that when ever they enter a room they head for the liquor cabinet. The same is true with Cliff Barnes, who may have bad genes inherited from his dad, "Digger" Barnes, the falling down drunk. Ray Krebs, the "good ole boy" ranch boss, usually heads for the frig. for a beer when he comes home and was drunk for weeks when Donna was away. He was mournng the death of his icon, "Jock", founder of Ewing Oil, with whom he often went on drinking bouts (with obligatory bar fights) in downtown Dallas, betting on who might drink the other under the table. Ray is some role model for his nephew, "Mickey", with suggestions that drinking is macho even if it's of the underage variety. "Mickey", drunk in downtown bars, sometimes gets the worst of a bar fight. And the drinking starts every noon at the Cattlemen's Club (also for the Cattlewomen) or at numerous other Dallas eateries. There the members of the "cartel" gather and Cliff Barnes, entering, usually says "Buy y'all a drink!"
So how come everyone's liver seems to have survived long enough to make a whole new series?

W.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haha, I haven't watched that since the 80s. I didn't know there was a revival though. Will be interesting to see how they deal with alcohol now...
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but Larry Hagman actually had an alcoholism related liver transplant. I recall reading that he drank quite a bit on set.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Texas is apparently a huge drinking state and Larry Hagman was up to 5 bottles of champers a day on set
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Larry Hagman calls himself a very lucky man.

I loved Dallas in the 80's and I watched the new version last week for the first time and I think it has potential.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

P.S. Come to think of it, only "Miss Ellie", the surviving owner of Southfork, and her daughter in law, Pamela (Barnes) Ewing, seemed to have normal drinking habits. The two babies, "John Ross" and "Christopher" were probably subsisting on straight milk rather than spiked egg nog, but you never know, do you?....

W.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find this interesting...I lived in Dallas for three years, and contrary to Texas being big on drinking, I would say more that the opposite is true. There are many cities that are "dry"...meaning they don't sell alcohol in any stores at all, and only a few restaurants in town do, but if you want to buy drinks, you have to give the server your drivers license so they can make a record of your name and other vital statistics...for what reason I do not know. I do know there were entire cities in Texas that were extremely religious and drinking was very frowned upon in the community. Where I lived, you would have to drive 10 miles if you wanted to buy booze, which is funny because where I live now you can buy it every couple of feet.

I'm still an alcoholic no matter where I am though, dry or otherwise.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I only said Texas were big drinkers because i read that Austin was the fifth biggest drinking city in the US (Milwaukke No.1). Personally, I think the UK, where i live, has a massively unhealthy and enabling attitude towards alcohol. That said, JR and Bobby were mainly home drinkers (every moment seemed to be played out with glass in hand or about to pour one) and it was in the 70's, maybe things have changed... my impression of southern US is quite bible belt but you don't know what goes on behind closed doors with the booze.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know what you mean Catlover...Austin seems to be extremely liberal compared to many other parts of Texas. I do think in the 70's "day drinking" was more widely accepted and I would imagine even moreso in the fabulously wealthy oil rich town of Dallas...it wasn't such a big deal for someone to have a drink or three over the lunch hour. Or for the booze to flow freely in the workplace. Now as a nation we have become more puritanical about many things, but really only on the surface. As you said, who knows what goes on behind closed doors with the booze, or anything else for that matter. Most times I'd rather not know!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hiya Whiteknucks,

trying to make a difference to what goes on behind my closed door.. sorry to judge others..

all the best

Cat
Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think a lot of the soaps in the 80's were like Dallas, with characters constantly in the liquor cabinet. I feel like it was also much more popular for real life folks to have an ample supply of liquor in their own homes back then as well. I don't think this is the trend any longer, and I'm not sure it's because drinking became unpopular. I think it is media based. Television shows tell people how they should be living. Instead of staying home and drinking at mini bars, characters are out at clubs and bars. That's where we are drinking now as well.

In the case of Austin, where I have lived for 5 years, many offices have alcohol stocked in the fridges in break rooms. At an office where my husband worked, it was not unusual for folks to be drinking margaritas or beers during lunch. Here in Austin, the drinking culture is huge, and a huge part of the economy. Makes it quite difficult for anyone trying to quit.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Also, nice thought provoking post wpainterw. Also, I see you're in Mass. i moved to Austin from Boston, and can say that the drinking here is probably just as rampant!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, Songtex, up here in Mass. it seems like booze is big. Reminds me of that line in "My Fair Lady": "Gin was Mother's Milk to her..." I can sense it vividly in the smaller food stores, where more than half the space it taken up by shelves of booze and I see folks at the checkout counter buying "lunch", namely beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets. Just over the New Hampshire line is an enormous state run liquor store, conveniently right off the superhighway. "Don't drink and drive but do stop in and buy a case or two, or three or four...!" Asked a taxi driver whether drinking problems became worse during the long, cold winter months and he replied, 'You better believe it!"
As for the U.K., all I know is that I see on the old classic films. Usually the butler fetches the booze and there are few discussions at the Club without it. Lots of brandy being swirled about in gigantic snifters, crustaceous Port being passed around after the "ladies" leave. Stilton used as an absorbant. Jolly good! What? What?

W.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

J R in real life had a liver transplant.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
J R in real life had a liver transplant.
Yes, and it's an interesting question as to just where in a priority list of potential recipients an alcoholic with a long drinking history and a questionable prognosis should be placed. There are bound to be lots of variables, ethical and otherwise. In the new series Larry Hagman appears to be in reasonable shape physically. Didn't get a chance to look into his eyes. In the old series, when one looked at his eyes it seemed like looking directly into the eyes of a snake or lizard. A perspective on the "lizard brain" or "beast" often referred to by the Rational Recovery AVRT folks. Very scary stuff.

W.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

P.S. Dallas Lovers! I just got through watching Sue Ellen hit bottom in Season 9, Disk 1. It seems like a rerun of all those old movies like "Lost Weekend", etc. in that she ends up literally in the gutter drinking out of a bottle in a paper bag with derelicts, being jeered at by hookers and racially violent types and finally ending up in a county hospital detox ward with a case of screaming DT's. This of course is the classic Hollywood version of alcoholism, still valid for some unfortunately, but inaccurate in that in today's world alcoholism can persist in equally dangerous, indeed potentially fatal, ways and need not involve trips to the gutter, dramatic and terrifying cases of DT's. It can just sit there and slowly rot you away, gradually taking away everything you have and love, piece by piece, including your self respect, until you're just there alone with the booze. In a way this may be more terrifying than being down there in the gutter.

W.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

and now Sue Ellen plans to be the next Governor of Texas!

i always thought that they stuck her in rehab.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah, I watched the early Dallas episodes religiously - like every Friday night! I was amazed at the amount of liquor that was always an integral part of the show. But then again, I worked in an office where all of us would go out for lunch every Friday and have three or four glasses of wine with our salads. Then there were always many happy hours to choose, from....one gave three drinks for every one purchased. Whew. DUI's weren't that big of a deal either (I had two). The "new" Dallas seems to have toned down the drinking quite a bit - I don't really notice. However, living in Austin, I know that it is still quite acceptable to get really blitzed, but I don't hang around bars and people that drink a lot anymore. Not that I am a saint, it is just that I have gotten older and haven't drank for almost a year. But this may all be an illusion.....most of the people I know that have had trouble with alcohol (me included) drank alone at home. It is not as cute to make an ass out of yourself in public places when you are not 21-35, looking good in a tank top and shorts, you know! Oh, and the hangovers and physical effect of overdrinking really show when you are older. Young drinkers beware: you pay for it when you get older most of the time if you over do it.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We used to watch Dallas, followed by Falcon Crest ( based on a winery) every Friday night. I do think people had well stocked liquor cabinets back then, but these days so much wine is consumed. It's kind of fun to peek into people's shopping carts at the grocery - so much wine.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hung out with Larry Hagman at Dallas' Earth Day celebration this year in his very cool, renovated, vintage, solar-powered Airstream. He was quite nice