Notices

Father's Day & then some

Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Father's Day & then some

I've got a pie in the oven, fresh peas picked for dinner (Delmonicos that my husband, in spite of the holiday, will grill in a little while), have helped our two remaining adult kids under our roof in some garden work, which pleased their father because they did it without dragging their feet or doing anything half-assed. Laundry's hanging, it's a gorgeous day, one of the two absent kiddos has already made his Father's Day call home.

But a pall hangs over our house today. We were called last night after an all-day AA gig by another member who'd stopped to check on someone who was absent and unreachable for the past two weeks. He looked in her window and saw her dead on her sofa, unrecognizable as the lovely woman she was in life. It was so bad, Haz-Mat had to be called in to remove her body. The empty pill bottles lying around indicate a likely overdose. I was told details about the condition of her body that I really wish I hadn't heard. I can't get the image out of her head.

During the call, we asked for the whereabouts of her son. He was at the meeting. He had just learned of his mother's fate. His mom was my age, either a month younger or older (I'll be 44 in a few weeks). This young man is 26, father to a beautiful 4-year-old girl and husband to a lovely wife. He's been sober a year, since a rehab stint following his 2nd DUI. We headed into town and us, along with three others, kept vigil with this young man till almost midnight last night.

His mom's name is Amy. Amy was in and out of the rooms for years. Amy was an alcoholic, and she struggled with pain pill addiction. I talked with her and shared my E, S, & H about my internal struggle, wanting to believe the two were separate. Amy had tried NA, but she didn't feel like she fit in. Amy tried AA many times and was in more than out in recent months. She had a sponsor she was frequently "fessing up" to. Amy had a hard time avoiding making some new man her higher power (her admission -- we talked about this at length).

Now she's dead, and any of you out there who are praying types, please include her son, John, and his family in your prayers. I'm going to try to keep busy shelling peas and helping make this a nice Father's Day.

Thanks for letting me share.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As alcoholics in recovery we see so much more of this heartache than normal people. Thank you for sharing this.

We are not able to reach everyone in the way we would like to. God has his part and so do we. It sounds like you were a comfort at times to Amy. That may have been your exact purpose for being in Amy’s life.

I just prayed for her son and his family.

May you enjoy your family and the beautiful day.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

ty Sugah

I sure will pray for John

If any feel that as alcoholics we appear somewhat sentimental, let them stand with us a while on the firing line, see the tragedies, the despairing wives, the little children; let the solving of these problems become a part of their daily work, and even of their sleeping moments, and the most cynical will not wonder that we have accepted and encouraged this movement.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Sugah)) - Sending prayers for John and all who loved Amy.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. That kind of story strips away any spiritual pride I may currently have.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out for John and all who love Amy

I'm glad you were helping Amy...and then comforting John.

My HG has a custom I rather like...we put a black bow
with a streamer on the front door when a member
dies. It's left until after the services.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I posted in the alcoholism forum a few weeks ago about my daughter's biological father. He shot himself somewhere on or around May 11th and wasn't found until May 23rd, two days before my daughter graduated from high school. These two, so close together--different details, but plenty of similarities--it's a lot for this head of mine to take. I intended to post over here on this forum about the struggle I was having with anger, but I worked through it with my f2f group. Once I could see I was angry with the condition, I could let go of my anger toward the man.

At the meeting last night, I saw an unfamiliar woman sitting at the end of the table. She was unfamiliar until she opened her mouth to speak, and I realized she was a woman I worked with two summers ago. She had lost what looked like about forty pounds, had bruises on her face and arms, and apologized for tripping over the Promises she was reading. She said she'd broken her glasses. It was her first 24 hours sober, and many looks were exchanged across the table. She and I talked on the telephone this afternoon, and she believed it was no coincidence that of the several Saturday night meetings she could have chosen, she chose ours where we were grieving the loss of one of our members.

Thank you for your prayers.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-17-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

sugah you are all in my prayers.