Sometimes you thing you are further along than you are...

Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sometimes you thing you are further along than you are...

This probably qualifies as a vent post. I am so much further along in my codie recovery than this but I am am having a total emotional melt down about it all. My brother almost died two years ago from withdrawals from alcohol. I paid for 30 days in a rehab for him..(he skipped after three weeks) and then he paid me back for part of it. He has maintained he has been sober now for 2 years.....I know that to be a lie and after the last episode he admitted it to me...finally. I do not support him....I don't send him money...I just listen and talk when he needs support.

Last month I gave him the gift of a trip to visit me ( for his 50th B'day). Told him I would pay for his gas to drive down or a flight....which ever he wanted within a particular "cost range". He took me up on it and was excited about visiting....coming here the first week of June. Then he back tracked...too busy...stuff going on...appointment with a counselor.. Ok...me ... no problem. Open invitation. So then he burns up my phone for two weeks....all needy ....drunk a couple of times....all worried about the therapist session....and now totally gone...not responding, no feed back after the therapist appointment. Nothing....

So what do you do? I am not financially supporting this person, I am only here for moral support.....I have no vested interest. How do I deal with this?

Ignore him when he does reach out? Talk to him?

It is so frustrating......
Old 06-17-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Sometimes going no contact is the answer...for both of you. It doesn't have to be a life sentence, however, a break may help him wake up and give your time to re-evalute the entire relationship.