Notices

My Threads been locked.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Threads been locked.

Since I joined here, it was for help and support, and to encourage others to remain sober. Just because I don't agree with a few people's own views and state my own I'm getting ridiculed. The day I lose my voice, is the day I'm 6 foot under. We all have different opinions on recovery and are at different stages, please don't stereotype.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Relax. While I have not read your threads, I do know that it might not be what you ate posting that gets them locked. When people start flaming and getting all worked up id when they lock them, because doing that is not helpful to anyone. It might drive someone to drink.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree Elisabeth888.
Threads get locked for many reasons.
Nigel1969 Your thread looks like it was locked because it was going off track and the answers/comments that were being given had nothing to do with your original question. The last post on your old thread explains why the thread was locked.
It had nothing to do with you. Go ahead and read the entire thread again Nigel1969 you will see.

Have a great day guys
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nigel,

The worst thing you can do is start a new thread about one of your threads being locked. The administrator already responded why the thread was locked, so there is really not a question of why.

Originally Posted by Anna
Since this thread can't keep on track responding to the poster's question, it's being closed.

The original post had nothing to do with AA versus non-AA and that argument gets really old, really quickly.
I'm guessing this thread is going to be locked also. The best thing to do in these situations is to private message the person who locked it if you feel it wasn't right.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't see where you did anything wrong, Nigel. To me, it appears The thread was closed because it was practically being hijacked and turned into another issue. Your oringal question was legitimate--and was no longer being answered. You have a right to your recovery using whatever means you choose--and as long as you aren't bashing another program, I say all good! Just my two cents.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Nigel, how is the sober battle going today?

I recall things flip-flopping pretty quick those early days...barely hanging on one day, running a victory lap the next. It does get better.

Just stay the course!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep with it Nigel - concentrate on getting yourself better.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nigel, dude, It's not all about you.

I used to think that everything that happened in my universe, in my own self centered view of the world.... everything that happened was because of something I did wrong, or something I did right... I got the credit... or, the blame. In my own mind I was either exhaulted or ridiculed...

Then I got recovered and I am beginning to realize that I am just like everyone else... just another Bozo on the Bus... LOL... Nowdays, I know that when I start feeling like that, and I still do... progress, not perfection, you know... I realize that I am putting myself back at the center of my egocentric universe.

Your thread encompassed the top two controversies that we at SR love to argue about... NA Beer (though a check on Wiki revealed that Shandy is not exactly the same thing) and AA vs non AA... we here at SR have beat those subjects to death, dragged the bodies through the street and hung them from lamp poles... I have been guilty of being an enthusiastic participant in some of those threads, LOL... shudder...

Anyway, it ain't about you.

Keep posting, quit drinking and get recovered!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A softer compassionate approach to newcomers
IMO is better than one that is harsh, stern, and
noncompassionate. That is how I would like to
be treated and thus will treat you the same. :ghug3
Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what the "chat" is about--politics, drag racing, macrame, animal husbandry--someone always seems to be there to play the role of "troll". It can be really hurtful. People write things that they would never say in person. People on this website are going through some tough action and don't need that kind of abuse. One of the many things that I love about SR is that they pay attention to that kind of stuff. Thank you. Have a great day, everyone, and be the best person you can be!

Gaffo
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's keep the focus on welcoming and helping the newcomers.

Nigel I have PMd you about the thread. These kinds of comments should always be kept to PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with Sharon. I'm sure we all get enough snide comments and looks about our problem in our daily lives. I love running here to people who get it and can just be supportive. It has made a world of difference in my 8 days.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Nigel, threads straying from the original post are very common, but your particular thread devolved into an argument about AA versus non-AA. That is not an argument that ever gets resolved. Whenever a thread goes in that direction, it is generally closed. We do not bash other support systems here. The fact that it was turning into just that is the reason your thread was closed.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok Suki, it was never getting argumentative, just other peoples points of view, regardless of agreeing or not. There was no nastiness whatsover. I'll just forget about it now, and move on, it's no big deal really I guess.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I enjoyed following your thread, Nigel. I am trying to decide whether or not I want to try AA, and the debate interests me. Of course I just love a good debate anyway, and I don't always detect hostility where others do. Hostility is what I call "getting interesting."

But as far as the thread getting shut down, I get it. I think it's important for newcomers like us to be open-minded about whatever support systems are out there.

Anyway, you've been very strong about hanging in there with your sobriety! It's a bitch, but I hear it's worth it. I haven't gotten to the "worth it" stage, but I'm keeping the faith. Hang in there!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You know what's a big deal Nigel?....You not picking up a drink today....That's a big deal. Congrats on 11 days...Hang on to it!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I'm glad it was locked. AA vs Non-AA debates are like God vs Science debates. There never is a winner haha.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nigel,
You did not lose your voice. The thread is still there. It is just locked. You now can post here.

What I have found in the short time I have been on the site is that it is best to stay away from AA vs non AA postings. I think you ruffled some feathers with your comment later in the thread. There was a warning by Anna that it would be locked if it went to AA vs non AA. It did, and after the last 2 posts endorsing AA it was locked.

Although very interesting to read (I love a little drama) this argument is not helpful. We need to stay positive on this site. Take what you can from every source and use it. Don't discount anything until you read it or try it. If it works for you share it with others. If it does not work for you, be careful about your wording if you decide to share because it may be working for someone else. Remember, a lot of us are hanging by a thread and I'm sure you don't want to be the one to cut it.

Great job on staying sober! I wish you a great future.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The last thing I'd ever want to do is cut someones thread, mine is probably the thinnest right now believe me. Is there ever a right and wrong with any debate, thats what the whole things about, expressing and listening to other view points. This AA v none AA argument will go on forever, and if it helps people, thats great, but it's not for me. Oops, I better stick to my subject, sorry.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nigel,

Calm down and relax. I know you're upset about your thread being locked, but you're still sober and alive. A thread on the internet is what you make of it. Outside of the internet is where you find your sobriety making you a better and stronger person.