Notices

Is Shandy cheating?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Shandy cheating?

I had a glass of shandy last night, feelings of guilt this morning.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its alcohol so yes...sorry
Old 06-12-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well... only you know what you can and can't control, so only you know whether it's 'cheating' or not. You set your own rules for your life and your drinking and you are accountable to yourself so you must decide what having shandy means to you. If you're feeling guilty, though, I'm inclined to think that it probably wasn't something you should have done. Guilt is a stupid feeling, and ruins our resolve... so it's up to you how you move on from this. How you react to that shandy over the next few days will be the key thing. Having 'just one drink' can turn into 'just one night of drinking' to 'every day drinking' pretty quick. Hope that doesn't happen to you, but don't let guilt drive you to do it again, either. Good luck and all the best x
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, probably. Then again, I can't say it appeals to me. Strikes me there might be just enough to set things off, but nowhere near enough for anything else.
For me, definitely not worth it.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've just read the bottle and is 0.2% alcohol. I also wash my hands with alcohol gel which probably soaks into my skin. Does that also class as cheating?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why did you have a glass of shandy, Nigel?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Never really worked for me, kept the idea going that I "needed" something.

Even at social occasions I now only drink coffee/tea or a soft drink- it's not a big deal once I was over six months
Old 06-12-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As far as I'm aware, the hand gel is isopropyl alcohol, which isn't the same thing. I could be wrong, but if it's the same as the swabs they use when you get jabs, it'll be isopropyl alcohol.
Some people won't use mouthwash because of the alcohol in it. While I think that's extreme, I can sort of see their point.
Let me ask a different question. Why did you feel the need to ask us whether it was cheating or not? Because you felt guilty? Why did you feel guilty? Was it because you felt like it was cheating?
When I was drinking every day, there were times when I'd phone my fiance and confess that I'd had a drink. 'You don't need to tell me every time,' he'd say. And I wasn't. I'd phone him when I was nagging myself 'What the smeg did you have that pint for? There was no reason. You could have not had it.' Why had I? Because I was passing a pub and needed to use the toilet, or was standing outside a pub, waiting for a bus in the rain. Or even because I'd been passing a pub and I knew nobody would know I'd stopped off for a quick one, because it took so little extra time. In other words. Guilt.

Nigel, you asked. I don't know what answer you wanted, but I'm guessing you didn't get it. If you honestly don't think it's cheating, and you can genuinely have just one and not want another or feel the need to move up to something stronger, that's great. I get the feeling that you're not sure, and that's why you asked.
Hang in there. Do what you know you need to do to stay sober. You're worth it, trust me.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nigel1969 View Post
I've just read the bottle and is 0.2% alcohol. I also wash my hands with alcohol gel which probably soaks into my skin. Does that also class as cheating?
Well said. That about sums up the idiocy of those with a fetish for purity. I personally wouldn't ask a question like the one you did as you'll have you confidence beaten to a pulp by 12-steppers. They may not know much about addiction but they sure know how to do that.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank it because the water is warm and cloudy from the tap, and the only liquid I had in was a bottle of shandy from about a year ago. Was the best of 2 evils. My tomato juice had ran out and I was so thirsty. I'm still sober after 9 days, but finding it harder each day to avoid having a beer. Don't know how long this sobriety is going to last. It's a daily struggle.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I believe 0.2 % is less than a lot of non-alcoholic beers. This should help you decide...
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's all about the reason behind WHY you did it----more than WHAT it is...In my humble opinion!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

I drank Shandy as a kid when I lived in England. They sell it at a corner shop. Me and my friend tried to get drunk on it and could not bc there is hardly any alcohol in it otherwise it would not be sold to kids. I wouldnt beat yourself up over it.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank it because the water is warm and cloudy from the tap, and the only liquid I had in was a bottle of shandy from about a year ago. Was the best of 2 evils. My tomato juice had ran out and I was so thirsty. I'm still sober after 9 days, but finding it harder each day to avoid having a beer. Don't know how long this sobriety is going to last. It's a daily struggle.
Now that just sucks. I've lived in places where the water in the taps was, quite simply, foul. Dehydration is really not nice, as I found out over the weekend.
And yes, it's not easy. I've slipped up more than once since I decided to quit back in May. I can't offer any easy answers. Keeping your blood sugar up helps. Making sure you've got plenty of liquid in the house, or with you if you're out, helps too.
I don't know how long my sobriety is going to last. So far, it's lasted longer than any of my other attempts, so I'm in uncharted waters. But I know how long I want it to last. And I know what I need to do to make sure it does. And if I do slip, I won't beat myself up about it. I'll pick myself up and start again.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I learned a new word today. Shandy. That won't be on the list of beverages I consume :-)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If it has alcohol and it knowingly passes your lips, then whether you think it's cheating or not you are walking on dangerous ground, especially if you rationalize drinking it. I remember the rationalizations I used to have a drink. "Well of course, I had to have a couple, my boss was there and he was drinking" - "I was out with the guys and our team won. Everyone toasted them. If I hadn't it would have looked like I wasn't one of them"

Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful
Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Is 2 shandys ok then? 3, 4 20? I've been offered shandy actually, and declined it. I've had 1 "alcohol free" beer which turned out to be <0.05 % I was still a bit annoyed though, but I'd already drank it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with what WritingFromLife said. If you drank the Shandy to hydrate yourself because you had no other options, then I wouldn't worry about it. If even part of you wanted to drink Shandy because you were hoping to catch a buzz (which would be really difficult anyway), then it might be a problem.

Personally I don't completely avoid all alcohol. I still use mouthwash, I eat beer battered fries, and have wine vinaigrette on my salad. Its all about the reasons why you would consume these foods\drinks IMO.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LDT

If .2% alcohol is a problem for some, then make sure you check out the various fruit juices available in the market. Many varieties have at least that much.

Although I have no way to verify this....there was an article in a national newspaper about how using hand sanitizers on a regular basis ( which I do because I'm a musician and teach ), can soak into the pores of your skin and register on a drug screening. It won't get you drunk, but could possibly cause you to lose your job.....so said the article.... ( myth perhaps?)
Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...I'm still sober after 9 days, but finding it harder each day to avoid having a beer. Don't know how long this sobriety is going to last. It's a daily struggle.
Nine days is nothing to scoff at. Still early in recovery, so yes, it's going to be a daily struggle. Sobriety is hard, especially when compared to the relative ease of getting drunk.

But you'll never, ever, wake up feeling guilty about NOT drinking!

Go out, pick up lots of non-alcoholic substitutes, like sparkling mineral waters and tea. Then, please, open yourself up to finding and working a viable recovery program. Your white-knuckling method doesn't appear to be leading to success.