Notices

why bother

Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cb1

why bother

I know that sounds bad, but last night (day 3) I was so depressed and hurt that I wonder if being sober is even really worth it...am I a lost cause, or just feeling sorry for myself. I feel ok tonight, but brrrr those nights hurt....any advice?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Day 3 is usually miserable for most. I would be depressed until day 5 or 6, then my outlook on life would improve. Fight through it and try to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 3-6 were the worst for me but then it got better. Hang tough and before you know it your head will be held high and you will be living a better/sober life.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
I know that sounds bad, but last night (day 3) I was so depressed and hurt that I wonder if being sober is even really worth it...am I a lost cause, or just feeling sorry for myself. I feel ok tonight, but brrrr those nights hurt....any advice?
I can relate. I am thinking that the feeling is "self-pity".

Boredom, loneliness, isolation, fear, ...all these things are not good either.

We need to get out of the house and create our happiness.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if sobriety wasn't worth it then you wouldn't see the hundreds of users on this site fighting day in and day out to regain control of their lives from the clutches of addition. If anything in your life is worth fighting for its your sobriety because without it life is empty and full of pain and sorrow.

You are not a lost cause and you can take comfort in the fact that everyone that gets sober and stays sober had the same exact feelings you are sharing now. You can do this and I can promise you that it WILL be worth it.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

...besides, have you ever met someone who was sober for many years say "you know what, my life was much better and I was much happier when I was a drunk" - I know I haven't.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cb1

that did get me thinking....is was nice to wake yp without a blackout, stupid phone calls/texts i sent out, and not having to check my bac before coming to work.............damn those witching hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please give yourself time to de tox....Day 3 is usually not enough
and drinking again will not help you win.

Just begin again...I too had false starts on my way to solid recovery
To stay sober...I required changes in my actions and attitudes..

I found support ...information and understanding when I connected to AA..
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

CB1- Day 3 SUCKS. You'd think it'd be okay and that the worst 2 days are behind you but there's something about Day 3... Maybe it's the first time your brain is free enough from the fog to generate some more panic and negative thoughts and crazy talk. And your body is feeling just enough better that you're not consumed with concentrating on physical discomfort. Just get through it- Day 4 should rock.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

In my very early recovery i had to reach back and remember all the pain i experienced drinking. Al the dreams delayed, opportunities lost, how disappointed i was in myself. Where was that little girl so full of life and hope and dreams? I had to desperately cling to the hope that i could find some part of that person again if i quit drinking. I read posts and listened to people who were a few weeks, months and years sober. They said it wasn't easy but it was better and i had to believe that they weren't all lying. I listened to the people who said AA helped and i had to see if they knew something i didn't. Basically, you've gotta tap into the hope that started you on the path. It's not much but you've gotta feed it every day. And believe every person who says that it does get better.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a GOOD thing...it means that you are experiencing the beginning of recovery and your body and brain are going through changes and adjustments. Please don't beat yourself up by thinking it's something negative like being in self pity or on the pity pot. Keep moving forward. I'm in my second month. You can do it!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi CB1

I've been keeping a journal. In the first couple of weeks I'm pretty low, but then I can read a clear improvement over the next couple of weeks. It's early for me (6 weeks) but if I had to plot my mood on a scale of 1-10 I think I was 2-3 those first couple of weeks and about 8 now. I imagine it takes a different amount of time for different people, but give it time.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

why bother
Because a lifetime of freedom is well worth a few weeks of discomfort, boredom, and fear.

Keep moving forward, cb. You wouldn't have started this journey if you weren't sick of the place you've been. If this were easy, no one would die an alcoholic. But it gets so much better. In fact, it gets awesome.

In the meantime, try to focus on the positive stuff. In the early days, when I would be tempted to pick up some booze, I would remind myself how great it felt to climb into bed sober after a glass of milk. How comfortable the sheets and pillows were. I slept like crap, if at all... but I was safe, and I knew I was moving forward.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't tell you that sobriety holds any wonders for you, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that if you feel like you say you do, it'll be puppies and sunshine compared to what's waiting for you on the other side of a drink or drug.

Be honest about what the last few weeks/months/years of your drinking was really like. Eat as much candy and ice cream as you can and hang on for dear life.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
I take all those creepy-crawly feelings and emotions and dump them at my AA meeting regularly. Like taking out the garbage.

All the best.

Bob R.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For me, this is the third day 3 in a month. The first one was pretty rough, the second a little better, and this one somewhere in between. It does get better. Just remember to be careful, and not to go to places where you're likely to find it hard to not pick up a drink.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi CB1

i think a lot of us get used to instant gratification as drinkers...in recovery we get to learn sometimes we need to sit and wait....

3 days is not a good base from which to judge your whole entire future.
It won't always be like this - I was still sick at 3 days.

Give yourself some time - I dunno about you but I gave 20 years to drinking - you can probably give a little more than 3 days to recovery?

D
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
4-23-2012

I'll go out on a limb and say you're not lost. You made it this far, so you're smart and you're doing the right thing. Three days is a turning point for some, things start getting better. Later for some, earlier for others ; based on what I have read here.

I wish I could record the feelings I had that first week. I would love to experience those feelings when I consider drinking again. I do not think about drinking every day any more. Life has improved.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hang in there, these feelings will pass I promise you, each day you are sober the stronger you will become.
it is worth it

love
caiHong
Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 16 and I can tell you that Day 3 was awful. I was so tense that I bit my lip so hard that I gave myself a huge bruise, without even realizing it. I was weepy and so anxious I felt like I was going to have stroke. 13 days later and even though today was hard, I feel like a different person. Keep at it!