Notices

quit smoking good - why not quitting booze

Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quit smoking good - why not quitting booze

When someone announces they are quitting smoking (say on FB) -- there is so much praise, you can do it, way to go etc. While alcohol use is glorified, praised, joked about - really doubt one would get the same encouragment or praise if they said they were alcohol free for X number of days. sorry - vent over
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Smoking is perceived to be a killer. Evil evil evil.

Alcohol is something we do to celebrate. Good good good.

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic and will die if they continue to drink.

Smokers are thought to certainly have smoking issues no matter what.

Seems like a double standard but it is all in the perspective.

Those on the alcoholic side of the isle are certainly slighted by the indifference.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good point..thus perhaps my vent - I know what side I'm on. And thank goodness for SR to get that encouragemnt for quitting all addictive substances.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What you say is SO true and I think it leads to one of the biggest frustrations when you are starting to realise you need to quit when you have a problem. I know at least for me, I am jealous. I'm jealous that I can't drink the way others do and I'm frustrated that other people don't get it -- there really is a stigma. I think also when you're admitting to quitting drinking -- you're admitting to so much more. When I smoke cigarettes, I don't do anything stupid or treat anyone poorly... I just shouldn't smoke because it will kill me, it's filthy, expensive, and smelly. When you say you're quitting drinking, there typically is a REASON why you quit drinking. Thinking about this, I actually feel really bad for the people who do have an out of control drinking problem because of the amount they drink... but nothing actually happens negatively when they do. I could imagine for these people, there is a lot less support because other people don't see an outward problem. For people like me, when I say I'm quitting drinking people are relieved because they hate who I am when I drink.

Sorry for the ramble, what you asked was interesting.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

but nothing actually happens negatively when they do. I could imagine for these people, there is a lot less support because other people don't see an outward problem. For people like me, when I say I'm quitting drinking people are relieved because they hate who I am when I drink.
So true -- in my case. Outward I'm ok - good job, house, car etc. But I hate who I become when I drink. Most people just think I really like to party - they don't see me when the bars close and I go home and drink all night or all weekend.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

http://http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ucm297786.html

I post this list of 96 harmful substances in tobacco. There is no safe exposure to the toxic smoke of cigarettes. I used to smoke and after reading that list you couldn't pay me money to pick up another one. Tobacco won't kill you; it's all the other crap they are allowed to mix in with it.

Now, alcohol's list of ingredients is much smaller but it is just as harmful since it gets into every single one of your cells and disrupts its function.

A great book is "buzzed: the science and lore of alcohol and caffeine". It really brings to the forefront how alcohol indiscriminately affects your body.

I agree that alcohol is more socially acceptable than cigarettes, but no one ever got liver cancer by sitting next to someone drinking!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A great book is the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, it really brings to the forefront the disease of alcoholism, and the effect it has on our minds and bodies.