Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My H is a recovering opiate addict. Question for other opiate addicts

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My H has not used opiates since Jan and has been off suboxone for a little over a month. He's had problems with various addictions since he was a teenager. I did a lot of drugs myself back in the day but never got addicted to anything so it's difficult for me to know what he's really going through. Over the last year he's gone through our entire life savings, we almost lost our house, he had an affair, and even took our young children with him to buy drugs!! you might wonder what the hell I'm still doing with him but I do love him and I know he's a good person without this garbage. He became everything he said he hated in other people! My question is, what is he going through? He's still moody, lying (mostly about the affairs), unmotivated, and a bit callus. My H is not this kind of person by nature and I know that opiates really mess with your brain chemistry. How long does it take for an opiate addict to get back to normal? I'm under a lot of stress and it's starting to affect me physically. I love him and I know these things take time. I'm just hoping someone can tell me what to expect and how to help him through this efectavly so he'll stay away from these horrible drugs that caused him to do such awful things.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR barbarella20722.....I'm not an opiate addict...I'm an alcoholic. But we have some here...I'm sure they will chime in. We also have a Friends and Family Forum where you can talk with people just like you. Glad you are here.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome barbarella -

I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through - it has to be very difficult. Have you gotten any counseling or support? I think that makes all the difference for both the addict and the family - at least it has for me.....

Check out the link in Sapling's post and also, you might want to check out the Nar-anon groups in your area:
Ohio
Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Sapling's advice is great, and as Artsoul mentioned you might want to check out NarAnon. It could be a good support for you.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm in IC. He's gone to one meeting and one IC appointment. I know he needs some extra support but I don't want to sound like I'm telling him what to do. His moods are getting better so I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I just believe that he needs to be around people that are do well in their recovery. So he can see that he doesn't have to do this alone and there is only so much I can do for him. I'll check out the other forums as you've suggested. Thanks.