Notices

Canadian May 2-4 Weekend & My Birthday

Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Canadian May 2-4 Weekend & My Birthday

This is our first Summer long weekend here in Canada.
Where everything I read on all my social networks and hear from all my friends is how s***faced everyone is going to get morning, noon and night.
It is also my birthday weekend...(birthday is next Tuesday but everyone goes back to work).

I don't have many friends because of how I became a hermit with my drinking but there are a few out there that will try to get me out to bars and whatnot.

This is going to really be a test for me.

But I know...that this birthday weekend, in a long time...I will be sober.
I will remember it.

Last year, on my birthday I drank all day...my boyfriend took me out to a restaurant that I wanted to go for a long time...I don't remember half of it and he said I was acting like biotch (which I was).
I fell asleep in the car on the ride home and actually fell asleep at 7:30pm that night.
On my birthday.
Sad sad sad.

Won't happen this time.
I'll just think back on that birthday. Instead of actually celebrating a new year of my life I drank through it and erased more then half the day.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

What a great start to a new year for you this is going to be!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
Where everything I read on all my social networks and hear from all my friends is how s***faced everyone is going to get morning, noon and night.
What a treat...Just make sure you miss out on that...I can't believe I used to think like that.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Michael! I agree!!

I know Sapling.
The normal drinkers will have fun, maybe...
There are SOOOO many people out there though that do not plan on drinking at all during the weekend! What an alien idea!!! -- When I was drinking 24/7!!
Now I think it sounds fabulous. I will think of them too!

When I hear people say they are going to drink all weekend...whatever...to each their own...but I wouldn't drink like them...I would get blackout drunk.
What is the point. I always thought I was going to have fun...instead I didn't remember half the weekend come Tuesday morning.
That's not living!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No one has any suggestions on what I should do if I have a dilemma?
Phone calls and texts are flooding in asking me to go out or people suggesting they are going to come over unnannounced?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Bayliss, Is there something going on for the holiday weekend that doesn't involve going to bars? Are there any friends you can make a plan with who don't drink?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

No is a very powerful word Bayliss

It was very hard for me to learn how to use it - I felt uneasy for a long time saying no and sometimes still do....but I knew what was right for me - I knew which way of life was best for me.

You seem to have reached that point too - so it's time to stick to your guns.
No apology is needed for looking after your best interests. No guilt required.

It's your birthday - it's your day - you can spend it any way you like

D
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I literally have no friends who don't drink and family is all over the world so that isn't happening.
This kind of weekend people are drinking 24/7. You'd figure it's mardigras. The liquor stores are packed and it doesn't matter where I turn there is booze there. The people that do know I don't drink don't know I have a problem or the rumor mill is going to start and I am not dealing with that so early in my sobriety right now.

The annoying thing is the showing up an announced thing.
I already have one person saying they are going to show up to get this "birthday weekend started" and I am SO DAMN IRRITATED!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

I know I have to say no. And I will. I just don't want to deal with the bs and questions after. I think that is more my concern.

Maybe I will turn off my phone and hide under the covers.
I literally don't want to talk to anyone right now I am so frustrated.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, there's always the "I'm sick" or "I have a headache" excuses if people show up and offer you drinks. In fact, that can work through the whole weekend if you don't want the "rumor mill" to start.

But it seems to me the best thing you can do is come up with a pro-active alternative plan... how about a movie? Or 3? Or a hike or a walk or... anything.

Holiday weekends are tough, but you can get through this if you want to. More so, you can enjoy it, not just survive it. Remember what you wrote this morning:

"I always thought I was going to have fun...instead I didn't remember half the weekend come Tuesday morning."

It really is your choice. I think if you decide right now to stay sober this weekend, you can do it. And you'll probably have more fun and remember it come Tuesday!

Check my sig, below.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like your sig Deserto.
It makes a lot of sense to me.

I was just doing so much better this morning and then I went out to the stores and saw so many people buying alcohol, seeing/hearing people on their patio's with their beers.
ANNOYING.

I am miserable and irritated here right now on Day 3! :-Z
Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When it gets really bad I run. As fast and as hard as I can so I can barely breath. It gets rid of the craving and clears my head to remember why I don't drink and how much better my life is. Try to remember why you aren't drinking. It's worth more than partying with people who really aren't your friends because if they were, they wouldn't be doing this to you. You can stay strong, Bayliss.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Anvilhead and Tuitiefruitie...

You guys are right.
I am sober and that is all that matters.
I think I might journal tonight about why it is that I don't drink and what exactly happened last time I did get drink.

I guess it was a craving that hit and I had to ride it out.
I need to remember that I don't want anxiety, depression, high bp, freaking out, crying, empty calories...

Okay...I need to focus now.
Actually...no, I need to relax.
Everyone is beginning to get ready and go to their local watering holes...I hope they sideswipe my place.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Grab a timmies and a good book. Try not to think about what others are doing, just know that you will not be hung over in the morning!!

Have a great weekend, the weather is fantastic.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Bayliss, you mentioned a dilemma. What are you talking about? Do you mean you aren't sure if you are going to drink or not? Really?

You are being mindful, and this is a good thing, you are conscious of you in your situation. Don't stop at this though, create a vision for yourself. Turn that into a commitment and then into a plan.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Bayliss,
I live in Toronto, so I know that feeling like you are missing out on all the fun this weekend. I may have to avoid Muskoka all summer....all I did up there was sit on the dock and drink all day/night haha.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Go Bayless!!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
This is our first Summer long weekend here in Canada.
It is also my birthday weekend...(birthday is next Tuesday but everyone goes back to work).

I don't have many friends because of how I became a hermit with my drinking but there are a few out there that will try to get me out to bars and whatnot.

This is going to really be a test for me.

But I know...that this birthday weekend, in a long time...I will be sober.
I will remember it.

Last year, on my birthday I drank all day...my boyfriend took me out to a restaurant that I wanted to go for a long time...I don't remember half of it and he said I was acting like biotch (which I was).
I fell asleep in the car on the ride home and actually fell asleep at 7:30pm that night.
On my birthday.
Sad sad sad.

Won't happen this time.
I'll just think back on that birthday. Instead of actually celebrating a new year of my life I drank through it and erased more then half the day.

My birthday is Monday. I will be sober. We will be sober. Yay us :day1