Notices

what is it about vodka??? drink of choice?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is it about vodka??? drink of choice?

Dang....what is it about vodka????

Seems to be alot of us alcoholics drink of choice. It really is the "cunning" part of alcoholism that I think they talk about. It only would take me one drink & I always wanted more. If it was a beer, I could have 1 or 2 but the beer wouldn't make me feel the way vodka did.

I guess I was just thinking about it as the couple times i've relapsed, its always been with a nice bottle of vodka. What is it with vodka????

I relapsed yesterday again thinking maybe I could moderate (7 drinks later...by the way, if you are new, 7 drinks is NOT moderation) wish I could take back that urge, the obsession, for "just one more"...why must we torture ourselves!!

Anyhow, just venting & telling on myself
Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It has very little smell so it's more difficult to detect. It's often cheap too.
It’s rumored to be habit forming.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vodka is cheaper and can be mix with most sweet drinks. Vodka has a very strong smell to it like any hard liquor but people think you can drink Vodka and you can't smell you drank it which is untrue.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Awuh is correct....vodka is odourless so people can't smell it on your breath. I learned quickly to ditch the whiskey and rum. I would reek the next day at work. Also, vodka is much 'cleaner', meaning its distillering process eliminates a lot of the impurities and toxins, whereas darker spirits have loads of crap in them...making your hangover worse.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The few times I drank Vodka, it could always be smelled on me. Then later, when I always smelled like beer whether drinking or not, that didn't really matter.

I don't dislike the smell of beer....but I hated what getting drunk did to me and those around me. There is no accomplishment in my life that can justify me delibertly becoming an adult ****** with a short temper.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
Awuh is correct....vodka is odourless so people can't smell it on your breath. I learned quickly to ditch the whiskey and rum. I would reek the next day at work. Also, vodka is much 'cleaner', meaning its distillering process eliminates a lot of the impurities and toxins, whereas darker spirits have loads of crap in them...making your hangover worse.
Your not drinking Vodka if you can't smell it. That's one of the biggest myths about it. People will believe that because clear but not true. Anyway I think most of us when drinking half a bottle of the stuff we didn't care what we smell like. LOL
Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank vodka when i was younger, mixed with orange juice, stayed away from it for years, so I wouldnt develop a problem with drinking, someone told me long ago "Stick with beer and you will be ok, you can drink as much as you like".

Beer i could get used to, never hardly touched the 'hard' stuff for years, in the end 30 beers in a day or 1 as long as i was a keg was needed, maybe 4 or 5 of those huge glasses at the mexican restraunt, then more regular cans at home.

A 'couple', 3, 4, or 1 the size of texas, it's all the same in the end, 'drunk', but hey I drank vodka like a gentleman.

That kept me drinking for years because I didnt drink the hard stuff, I wasnt as bad as others, I only drank beer.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stick with beer and you will be ok, you can drink as much as you like

Funny how that works eh SB? I wonder if that tends to be an Irish thing....

Anyway, good post, well said~~~
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vodka WAS my DOC. Quick easy buzz, cheap, and yes odorless if you ate something with it. It is evil.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've observed the same thing about vodka. Lots of us end up there. For me, it was the brutal efficiency of the stuff. I love the taste of a good bottle of beer but who has the time to drink 8-10 to get that buzz?

I kept a bottle in my freezer and decanted the stuff into Fiji water bottles for drinking on the go.

Somehow, I thought that was normal.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ahhh, the water bottle. I thought I was the only one. You could drink it right in the open if need be. As a bartender it was the least smelly alcohol on my customers breath. I have saved a ton of money on altoids and mints since I quit. Still can't drink monster cause I used to pour out half and fill with vodka.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with SomethingBetter...I only drank beer...It cost me everything I had and almost killed me. I don't care what kind of alcohol you drink....If you're an alcoholic....The results are never good.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Vodka doesn't have as strong as a smell as other alcohol. However, many people can still detect it. You can also put vodka in clear containers, and it appears to be water.

If you were to drink beer, or brown liquor it is much more obvious with the smell.

Thing is, that smell comes from your stomach and your pores. Vodka is just easier to hide (or we think it is)

I used to drink Vodka, but quit doing that years ago and switched to ultra light beer.

When I was drinking vodka, I would literally take it places in water bottles with me. If I had been drinking Vodka, and I had somewhere to go, someone coming over, etc... I would take a shower (drink it while in the shower) get out of the shower, brush my teeth, get ready, and use mouthwash and DRINK some of the mouthwash, I would also drink some lemon juice. Then, proceed to chew gum. Pretty bad huh?

I haven't done that for years, thankfully... Don't miss it at all either.

-RDY --DAY 5 and counting knocking out the <--booze
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmm yes odd a lot of us end up using vodka , me included. It does smell but smells less than other types of alcohol and is easier to mask a little. Sure stinks coming out your pores once the binge is over ...ughh

As mentioned its highly effective to getting your BAL up fast versus non distilled drinks, high efficient and potent and is available in over 40% is some places.

Its a compact form as stashing or hiding a bottle has as many units is easier to conceal than 24 pack of beer. Maybe thats part of the reason as I think a few us try to hide our stash, I know I do and really only fooling myself...

God and when I ran out , frickin vanilla extract looked good , talked about a stink....

The fact is a drink is a drink , vodka , beer , wine , whatever.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

choice

drink of choice was just a cold heineken.. but i have been drinking water con gas (sparkling water and just been going to meetings, one a day keeps the drink away!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tvarsky 100 proof was my DOC.

Cheap, get you buzzed quick, smell was LESS than whiskey etc.

Just started with Vodka and stuck with it. Honestly, it all tastes like crap in the end lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Vodka was definitely my DOC. I used to drink beer but it just became too filling. Then I started to enjoy the romance and elegance of wine but before long it wasn't strong enough, not even a box was enough(which incidently removed any elegance). I found hard liquor gave me the desired results the fastest without feeling bloated. Vodka, while it does have an odor, was the least detectible and as others have mentioned, you can mix it with almost anything, conceal it in water bottles, etc. It was by far the easiest, most efficient way for me to drink how I wanted when I wanted without giving away how bad I had really become. In the end though, I could no longer hide it, no matter how hard I tried.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarylandRick View Post
Vodka was definitely my DOC. I used to drink beer but it just became too filling. Then I started to enjoy the romance and elegance of wine but before long it wasn't strong enough, not even a box was enough(which incidently removed any elegance). I found hard liquor gave me the desired results the fastest without feeling bloated. Vodka, while it does have an odor, was the least detectible. And as others have mentioned, you can mix it with almost anything, conceal it in water bottles, etc. It was by far the easiest, most efficient way for me to drink how I wanted when I wanted without giving away how bad I had really become. In the end though, I could no longer hide it, no matter how hard I tried.
This ^ couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was a beer guy, never really liked vodka. I would just pound beers and use mouth wash.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to drink up to a pint of 100 proof vodka in a day on the weekends on top of a case of beer. I drank it because the hangovers were not as bad, but many times I would still wake up drunk the next day.

I would drink it straight and chase it with beer. It tasted like crap, but it got me really drunk, really fast.

It also made me black out very bad. I broke my foot while on a binge at home. I have no idea how I did it. I could have fallen down the stairs and broken my neck, so in a way I was lucky it was "only" a foot.

There is no such thing as a "no tell" liquor. Vodka smells bad, especially when it's coming out of your pores during a detox.