Notices

without my dog i'd give up

Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

without my dog i'd give up

Honestly it's true. I have a hefty pitbull named Zorro who loves people more than anything in his life. I am in such a dark place these days. I feel like drinking was the only thing that kept me from slipping into an abyss and now that I've stopped my feet are dangling over the edge.

i get up each day and live robotically; i just don't care about anything in my life. i told zorro this morning that he's a major reason i can stick around on the planet. he licked my face like a maniac so that's a nice thing.

is it pitiful that i'm closer to Zorro than anyone else--friends, family etc.?

Zorah
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dogs are amazing creatures. It's almost like they know what you're feeling, I love my dogs to death and for some time they were closer to me than anyone. I'd just chill in the house drinking all day while they sat by my side. I too felt like I was living robotically... Hell I still do feel that way sometimes. It's good to mix in some new things from time to time, for me I started small, trying new restaurants etc. it adds a little spice to your life. As for dogs, they are a great companion, unwavering in their loyalty that's for sure, but at some point you'll have to break the bubble and start new relationships with real people. Remember that when you talk to a dog, they can't talk back, talking to people truly does help. Best of luck
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling Zorah.

I had my amazing cat for the longest time but the last year that I had him I was perpetually drunk...I had to put him down in February and although I can remember memories with him I am ashamed to say that I was always drinking / drunk around him but he was still always there for me. I just wish I was more there for him. :/

It's funny you posted this. I was actually thinking of adopting a dog. I don't know.

How much sober time do you have under your belt now?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know, but right now I feel the same way.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think it's pathetic, I think it's great. I love dogs, and I wish I could have one myself. But my landlord doesn't allow pets, and I work too much to take care of one.
I don't have any friends or family right now who can help me with what I'm going through. I think its nice you have Zorro
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay, no pun intended, but have you looked into PAWS, post-accute-withdrawal-syndrome?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think you're being smart to rely on your beloved dog. I rely on my two for sure and not ashamed of it either. They're my biggest reasons to stay sober. They're also my best friends and my 'kids'.

You may want to seek help, either thru a doctor or counselor if your persistant dark mood doesn't lift in time. :ghug3
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I love dogs myself but I couldn't imagine having a dog while I was actively drinking. Poor pup would have just sat inside my apartment and watched me get drunk and smoke cigarettes all day. I definitely was not capable of taking it for walks as I could barely walk myself in those days...
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're struggling, but it's not pathetic at all to hear how your dog is helping you.

My wonderful Siamese was my rock and the only 'person' who stood by me in the darkest days. I am forever grateful to her.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

is it pitiful that i'm closer to Zorro than anyone else--friends, family etc.?
Nah, not at all. Dogs are phenomenal. Mine died in September, nine months after I quit. He helped me get through those early days, for sure. I still miss him like crazy, but when he died, I knew I had to keep on going. He deserved better than to have his death used as an excuse to drink.

Be grateful for your dog, Zorah. And be mindful of your moods—sometimes alcohol causes depression, sometimes it masks it. Get some professional opinions if it doesn't lift soon. In the meantime, be proud. You're moving forward every day, even when it doesn't feel like it.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Poems In Praise of Dogs
Old 05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love my dogs too Zorah, I pity anyone who would think you (or me) pathetic! Be kind to yourself and your dog as he is to you. There is nothing truer than a dog's love.

Lovely poems Least, thanks for sharing! I shed tears reading them.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Zorah, if you are pathetic, then you had better move over and make room on the pathetic bench for me! I have two bulldogs, and they provide me with so much love and comfort. I don't know what I would do without them. They love me unconditionally. They never complain about me. They always eat what I serve them for dinner with enthusiasm. They are always so excited to see me when I come home, even if I have only been gone for 10 minutes.

They are my babies! My teenage son refers to them as my "favorite children", lol.

So I obviously find nothing wrong in finding solace and companionship in your canine family members!!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My pet got me thru some tough times. They love us unconditionally...
as we should love ourselves.

There were times I would be so depressed..then a gentle nudge from
my dog would cheer me up enough to go on.

I did get better as the time passed. AA helped a lot. Seek some
additional help also as some have recommended here.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My wonderful dog is helping me through my grief in so many ways.. He is amazing..
Old 05-16-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love my doggies so much. I swear towards the end of my drinking career they were the only reason I was alive. I'm sure they like me sober much more too!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

<---- See the Mastiff in my avatar? She's one of the main reasons I got sober. She was a puppy when I'd take her for walks with beer in a paper cup. (Couldn't leave home without it.) I was impatient and annoyed with her, though she probably never knew it. She didn't deserve that - she counted on me for love and entertainment. Her life wouldn't have been the same if I hadn't quit.

So no - you are not pitiful. Loving animals is a wonderful trait. You will get there, zorah. Better days are coming.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thought not a dog, my cats have truly kept me on recovery road. They love me, unconditionally, and that's pretty cool. My Elvis kitty once kept me clean, and I am forever grateful to him

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Zorah,

I am single and live with two dogs and four cats. Last year the love of my life (Sissy, my dog) died on July 17. I often thought about killing myself before I quit drinking, but just couldn't do it because of my pets. Three weeks after Sissy died I decided to honor her by quitting drinking. I haven't drank since August 10, 2011, and everytime I think about drinking I always think about Sissy, and I don't. My other dog at the time does not do well alone, so I got another rescue dog (Obie, my avatar). Nothing will ever replace Sissy, but I love all of my animals very, very much. I like animals more than people. I still isolate, mainly because after work and on weekends I just want to be home with my animals. I know that is probably not healthy, but that is what I want to do. I was in a nightmare abusive marriage prior to moving to Austin to get away from him, and I just like being with my animals. I have friends that I see occasionally, and my daughter and her family are close by - I see them once a week at least - but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with your love for your dog. I think it is beautiful. Stay sober so that you can be the best you can be for him. You sound like a wonderful person to me.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks everyone. It's nice to know I'm not alone in having an animal companion who's been key to my sobriety. When I look into his eyes I don't see any judgment--just total love and acceptance and I think that's very healing for an addict. We're so hard on ourselves and can't imagine being lovable.

I'm almost 30 days sober, so I gotta just hang on. I'm going to call my sponsor.
It's great to have friends.... :-)

Zorah