Notices

without my dog i'd give up

Old 05-16-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Zorah, at 30 days, you are freshly new and can be extremely helpful to the newcomer.

So when you get to a meeting, make a newby's day brighter and reach out, say hello, talk, get their number and call them to see how they are.

Get other numbers of those who have been around, too, reach out, and say hello. No matter where we are at in recovery, we need each other to help us. Knowing someone cares, giving a smile or lending an ear, it's what we need to do.

It is by reaching out that I have been able to get my year.

My cat has helped me immensely! She's a "deeohgee" so don't call her a "cat" and don't call her a "dog." Her early years were spent in a home with dogs, cats, and children, so she's a little confused (she is the sole recipient of attention now), but Deeohgee works for her! (yes, she does follow some commands, but being a deeohgee, she must first think it over, just like a good alkie...following directions is not in her repertoire!) She'll take a suggestion any day!

Take care of that pooch and of you!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
a southern belle

It's love. Pure, unadulterated love. Whether from a human or from my three Pom babies...I know when I am being loved. And, their love is for sure and certain in a world where nothing is...good love...mags
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days sober Zorah, It really does get easier!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

30 days is fantastic, Zorah, congrats on a major milestone!!

Sugarbear has a great point—you're in a perfect place give newcomers encouragement. I know volunteer work always makes me feel so much better about the world and and my place in it. There are usually various animal rescue/shelter and wildlife rehab places on the lists of groups in need, come to think of it...

Remember you're body is still adapting to this new life. Alcoholic drinking causes changes on a cellular level, and it can take a bit to adjust both physically and emotionally. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats Zorah on 30 days....

I can totally understand where you're coming from - I adore my two dogs and being sober with them is GREAT !
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
I love my doggies so much. I swear towards the end of my drinking career they were the only reason I was alive. I'm sure they like me sober much more too!
Lol! I know my Retriever likes me a lot better now. She looks at me like "why the heck are you giving me so much attention all of the sudden?". Not that I didn't before but.....
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes! Do it for the dog! You can do it! Talk to the dog. Hug the dog. Tell the dog everything that hurts. Be honest with the dog and the dog will help you be honest with yourself. What you are looking at is LOVE, all covered with fur. Unconditional love, on your side, rooting for you every step of the way. Don't let the dog down. Don't slip. Do it one day at a time (One dog at a time? Well if it takes more dogs get more dogs. Anything that works). And go out and get yourself a copy of Caroline Knapp's book, "Pack of Two", telling how she managed to kick her alcohol addiction (see her earlier book, "Drinking- A Love Story") by replacing it with a dog addiction.
I'm a dogaholic. Overdosing on fur.

W.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You are all so kind. I love that there are so many animal people on SR! Today was another bleak day where to do anything at all felt like torture. My performance at work is practically non-existent which concerns me a lot..so I really need to pull myself together. But tomorrow is my 30th day, so I want to stay focused on that for the moment. I'm taking my dog over to the local coffee shop and buying him a donut for his support.

Blessings,

Zorah
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zorah View Post
You are all so kind. I love that there are so many animal people on SR! Today was another bleak day where to do anything at all felt like torture. My performance at work is practically non-existent which concerns me a lot..so I really need to pull myself together. But tomorrow is my 30th day, so I want to stay focused on that for the moment. I'm taking my dog over to the local coffee shop and buying him a donut for his support.

Blessings,

Zorah
Kinda having the same feeling about work as of right now, I think just emotionally I'm going through changes. I haven't had any complaints but I'm kinda just doing my job and going home, going through the motions I guess.. . I'm hoping I start to brighten up soon or else I'll probably schedule an appointment with my doctor and get an opinion from her if I need a psychiatrist or counselor. If you have any pics of your dog I'd love to see! Hope you're doing good today!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

zorah and eh1988,

I became sober on August 10, 2011. My work is very mentally challenging and my work performance was getting really bad before I stopped drinking. After I stopped drinking it got a little better (not being hungover, I guess), but I still wasn't performing even close to my expectations. Everything just seemed so hard. (Everything - chores, every day life stuff was monumentally a big deal!) Now that I am 10 months sober I have seen my mental capabilities get sharper and sharper....I never will be Einstein, but I am doing things at work that I know I could not have figured out if I was still drinking. I probably would have lost my job by now if I hadn't straightened things out. Actually very likely would have lost my job...it was getting really scary. Now I am really contributing and I am truly part of the team - I have pride in my work, and I can tell my co-workers appreciate what I do. I am no longer ashamed of my performance (or lack of) and I now look people straight in the eyes and talk to them like a normal human being. I just realized I am beginning to become authentic. Wow. Anyway, what I am trying to say through all this drivel is that it takes a lot of energy in the beginning to be sober, and to face all the mental and emotional stuff that pops into your head and awareness as you awaken from the fog. And you have to face it sober!!! Be easy on yourself. Do a little at a time. Your main goal of every day is to get through it without drinking, and show up for work and do your best on that day. Your self esteem and awareness and mental sharpness is right there with you....it always has been...it is just waiting a little while to come back to your consciousness. It will, I promise. Please hang in there. I wish you both the very best. Take care.