Drugs

The United Nations estimates that the world is host to:
  • 8 million heroin users
  • 13 million cocaine users
  • 30 million users of amphetamines
  • 141 million cannabis users
  • 227 million sedative users
  • 1100 million tobacco smokers.
Over 100 million people are dependent on the tobacco trade for their livelihood.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Drugs are big business and I bet this estimate is on the low side too!

I wonder how much rehabs, clinics, doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists, etc are making a year too!

IMO, It's like cancer, there is way too much money involved, why find a cure??
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In comparison...

Cancer rates could further increase by 50% to 15 million new cases in the year 2020, according to the World Cancer Report, the most comprehensive global examination of the disease to date.

Of the estimated 32 million heart attacks and strokes that occur globally each year, about 12.5 million are fatal.

346 million people worldwide have diabetes

Cancer, heart disease and diabetes combined do not come close to the number of drug addiction sufferers. Tell me again where the true health care crisis exists?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

That number is just the estimated user....not all the people effected. The cycle of addiction will just keep growing.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I maintain that addiction is the pandemic that scientist and medical experts have feared for decades. It is here, now, and it is killing our loved ones.

I don't have the solution, the easy answers are often the hardest to implement. So for now I will keep praying that one day these statistics will no longer be so shocking.

Hugs
Old 05-04-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yes, and we have the predisposition being passed onto children of these drug addicts and alcoholics....scares the do do out of me.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
IMO, It's like cancer, there is way too much money involved, why find a cure??
LiveLeak.com - Cancer cured in Canada using a drug called DCA
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not to mention prescription drug abuse, those numbers would be astronomical as well.
I recently took my daughter in for some abdominal pains and they asked if I wanted her to have pain medication, they recommended vicodin!!! I said, nothing with opiate based and we ended up with regular ibuprofen (fine by me!). My daughter is 15!!! When my son was 18 (the RAS) he was prescribed vicodin for his wisdom teeth. Little did I know he became addicted to them and that was the start of Mr. Toad's Wild ride for the next 3 years. I HATE Drugs. My poor Mother who was dealing with Cancer was prescribed oxycodone and though she only took the recommended doses, she also became addicted. When she didn't take one (on her good days) she exhibited signs of withdrawal. How horrible, to be dying from cancer (from smoking ) and then to be facing drug withdrawals.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is a reason for those numbers, and this is not new and drugs are not new by a long shot, and yet the face of many drugs have changed, especially since the late 70’s, early 80’s when cocaine’s popularity really started to rise. Really now we have crack, they do the freebasing for you, heroin well you didn’t think it would wait around with it’s 8-12 percent purity need a needle to use, now pure in most areas … what a door cocaine’s popularity opened. Pot plants genetically engineered to contain higher levels of THC. Oh and they do the same with the poppy, trying to make it produce the alkaloids most wanted without the ones that have no real use. Methamphetamine, the demise of the drug war, now what we have is it being more dangerous and toxic than what it was. Want to blame someone for it’s place in the chain, the DEA is where that blame goes.

And each drug has their own history and that plays into where drug addiction is today. To even remotely begin to understand the problem you need to understand how each drug changed and all are more potent.
You need to understand that every action really does cause a reaction, which can’t be predicted. How society and our views really effect the problem. How the government does, how greed does, how making legal drugs taboo effects as well. How our pill to cure all society went a long way in influencing where we are today And somewhere along the line entitlement stepped in with some generational shift in priorities.

Dysfunctional family units play into this, mental illness plays as well but this is one of them is it the drug or the person to begin with, cultural influences are a factor, stupid nanny laws to protect us from ourselves, the speed in which our culture runs, on all the time, everything effects the complexity of addition.

And what has changed, really? For as much as we all hear if nothing changes then nothing changes, well this means in every aspect. So what has truly changed in it all, not much. What is missing definitely an education before the fact, we are failing at educating parents before their child becomes an addict. Hugely failing here.

And the government, well they are still fighting a war they have long since know has failed, while they have their hand in the pot especially with opiate addiction, as they waste money to fight that war that could be better spent in other areas and they think , which is delusional of course this can be controlled, and we all know where control get us.

Add in the assignments, the stigma, a just another junkie mentality…

And here we are today so much worse off than where we were. and make no mistake none of this is new, including pill addiction, prescription drug addiction was huge when I grew up. There were so many pretty colors to choose from, and the first one I got from my own parents medicine cabinets, valuim and demoral...names might have change, but really not much different than today.

Such a sad state for our children, and maybe the hope is in us, those who have used and or watched. Our health will effect a change in the chances for our children and their children. It is the only thing that in the end might be a positive within all the madness and devastation.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

questions...

Where are these numbers from?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pills are messy business. One of the issues is the wording. Your Mother is not an addict. She is dependent on the substance. There is a difference. Just because someone is experiencing symptoms found in the DSM IV does not mean they are an addict.

Being an addict runs at a deeper level. Your son on the other had may be an addict. TO determine the difference it is more important to look at what happens when the person is completely off of the substance. If they say something like "thank the Lord, that was miserable, I do not want to feel like that" and they do not touch it they probably were just dependent and caught a habit from the pills, because thats determined on the chemical make up of the drug. If they go on a "run" start lying, stealing ect. then they have a much deeper issue.

to keep it simple- For people who are dependent: drugs are the problem, remove the problem life goes on.
For addicts: the drugs are the solution, remove the drugs and things get worse because of them trying to get more of the drugs...

PM me if you want more specific details.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

netdoctor.co.uk
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

to keep it simple- For people who are dependent: drugs are the problem, remove the problem life goes on.

For addicts: the drugs are the solution, remove the drugs and things get worse because of them trying to get more of the drugs...

...powerful stuf KiteSurfIan!!!
(best quote I've heard in weeks)
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Not to mention prescription drug abuse, those numbers would be astronomical as well.
I recently took my daughter in for some abdominal pains and they asked if I wanted her to have pain medication, they recommended vicodin!!! I said, nothing with opiate based and we ended up with regular ibuprofen (fine by me!). My daughter is 15!!! When my son was 18 (the RAS) he was prescribed vicodin for his wisdom teeth. Little did I know he became addicted to them and that was the start of Mr. Toad's Wild ride for the next 3 years. I HATE Drugs. My poor Mother who was dealing with Cancer was prescribed oxycodone and though she only took the recommended doses, she also became addicted. When she didn't take one (on her good days) she exhibited signs of withdrawal. How horrible, to be dying from cancer (from smoking ) and then to be facing drug withdrawals.
IMO physical dependence and addiction are very different fish. Just my thoughts!

Edit- oops, should have carried on reading