Question about Al-Anon

Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Al-Anon

Okay so I am looking at going to an Al-Anon meeting in my area (FINALLY) ... I have a question about the Codes that are used to designate meetings???

What in the world does the "D" mean. On the site it lists "D - World Service District" What is a World Service District?

And often this D is followed by D72 or D75, what do the numbers represent???
Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by chronsweet View Post
Okay so I am looking at going to an Al-Anon meeting in my area (FINALLY) ... I have a question about the Codes that are used to designate meetings???

What in the world does the "D" mean. On the site it lists "D - World Service District" What is a World Service District?

And often this D is followed by D72 or D75, what do the numbers represent???
That's just the district that the meeting belongs to.

It doesn't really mean anything except for special multi-meeting events, where they like to keep track of which district people are from if they know (shows how far the word of the event has spread), or sometimes there will be a district-wide picnic or something and the meetings within that district will be expected to chip in and help organize.

As far as an individual person is concerned when deciding on a meeting it doesn't really mean much.
Umm... Think of it as sort of a zip code or area code or county name or something? Just to designate a geographic area where the meeting takes place.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Okay, THANKS.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck and best wishes chronsweet.
I went to Al-anon meeting for quite a while when I was married to an A. I can say it helps to either just listen or talk about things going on. I felt like it was a "bitter-sweet" feeling---meaning it helped that people knew how I was feeling and that I wasn't "alone" but sad at the same time because people KNEW how I was feeling and what I was going through.