Notices

Dreading the weekend....

Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreading the weekend....

Ive been sober now for 5 days and today i had a panicky moment..the weekends fast approaching and i wont be drinking..it was only a flash thought but for a second i had a sinking feeling at the thought of not finishing work on friday and having a cold beer to look forward to...within seconds i clicked back to my positive thoughts and thought about waking up saturday and having an early morning stroll on the beach instead of crawling out of bed hanging and waiting for the day to end so i could repeat the sad sorry process of downing wine or beer again! i felt a little dissapointed that the thought even managed to creep in...not gonna beat myself up too much about it as its still early days..is this normal...sounds daft as i have absolutely no intention of drinking...i have a bottle of wine in the kitchen and have not even looked at it, spose i just wann know its okay to have the odd wobble Lau xx
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's pretty normal to think about something you've been doing a long time. I don't think it's very normal to keep a bottle in your kitchen to think about....That sounds more like torture to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I have lots of odd wobbles. I think most of us can understand the feeling of loss and disappointment. I know the beer on fridays has become a habit. I find the mornings hard! Mad I know but I loved a cold beer in the morning. First few would be grate but by 2pm I would be regretting it again. You obviously know if you did have that beer on Friday you would regret it later.

You are doing well, its normal to feel like this. Plan something nice for the weekend, a treat for yourself. I have to plan most days, keep busy and keep my mind occupied. And by this time in the evening I feel proud and satisfied that I made things happen today and I'm not just watching the clock wanting to go to bed. Its better this way but you know that. Take care. Well done on 5 days. I am on day 24, its still up and down for me, but I am determined.

Thanks for your post. stay strong.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Empower yourself by pouring that wine down the sink. Then if/when you get the next urge you won't have immediate access to alcohol, which will give you time to pause and overcome the panicky moment. If you can't throw it out, give it away.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with the thought . I started adding other scenarios that ended up cosy in bed pot of tea/or hot milk often reading or snuggling up watching crap on TV and the thought of a sober morning was powerfully enjoyable.
Don't worry about it and have a good weekend.
Oh and good luck with the weather.
John.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hiya,

you and me both.. but we have done so well this week, lets keep strong and be proud of how far we have already come.. 5 days may not seem like a long time, but for me the time does seem to have dragged and today, the same as you, I had a major wobble. I was in the local shop picking up some bread and right next to the till is the alcohol isle, I stood in that cue for 10mins and did not give in and just buy a bottle.. got home and pigged out on cake instead! LOL at this rate I may not be drinking alcohol but I will have to join a weight loss programme instead! Keep strong, you are doing really well xxxx
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

...hehe you're an odd wobble...giggle...

I miss booze and coke all the time. I don't feel guilty about it - if anything it makes me feel really proud that even with the missing it, I'm still sober.

That idea of looking forward to, hang on what did you say? "hanging and waiting for the day to end so i could repeat the sad sorry process of downing wine or beer again" yeah. I figured out that for me, that was cos it's easier. Lazy, really - because when you're drinking, that's all you have to do. At first, the idea of a whole weekend stretching out with nothing to fill it can seem pretty scary, especially when you've just finished your first sober week and really deserve some down time.

But you've already got it figured - what you deserve is a good walk along the beach, a couple of hours with a book, grocery shopping for a new an slightly complicated recipe and time in the kitchen making it with the kids, an hour on SR catching up with new friends, then curl up in bed. Appreciating how nice bed is when it's not spinning.

Haha! That's what I did at first. Fricken party girl! Although, actually, you're in Cornwall, so I'm probably close to the money

We're on the same beach hun - I'll wave xxx

Ha. Wave. Beach. Brilliant.

Oh, and I completely agree with Sapling on the bottle in the cupboard. That would drive me absolutely insane...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just make some plans that don't involve alcohol. I'm planning to ask my husband to take me to a movie on Saturday night so we don't end up with our drinking friends.

BTW, I have alcohol in my house. We have a large and valuable wine collection, almost 200 bottles, and, pouring them all down the sink is most definitely not an option, especially since my husband still drinks. I honestly did not find the availability of alcohol in our home to be a problem when I was 8 months sober before (my relapse occurred while I was out of the country.) IMO, alcohol is everywhere, and just getting rid of the alcohol in my home is not the solution to my problem.

But that's me... if you're not attached to that bottle in your kitchen, and there are no other drinkers in your house, there's no reason to keep it I suppose
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[B[/B] I think you did really well clicking into those positive thoughts so quickly, your bound to have wobbly moments, it's how you deal with them that matter. I think you did great!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ah thanks guys..i feel a million times better after reading your posts xxxx thing bout the wine is...when i made the decision to quit the booze...i thought to myself eveytime i quit i do the same routien..pour any last trace of grog down the sink..then im back down the shop by 6pm :-/ thought if im gonna do this and do it properly, if i cant resist a pathetic glass bottle boing in my kitchen..im off to a non starter, its not bothered me it being there...the moment it starts to..its a gonner!!! Tea seems to be my treat now..like you say time..choccy and cake is also appealing :-/ will give you a wave still when im down the beach next, and john the weathers not looking to hot..all the boats have been moved from the outer harbour to the inner...first sign of a storm brewing!!! Sober...movies are my plan for the weekend, may even treat myself to some takeout food..and this time..not at stupid oclock after a skinfull :-) thanks for all your support and kind words xxxxxxx
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Seasidegirl,

Its a nightmare isn't it? :-o

Good luck with it though and stay strong, it does get easier so I'm told :-)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Certainly a testing time for sure! Reckon we are all made of good stuff though...just cant wait to reach a point where i dont even think about booze ever again. Xx
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Totally normal to have those thoughts and fears, part of our pedigree, so to speak. And that's pretty amazing of you to be able to turn it around so fast, it took me a lot longer than that. Now those kinds of thoughts are rare. You're still getting used to a new routine, new rewards for yourself and ways of spending your free time. It'll take some adjusting. Sounds like you're doing great, keep it up!!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks foodie :-) yeah i suppose its not just a case of getting used to life without alcohol..i find im almost re programming my brain in every aspect...thanks for your kind words xx
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seasidegirllau View Post
movies are my plan for the weekend
We get a massive kick out of watching films from our DVD collection and actually getting to see the end. Amazing. We're like did you know they get blown up? and dude, I don't remember anything past the one hour mark...

Tea and movies, an underrated passtime
Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
We get a massive kick out of watching films from our DVD collection and actually getting to see the end.
Thats so right, you realise these films have an end!
The boat sinks I never knew

I have set myself the task of watching every Woody Allen movie out there
There are 71
Even at 2 or 3 a week, I will be spending far less than I did on booze
actually at 2 or 3 a night it would be probably the same I am ashamed to say

Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyPilgrim View Post
The boat sinks I never knew

The boat sinks??!!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
So it goes

Spoiler alert !!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am on day five myself and feeling the same way. We can do it!