Notices

2 Week fail

Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Week fail

Had some beer over the weekend, up all night drinking. it didn't even feel good, so i don't know what all the cravings are about, maybe I'm craving something good, then use alcohol thinking it's what i want.. anyways on the bright side, i went two weeks, that's better than continuous drinking, and learned alcohol isn't doing it for me. actually felt pretty lousy at work today, slept for four hours when i got home.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean. Every time I drink now, I don't have a good time. My body thinks that drinking will make me happy, but it doesn't. It still doesn't stop me from trying again and again - 5 days sober and counting.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd give some thought to what else you can do in your recovery Dan.

I'm glad you're back and 2 weeks is great but I know from my past gritting your teeth week to week...it's still pretty much balancing on the tightrope between drinking and not drinking...you could still fall either way...

maybe it's time to shore up your 'good side' with some support and get some ballast going?

D
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Yep Dan , I remember well that feeling when beer just did not do the trick anymore or wisky for that matter. Today I saw another grown man carring a 6 pack out of the grocery store with him and I wondered. What is he doing? I don't know but I see alot of angry white men during my day and I would bet half drank heavily over the weekend.
Not me anymore and I hope you reach the point where you may go against the norm and make a decision.

Great to have you back
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can definately relate to that. My mother said to me, not too long ago, "I don't know why you drink, you're not even a HAPPY drunk, you always get so upset"...it's strange how you can continue to do something that doesn't even feel good anymore. Keep striving toward your goal, and you're right, the time you stayed sober does count. It always counts. Good luck to you!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

and learned alcohol isn't doing it for me.
Totally. That was key for me, to finally see the harsh reality of my drinking, not the fantasy of "enjoying a few drinks." I could no longer buy my own lies about it being harmless fun. It wasn't harmless at that point, and it sure wasn't fun. That realization was great in a way, because it meant I could stop missing alcohol. Why would I miss that crazy merry-go-round?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Myself, I don't look at two weeks of sobriety as "failure" as some do. I don't condone relapses, of course not. But that being said, that's 14 days you didn't drink. Myself, I know I can do a lot of damage in 14 days. So just be grateful that you didn't drink for those 14 days, and maybe 14 days will one day turn into 14 years.

All I know is this much: You'll never know one way or the other if you don't TRY. So don't quit, quitting. Eventually you'll get it.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suport/advice everyone, suprisingly, i have no guilt or remorse over this last episode, just learned and moved on, i do, like Dee said need to shore up my good side, with what? is the question.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At least you came back Dan...Some people don't. Maybe it's time to try something different.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

getchurbutt to AA
Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Time to try something different, Dan.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
getchurbutt to AA
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Fdm

I like beer. That is why I cannot drink it.

I stole that from Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Lee said, "I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it."
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Actually, I REALLY like scotch whiskey, but know i go completely bonkers when i drink it, it does give the desired effect. one of the reasons i drank scotch whiskey (on ice, a little water) is the hangover wasn't as bad, but the withdrawal is tough, if that makes any sence. (panic attacks)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm at 15 days and am just glad I made it through the weekend. Don't take this in the wrong way - but reading how you didn't even enjoy drinking (and other people who've relapsed echoing the same sentiment) only helps to keep me sober. I was surrounded by drunk people on Sunday and it empowered me.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fogsolo View Post
I'm at 15 days and am just glad I made it through the weekend. Don't take this in the wrong way - but reading how you didn't even enjoy drinking (and other people who've relapsed echoing the same sentiment) only helps to keep me sober. I was surrounded by drunk people on Sunday and it empowered me.
oh no, that's a compliment, If I said something that's helps you, that's great. you'll find lots of people here that want to help, welcome to SR
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR, Fogsolo.