Notices

Decision made today

Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decision made today

1st day on the forum. Made my decision to quit today. Was successful for 3 years before but fell off the wagon about 10 yrs ago. Rarely drink during the work week, but make up for it on my days off. Typical day off starts with a trip to the grocery store to pick up a 18-20 pack of coors light along with a pork butt or something tasty to put on the pit. come back home and crack one open and start the yardwork, dishes, mopping, cooking, etc. then after about twelve beers i get the energy up to practice baseball with my five year old. the wife comes home and is proud of the way the yard and house looks, but i know she doesn't approve of the method. go across the street and drink a few with the neighbor and look at the job i did with the yard, Hank Hill style, then go home and not even really eat the good food i made??? then the next day off i,m lucky if i have enough energy to even rinse a dish off. I miss the days that I use to enjoy working out, biking, etc. My wife and child need me the most on those days off because I work from 4am to 4pm during the work week. I use excuses like I never drink and drive, I bust my butt a work and home to justify those 18 to 20 beers. Just stay home and drink. I'm tired of it.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Scott,

I am sure this time around you will do something different and have even more sober time under your belt then in the past. You did well for three years, that is a huge accomplishment!
I am curious, after those three years, how long did you relapse for?

I was the same way. I would drink my wine while I cleaned or redecorated my apartment, my boyfriend would come home quite impressed and dinner would be on the stove...half way done...sometimes I would finish that dinner - late...or sometimes I wouldn't finish it at all because I passed out on the couch.

You are right, your wife and child definitely do need you and you need you. So the decision in quitting again is a good one. Congrats on day 1.
And welcome to SR.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

I was a daily beer drinker...really ramped it up on the weekends though. Like you, it enhanced the chores, or so I thought. In the end, the only work I ever finished was working my way through all the beers. Quitting was long overdue.

I'm blessed to be sober almost 20 months. Hope you find the same joy in being sober.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR dscottnmel x
Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm really debating on telling my wife about my decision because i've promised before. She knows it's my non-drinking time of the week so she is not suspecting anything. I'm more of an "action speaks louder than words" person so I think I'll just let it ride untill the expected drinking day comes, and if she questions why then we'll talk. I kinda want to suprise her.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, dscottnmel. Welcome to SR. It really helps to actively replace drinking with a different activity--I know that sounds obvious, but having a plan helped me focus.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It really is all about planning, which is why I drink because I plan it three or four days in advance. How ridiculous. Now if I can plan drinking I can plan anything.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

My house is much cleaner and I'm a better cook/baker when I don't drink...
Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by dscottnmel View Post
I'm really debating on telling my wife about my decision because i've promised before. She knows it's my non-drinking time of the week so she is not suspecting anything.
The only thing about not telling anyone is lack of accountability. You can decide to drink and no one is the wiser...

Just be sure you are not using the decision to "not tell her" as a built-in excuse to drink and you'll be okay.

For what it is worth, I didn't tell my wife right away. But as a daily drinker I think she figured it out pretty quick. You are right, our spouses want to see action, not words. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see your point, being a "planned day off drinker" I feel I should give it some time to prove it, I've said it too many times before. The last thing she's going to expect is to come home and me be sober on my day off. If she questions why, and I know she will, then I will profess. In the meantime I'm showering my family with positivity. Thanks for all of the insight, yall know it helps.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day two of the decision to quit, worked well and enthusiastic today at work. Even though yesterday, today, and tomorrow would have been my regular beer holidays, things just seemed so more relaxed and in control. I did have a moment today like I do every Tuesday reminding myself that I only have one more day of work before I'm free to hit the store and pick up my supplies. Then I thought "hey, that's no longer my desire." I can't drink Wednesday night because I'm gonna surprise my son and take him to the museum Thursday. Pretty sure I'm gonna slam some black coffee that night though. Then top it off with some fresh baked cookies. I'm so excited about my plans.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I quit drinking over two years ago and am so happy sober. The sober me and the drinking me are like night and day. I look back and wonder how I managed to get anything done when always drinking or hungover. (actually i didn't get much done when I was drinking...)
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome dscottnmel!

I can relate..... Drinking seemed to make the everyday stuff and projects more fun, but I usually ended up losing my motivation after a few hours and it was all downhill from there.

Glad you decided to stop drinking - if we can do it, you can too!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck....i know exactly what you are talking about. I've realized though that the more I drank the less I actually got done. I've looked at this pile of roofing tiles in my garage for 5 years with that beer in my hand, too tired to pick them up and toss them....I did a couple days ago without those beers. Funny they weren't that heavy.