Our cat is in renal failure

Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Our cat is in renal failure

The vet says that our cat is in end stage renal failure so we are going to have him put to sleep this afternoon. It is very sad for us. He was someone else's cat for a time because he came to us neutered and declawed and maybe 8 years old already. He'd been lost in the park system and was begging for scraps at the house of a neighbor's friend. My neighbor took him in for the winter but let him roam at will. THe cat fights at night outside my D's window convinced her she needed to take him in at night. After that he decided that he lived with us.

This old cat was one of the few safe topics that we could talk about with our D after she slipped into addiction. When my AD left home nearly 2 years ago, the old guy was a real comfort. Maybe we could not look after our D, but we could at least see that this old cat had a good home. We've had him at least 6 years and he has tirelessly patroled the grounds to keep varmints away. He has made friends with all the neighbors.

The vet said that his kidneys have been failing for a long time. However, he never showed any signs of pain until yesterday. He has been a real trooper. My husband is coming home so we can have him put to sleep so he doesn't have to suffer. I have not been able to contact my D.

We're definitely going to miss our old guy.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your pain. It's the most loving, and yet hardest decision we make for our four-legged companions.

May God hold your aching hearts in his hands.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. The hardest part of having loving fur babies is that at some point, they die, and we are lost for a time. You are doing the right thing for this little guy though. As hard as it is, the last thing you want is for him to suffer needlessly. My heart goes out to you.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for this difficult time you are going through. I'm sending you prayers and a soft & warm hug. It sounds like you were lucky to be adopted by this cat!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. Our furbabies are family and though its the most loving thing to do, it hurts so very much

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just spoke to my D and she seems to be taking it hard but she doesn't want him to suffer either. I imagine he will enjoy kitty heaven where he won't be toothless or declawed, and squirrels wouldn't dare to taunt him.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry EJG{**{hugs to you}}}
Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All my pets have brought me joy and sometimes they were the only source.

You're all in my thoughts and prayers
Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

So sorry, my pets have been my best friends, through thick n thin.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, he passed very peacefully and with the dignity he always had in life.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

(((((hugs)))))
Old 04-23-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. I'm glad he is no longer in distress.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I lost my 14 yr old Yorkie to renal failure as well. He was my first "baby."

My heart goes out to you. I am glad he passed with dignity and with people who loved him by his side.

(((hugs)))
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Funny thing is that I think my cat Rosco was trying to send us a message shortly after he passed. We had taken some of his things to donate them to the animal shelter. As we walked past the dog room, my husband saw a big happy mutt in one of the kennels and jokingly said we should get him. When we went up to the cage, we saw that his name was Rosco just like our cat's name! It was like our Rosco was saying "Don't worry. Be happy." through that big dog's goofy grin. I don't know if I am ready to adopt yet, but I feel like I have Rosco's permission.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I had to put my orange tabby Toby down at 17. He too had been such a comfort through my hardest days and I loved him so very much. So I truly know your sadness and send huge hugs.

Maybe your Rosco is playing with my Toby now...Toby always loved a newcomer. I like to think they are.

Hugs
Old 04-23-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

((Hug)) Only a pet lover can understand. It truly is a loss that hurts.

We lost our little pom after 14 years of laughs with her. We had to make the decision, too, after caring for her the best we could through two years of illness. But she was happy until the last few days. I still miss her. We buried her in our back yard underneath the trees, and placed a little solar light there to remind us of the brightness she brought to us.

Now, my only "pets" are 4 little baby just-hatched birds in a planter on my porch. I check on them several times a day. One egg hasn't hatched yet. They look like precious little aliens! They bring me joy!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am sorry EJG. I too lost a sweet girl to renal disease. Broke my heart, as she was very special to me. I had to let her go when she showed she was in pain that could not be controlled.

What a good friend you were to your boy, and how lucky he was to be so loved and protected. You were with him, as he made that special journey, and he never felt alone. He is now happy , at that Rainbow bridge, waiting for you to someday once more put a loving hand upon his sweet head.
How happy, that he had such a wonderful home, and someone who loved him and kept him safe. Bless you, and may memories of your good boy Rosco bring you smiles to ease your heartache.

Fly high and free Rosco!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So sorry for the loss of your kitty.......
:*(
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A lot of people have been on this forum asking how they can get through the heartache of dealing with an addicted loved one. I just realized that I never mention how much having a pet helps. Cats are especially good at modeling "detachment with love" I think. Our pets love us unconditionally.

I foster animals from our local shelter a few times a year, and it does my heart some good too. I would recommend it if you cannot make a long term committment.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you all had a good life together. I love the life lessons my pets continue to teach me. They love richly and deeply and make me laugh every day.