Notices

Day 6 - rest of my life to go

Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Day 6 - rest of my life to go

Hi all you brave people. This is my first post (on any forum ever). I got into the habit of drinking after work. As I live alone this didn't affect my relationships, or even my work, but I knew it would hurt my health. Now I have finally found the motivation to stop I would love to know how others have coped with the cravings, especially if they have a danger time of the day. For me it's when I leave work, on the trip home. So easy to drop into the bottle shop. I am actually watering at the mouth thinking of the taste of the wine.
How can I stay sober for the long term?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FeelingGreat

Welcome! You sound like me. I used to drink after long day. Went to the shop on the way home and drunk the whole thing on my own.

6 days sober!!! You are doing great!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try changing your routine. Go to the gym, walk or find something else you like to do and try to start doing it before the craving starts or gets bad. That really has worked for me so far.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to get extra help - AA worked for me...kept me out of the barroom and around people who wanted to help. Going on 16 years now! Life is good. Congrats on the 6 days.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day six too. This website has been the strength for me! Keep cooming here, reading and posting, it's like a therapy session for me each time I visit It's helped me to drink sparking water and just get out more. I would just stay home and drink. I've tried to get out of the house a bit. Also I'm focusing on getting all the stuff done around my house that I've neglected for so many years. I'm looking for new hobbies and just keeping physically busy so I don't have time to think or give the cravings any attention....hope this helps. Welcome!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

I went to a meeting so I wasn't alone. At night, I came here and to a few other sites. I also listened to AA speakers online through searches.

Whatever you can do to change your routine, do it. Today, I'm working on less computer time....(it's not working, yet!).

Glad you are here!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liamsdad View Post
I had to get extra help - AA worked for me...kept me out of the barroom and around people who wanted to help. Going on 16 years now! Life is good. Congrats on the 6 days.
That works for me...Congrats on 16 years! As a matter of fact...I'm heading to an AA BBQ today with about 20 of my non drinking alcoholic friends...It's all good.