Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Getting into a new routine that promotes sanity (esp. sleep routine)...

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I am realizing I need to change my routine and schedule in order to have peace and strengthen my recovery. I have a sleep disorder (adult night terrors) and last night I had very bad night terrors-- I woke up screaming three different times.

I have had some stresses at work and in my relationship and I sometimes feel like life is so hard to handle! I'm beginning to see I need to change everything in order to increase my health and happiness. Last night I was invited to this dinner and presentation about water-- my friend wanted me to go, but I knew I shouldn't have, because I'm busy and I really don't have any interest in buying some water machine that cost as much as a good used car, ha ha. Afterwards everyone wanted to go to Sonic so I did but I was sitting there looking at my watch thinking, it's 9 pm, and I still have things to do before I go to bed, and I wanted to go to bed early so I could wake up early....

I guess I'm going to have to get radically selfish and follow a better routine no matter what. I am going to start a plan to get rid of or decrease my night terrors. When I get good sleep and go to bed early, I don't have them as often. However I'm a procrastinating night owl by nature and I always shoot myself in the foot by staying up too late and being too stressed when I go to bed. I need to find a way to manage my stress and anxiety and put a routine and schedule into place.

I was thinking I should go to bed by 10:30 every night and read a book, which is relaxing for me and also puts me to sleep. Perhaps I should also have a routine in place to help me de-stress before bed, such as, a bath, or yoga, or listening to meditation CDs or something. I hope to be asleep by 11. Then I'll get up at 6 or 6:30 and either go for a run/work out, or do my step work and journaling. I work a lot so hopefully I'll be home by 7, which gives me a few hours for relaxing before bed. There's just not enough time in this schedule for socializing much or going out... which is fine with me because I always feel like I should be focusing on myself and doing something better. I realize I take on too much and get overwhelmed and stressed. Heck, there's barely time in my new planned schedule for AA meetings or calling my family who live far away, etc. :-/ I just don't know how to make the best out of such few hours in a day, and maintain my sanity at the same time!! Any tips???
Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's good that you're thinking of this, sleeping well is very important for your well being. I find a routine does help me a lot. I start with a hot shower, then I make myself some chamomile tea and meditate for 20-30 minutes. And after that I listen to the radio or read until I'm sleepy. And I get up at exactly the same time every day regardless of how tired I feel.
Starting to feel much better since I do this
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lotrus View Post
I think it's good that you're thinking of this, sleeping well is very important for your well being. I find a routine does help me a lot. I start with a hot shower, then I make myself some chamomile tea and meditate for 20-30 minutes. And after that I listen to the radio or read until I'm sleepy. And I get up at exactly the same time every day regardless of how tired I feel.
Starting to feel much better since I do this
I like these ideas!!

I always seem to find some excuse to break, or not start implementing, a routine. "I have a lot of extra work," "I was invited to dinner," "my sister called," etc. I see that I have to be protective of my time and stick to a routine no matter what (barring extreme emergencies of course!)

I keep thinking weekends will be hard but I need to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even weekends. Eventually I can occasionally break routine if I'm on vacation or something important is going on but at least in the beginning I need to *get into* a routine!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you heard of mindfulness meditation hun?If you look on youtube at the body scans they are fab for promoting sleep
Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by candie View Post
Have you heard of mindfulness meditation hun?If you look on youtube at the body scans they are fab for promoting sleep
I will look into this! Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've found making myself a mug of Sleepy Time Tea before bed every night helps shift my brain into neutral. I don't know if it's the tea or the ritual but it works like a charm.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My routine is now a hot bath, followed by a malt drink and a good book. In bed by 10!
Very different to my old drunken routine!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They say in early sobriety to make AA your social life. I have a routine that I adher to pretty rigidly. Melatonin, chamomille, reading while taking a wonderful lavendar bath. That does help relax me. Like Alfie - in bed by 10:00 p.m.