Notices

New guy on the forums

Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy on the forums

Hey everyone - I'm here because I need to be before it's too late. I'm 27 now and it wasn't until probably 3 or 4 years ago that I really starting drinking abusively. I know the exact cause...it was a relationship gone bad. And I had a really hard time dealing with it. There was a girl that I had liked for YEARS, but she was dating this other guy at the time and I didn't really have a way in. Then one day I find out she's broken up with the guy, so I give it a go with her and things go really well for a while before we basically hit a brick wall. It didn't fall apart because of my drinking, and honestly to this day I don't really know what made it fall apart. What I do know is that in the aftermath of this, I had an incredibly hard time dealing with it, and I started drinking quite a bit mostly just to shut my mind up.

I suppose I did actually start drinking abusively before it was over. I was at a house party that I didn't invite the lady friend to because I just wanted to blow off some steam about this whole mess, and I ended up playing a game of beer pong but substituted whiskey instead. I lost, meaning I drank all the whiskey I poured for myself, and I promptly gave myself the worst hangover I've ever had. My friends still joke with me about it, and I really wish they wouldn't because they have no idea why I wanted to drink that night.

There was at least one day of work I had to call in sick from an extreme hangover. I wasn't out the night before, I was simply in my own home, consuming all the alcohol I could get my hands on and just trying to stop thinking about my mess.

In the years since then, I've gotten over the break-up, but my drinking habit has remained. Now I can't have one drink without having like 6 or 7 more. I find I can control it better when I'm out, though, partly because I don't want to make a fool out of myself in front of my friends (and believe me, I have done this on a number of occasions), and partly because drinks out on the town are so damn expensive lol. However, I do live by myself, and there's nobody here to stop me from having that one extra drink.

Do I need to drink? I don't think so...there's really not much stress in my life, I mean I suppose my job can be stressful at times, but if I ever don't get something done, everyone understands that we are all simply really busy and can't get everything done. I'm also a runner and will be running in my first 10-mile race this weekend, which I'm very excited about. I find running to be an extremely effective stress reliever, but of course drinking is a much easier stress reliever.

I just see myself continually drinking more and more and being comfortable with more and more drinks in a night. "I got nothing to do tonight, why not pick up a 6-pack?" Will that turn into a 12-pack someday? A case? It's been increasing over the years, so no reason to think otherwise.

Anyway, I've probably said way too much already lol. Thank you for reading all of this. As of today I am making a commitment to stay sober and stop this habit before it ruins my life.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Illuminate, that seem just like me when my drinking started to get bad. I was depress about this girl I was crazy about but she blow me off when I did something stupid. After that I started to drink more and more. What happen after a year of heavy drinking, I started to drinking the next morning to avoid the hangover. Well 2 days went to 3 days for a year and 2 years later I would go on 2 weeks of a binge. I have a hard time holding a job because of this issue I have. It may be time to stop now and get some help. Although you have a drinking problem, it's never just the alcohol abuse your doing to yourself. You may be suffering with some personal issues that by be not just that girl.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
"I got nothing to do tonight, why not pick up a 6-pack?" Will that turn into a 12-pack someday? A case? It's been increasing over the years, so no reason to think otherwise.
As far as this question goes, for me, yes, my tolerance--hence consumption--of wine increased.

Whereas a bottle used to suffice, I was up to two bottles on the nights I drank (about 3-4/week) and, still, wanted more...

It was a terrible, vicious and downward spiral...anxiety, drinking, anxiety etc.

I'm only on Day 22 but already feel calmer and am slowly getting to a better place.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me too Illuminate, though the reasons for my abusive drinking may be a little different, the reasons for quitting are exactly the same. Welcome to SR!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family!

Some fantastic advice here and brilliant support however you are feeling.
I read lots, finally got the courage to post and have been sober for a week and started going to AA meetings. All very early for me too, but all I had to start was a desire to stop drinking and the realism that for me, things hadn't yet got to the depths of rehab, losing family or job etc, nor did I ever want to.
Some people here have and are having it real bad and their experiences help me want to shape a better future for myself.
You can do it, we all help each other.

Good luck xx
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard
Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
I just see myself continually drinking more and more and being comfortable with more and more drinks in a night. "I got nothing to do tonight, why not pick up a 6-pack?" Will that turn into a 12-pack someday? A case?
How about a case plus?....Yeah...It is progressive...You have to take my word on it for that. Look into some kind of recovery plan and give it all you got....That's the only advice I have for you...I use this site and the program of Alcoholics Anonymous...I'm quite happy with both.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Some ppl get increased tolerance (I did.....I could pound a fifth of Captain Morgans after work and be "ok" - ie not puke, not feel like death the next am, not pass completely out with no warning, etc).

Others go the other way.....tolerance goes up for a while then drops back down.

Either way, make sure.......no matter what you do.........that you don't cross that invisible line into alcoholism. Stop before then cuz once you cross THAT line, your choices get a whole lot more limited: 1 quit drinking AND recover ......or...... 2 die an alcoholic death.

........tough thing that line though......it's invisible yanno.......
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Thumbs up

Hi Illuminate and Welcome.

It is a huge step in the right direction to recognize that you have a problem and may be alcoholic. Of course if that is the case and you do have the disease of alcoholism there are many things that you must know about it in order to recover. Much of that info. can be found here on Sober Recovery but also in AA. I will be moving to Minneapolis (very close to where you are) and I know that AA is very strong in your area. I would suggest making a meeting and getting a big book to read.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I went from a 6 pack to a case of 24 in one sitting within a period of two years. My increasing tolerance was shocking to other people. I remember spending a week with my GF's family at a summer cottage and my GF's family were absolutely shocked that I could drink a case per day and not be visibly drunk.

It's a slippery slope Illuminate...nip it in the bud now!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking excessively because of a broken relationship is another excuse we use to drink more. "My job is stressful, I don't make enough $, I have a day off, my dog looked at me wrong", maybe not the dog one, are all other weak reasons we all use to further imbibe.
You have a job, are ONLY 27, can run 10 miles, and you are blaming it on a relationship?! Take it from a guy with MANY broken relationships, no relationship is worth worrying about. Another girl is a dime a dozen and the next one will be even better. Get sober by any means necessary and the rest of you life will come together.
Good luck.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used the dog one...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome illuminate

Some great advice here - I also started drinking for a definite reason, but I continued drinking long after that reason was gone...i simply found more and more reasons to drink and soon enough I found myself in a very very deep hole I'd dug with a bottle...

I think you're wise to be thinking about this, and I know you'll find a lot of support here - good to have you with us

D
Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone; I really appreciate all of your responses.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Illuminate - very glad to have you here. Good that you're realizing what alcohol can do over time. I never considered quitting until my life was in ruins. I didn't even know what was meant by 'progressive disease' until I saw first hand how that worked. At the end of my career I drank all day, every day - even at work. I was a numb and foggy trainwreck. Never dreamed it could happen to me.

Proud of you for joining and starting this discussion! I hope you'll keep posting. We want to help.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Illuminate!

I am also a runner and I know so well how much drinking hurts your running. When you are sober for a length of time, you will see so much improvement in your runs, your m/m, your overall feeling while running - it will seem like a miracle.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!:ghug3
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Illuminate!

I'm sorry that you have had a hard time dealing with the ending of your relationship. I had a lot of resentments towards an ex that dumped me just before I was going to propose to her. Losing an important relationship can be devastating and I totally get how that could lead to a drinking problem.

I'm 26 and I'll have one year sober pretty soon. I got into drinking pretty heavily from the get-go. My life is a lot more sane without booze in it now.

Good luck with your sobriety
Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I didn't keep up here and ended up falling off the wagon again. My run training had been going great, but I developed tendinitis a month ago which has stopped me from running, and I started drinking again...rather than be ashamed of my relapse, I'm coming back here again. August 22, 2012, my new sober date. Gonna try to revisit these forums daily and stay on top of this this time.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We know you can do it, Illuminate. Shame doesn't serve any purpose, really. You learned from what happened - now it's time to move past it.