Notices

I just don't know...

Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just don't know...

Having such a difficult time staying sober. So many things to deal with.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

please share, ak, we have time to listen....

Some of my hardest times to stay sober was when everything was going "too good".

Bob R
Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

akberry , it is very hard when you start out, you are shaking off the habit of a long time. Drink keeps calling you back , telling you it can solve your problems
Chat here if you want, we are all happy to help , we have been through the same
Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HI Ak,

I lot us felt the same way when we first got sober - in fact, I would say most. I did, and I still have problems with it after seven months sobriety. EXCEPT that I am seeing a lot of progress in the last seven months - I went forwards not backwards. Big, big difference. You are probably depressed - I was. Who wouldn't be? We are not numbing our feelings and checking out of life, and we're really seeing how messed up things got (at least in my case). Yeah, that was the hard part....having to soberly approach problems instead of running from them. I got to the point where I was going to lose everything (including my life - and at that point it didn't really matter much). Aren't you tired of being stuck? I promise it will get better. It is going to be difficult for awhile, but not as difficult as being a drunk like I was. And things will start falling into place....some right away (feeling better, liking yourself again) and some will take some time. Just please don't drink. Live in the solution. Please take care. Oh, and maybe try an AA meeting?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

It is hard to learn a new life, open up and really get to know the new you and share it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Akberry,

You may have a lot to deal with but believe me you will deal with things more effectively sober.
You have to have a little faith and believe that it is possible to get sober. I use this forum and AA to stay sober.

All the best

CaiHong
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

or, you can see that nothing is being dealt with by drinking.

Get sober, then tackle one thing at a time. You will have progress.

Welcome to SR!
You aren't alone anymore!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi akberry

Welcome to SR

I've read your other posts - I'm sorry for the upheaval you must be going through right now.

Alcohol was my method for dealing with everything - so yeah, recovery was difficult because all that rough stuff that life throws at us didn't stop coming....and sometimes it was really rough stuff.

The thing is drinking never helped - it just made everything worse and worse.

One thing that did help tho was support - and you'll find a lot of that here 24/7

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments. Brought tears to my eyes. Today is day 2 of sobriety, again. My first try at sobriety started on 12/14/11 and then I made that awful decision to have "just one". I like being sober. I can't explain why I picked up the bottle again. It's like a demon. During my first try I felt like someone had died, like I lost a dear friend or family member. I spent most of yesterday in bed looking up information about alcoholism. If I cannot be successful this time I am going to check into a rehab. Just the thought is scary.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Try to not get overwhelmed and please know that we are here to offer support.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you call AA here? Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings in Anchor Point, AK - Alcoholics Anonymous Hotline

Talk to someone any time. Just ask any question and hear a voice telling you stuff like we say, hopefully. You don't have to go to a meeting, but they are available where you are.

Stay strong and stay stopped! I couldn't get one day, now I have 10 months. Just try staying stopped, maybe get to a meeting to meet others in recovery!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by akberry View Post
So many things to deal with.
Ackberry, one thing that people on here will say is that things are easier to cope with if you dont drink. Life sucks but it sucks better when you are sober enough to cope with it.
Keep posting, we are behind you