the beauty of vulnerability

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the beauty of vulnerability

this is a gorgeous and joyful watch...check it out if you feel like being uplifted, there is some awesome insight.

Brené Brown: The power of vulnerability | Video on TED.com
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What a wonderful and powerful message....I hope everyone listens to this inspiring message.

Something she said really touched home with me...she said that when we numb the painful emotions, we numb all emotions including the joy and love. What a concept and yet I know it is true.

When I was living in fear, in my darkest time, I became terrified of "feeling the pain" because I thought if I did I would die. I thought that if I began to cry, I would never stop. I thought if I let the pain surface I would be in agony that I could not bear. My recovery allowed me to let out a little at a time, I could let out that which I was prepared to deal with...but I had to let it out. I could "stuff" emotions no longer.

Once I began to let out the pain, I found that I didn't die. Instead I found support with others who had felt my pain too. And I found that when I let the emotion of pain out of my heart, there was room for some joy...something I had not felt for a very long time.

Today I am comfortable sharing my struggles, my pain and my discomfort zones. I no longer numb them. And as a result I can feel, today, a joy I never felt before, a spiritual connection that keeps me balanced and feeling at peace, and a thrill for life every single morning when I wake up to face a new day.

I needed to share that, I hope everyone listens to that message. This was just one tiny part of it, I know I will listen again.

Thank you Leslie for bringing this here. You made my day.

Hugs
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful.

When she described herself, she was describing me. If life is messy, I will beat it into submission. I will figure it out. Clean it up.

Life IS messy. And I can waste a whole lot of time struggling to contain it or I can lean into it. Live it. Feel and accept the pain in order to be able to be grateful for the joy and love. Accept myself. I am worthy.

Loved this. I'm going to share it with my friends.

Thank you for sharing this lesliej.....it started my day out on a great note.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ann, yes, the "we can not selectively numb..." is one of the most powerful messages I carry with me from this talk.

I think that the pain that I was so afraid of facing was, in part, the revealing of that deeply wounded part of myself that was being "retraumatized" in relationship with addiction. Letting go of that fear, walking through it, walking through that "protective" wall in my heart allows ME to take loving and caring responsibility for my own vulnerable being. What freedom.

Kindeyes, I think I had a pretty intense "measuring stick" at the depths of my codependency and I thought I was "helping".
Old 03-25-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow Leslie J.....

Thank you so much for posting this.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lesliej

I found this on TED when I searched for more Brene Brown. It is also excellent.

Brené Brown: Listening to shame | Video on TED.com

Anyone who has NOT watched these two videos is missing out on some great information well presented.

gentle hugs
ke