Notices

I am an alkie but i like NA better. Ok?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an alkie but i like NA better. Ok?

So i have been going to AA around me and it is lovely. It is an older crowd in a suburban area and i like it. I still don't have an official sponsor bc I am a big sissy. Anyway, this past week I have been going to NA meetings in the city with a good friend to support her and I really like it. I actually get excited to go to meetings! It is a younger crowd and i feel really comfortable there (lots of hugs and great sharing). So my question. Is it possible i could work a NA program with a NA sponsor even tho my primary issue is alcohol? I hear a lot about addicts going to AA but not a lot about the inverse. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance xo
Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it keeps you from drinking for good...I wouldn't tell you not to do it.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Alcoholic

I have a couple of friends from when I was in treatment who are pretty much in the same boat. If I remember correctly from the couple of NA meetings I went to, they say something in the begining about not distingushing one from the other - drinking or narcotics.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a few people in my HG that are addicts that only go to AA....One with over a year and the other two with over two years clean...What am I going to do?...Tell them they're in the wrong place?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

There's an unofficial NA section here on SR.... I'd definitely ask them as they'll have actual experience with this.

In MY area, NA meetings are young and fun...... But there's little to no recovery..... Very few have any decent time and even fewer have the type of recovery I'D want. There are however, some AWESOME NA groups out there. If they have what you want and you can be honest / true to yourself about being there.... I guess I'd say try it out.

One BIG problem tho..... The biggest part of what keeps I working for us in AA is helping others. As a non-addict (drugs), don't eeeeeven try to sponsor ppl who have drug problems.

So .... It means you'll exist in NA to be a taker....and I've not seen ppl like that last. You're going to want/need to help others and, if you're an alike, u should be looking for other alkies to help. I've seen countless addicts fail in AA for the same reason....they're unable to sponsor or really help anyone else and the AA program is huuuuuge on giving away what we've been given.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just go to both...As far as a sponsor goes...Why would you be afraid of someone volunteering their time to help you?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Now I am rethinking my self imposed classifications-i have def abused opiates regularly but alcohol has always been the primary issue. Idk now i am confusing myself!!!! Sapling give me your wise words pls!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know if I was a Marijuana addict or not...If you put it in front of me I smoked it...Maybe I was. I used AA to stop both...If you used opiates and drank....I say take your pick...I don't see why you couldn't help another alkie/addict down the road...Bottom line is to get them out of your life....By doing the steps....Once you've done that you can help someone else do them.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

......there's a BIG difference between "using drugs" and being a real addict......just like there's a big difference between drinking and being a real alcoholic.

Again, nothing wrong with going to meetings (so long as you meet their qualifications) but don't confuse "going to meetings" with recovery. I've found that working the program (the steps) and helping others behind me to do the same thing is VASTLY superior to attending meetings and leaving it at that. ......and that's where my caution came from. As an alkie, you'll be unqualified to really work with a drug user......especially a real addict....as you just won't have the experience and won't have "shared a common peril."

If you like the fellowship there though, (again......AND you qualify per the groups "rules" to be there), have at it. Fellowship is important.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you do whatever it takes to recover. If you can take something to heart, from each of the meetings, and you feel comfortable, then go for it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

NA considers alcohol a drug... so no problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my last primary DOC was booze . i mostly do NA , I believe that what we read in our basic text : p18 is true: "Before we came to NA many of us viewed alcohol separately , but we cannot afford to be confused about this . Alcohol is a drug."

and we usually add aloud: "Period!"

I sometimes need to remind folk who somehow believe booze to be a "better" addiction that withdrawal from booze w/o medical assistance can kill you. whereas lots of us kick heroin and other opiates "cold turkey" w/o a doctor .... just sayin....

I have 16 yrs clean n sober and have found lots of Recovery in the rooms of NA. Nowadays , at some muti 12 step functions, the longest 'countdown' recovery time might just be an NA member....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I hope that you do whatever it takes to recover. If you can take something to heart, from each of the meetings, and you feel comfortable, then go for it.
I agree...I don't even see a poiint in debating this...
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

They use the same 12 Steps. If it works, don't fix it.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I agree. Whatever helps you to stay sober, do it.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was an addict, but I found more meetings in AA, so I went there. I used "pick up" instead of talking about opiates, and it helped me a lot...until I ignored what my sponsor and others told me about hooking up with a well-known crack addict and became a crack addict.

As far as what I think? Wherever you get the support you need, then go for it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy