Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all!
I'm new to recovery and I found this web site while looking around the web. I guess I should start with a little about myself. I'm 30 and I have been an alcoholic since my teens. At my worst I was drinking about a half gallon of rum, vodka... 5 or 6 nights a week. I began an outpatient program in october and I stumbled many times since then. Right now I'm 41 days clean. I have good and bad days, some days I struggle, some days I don't. I have very little support from my family, but I will win this fight regardless. I'm grateful for my disease as odd as it sounds. I have learned more about myself and just how truly strong I am in the last few months than I have learned the rest of my life. I wonder if I had to feel the hopelessness, to lose all I lost, to feel broken, so that I can build the me I want to be. Time will tell. That's where I'm at in short. I'm still new at this so I don't know much, but I'll be on here frequently.
Stay strong
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Kane...You sound like you are ready...Have you put any thought into a recovery plan?....Something to assist you on your sober journey?

PS Congrats on the 41 days!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hmmm by the sound of your post I think you might have a chance. That you find yourself grateful for your disease, so early in your journey, is encouraging. Few in early sobriety seem to have this gift. Hold on to it with both hands. Things may be better in the future than they would have been if you had never had the disease. I now believe there is a greater good behind what often seems to be the worst of events.
My best to you.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Kane

D
Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kane thanks so much I was beginning to feel bleak about the future when you pointed out how much you've learned from the position your in and I hadn't realised just how much I've done recently in begining to hope and plan for a future without drink but with dreams.
Thanks and good luck.
John.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Kane))) - Welcome to SR and congratulations on 41 days!

I totally understand the being grateful for being an addict. Though some think I am totally off my rocker, had it not been for my addiction, I would not be the person I am today. I had to hit a really low bottom, find my way out of the BIG hole I had dug myself into, still dealing with consequences (5 years into recovery), but I am soooooo grateful for my life today.

Without my addiction, I would have never found SR. Though I lurked for a couple of years, stumbled, relapsed, etc., it's been a huge part of my recovery. I have family that doesn't get it..live with dad and stepmom...she's an A, dad enables her, thinks I'm "cured". If it weren't for the people here, and some f2f friends/family who are supportive, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't HAVE 5 years.

We're like a part of a big family, not one someone would CHOOSE to be part of (I certainly wouldn't choose to be an addict, recovery or not), but we get each other. We can vent, whine, work things out. We can also understand being so very grateful of the path we're walking, so welcome to the family

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Welcome Kane. Congrats on your sobriety . It is yours you know.

You may leave when you can snatch the pebble from DEE74s hand

Enjoy your sobriety
Old 03-15-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Kane! Proud of you for reaching out for a new life. How I wish I'd done that when I was 30 - my life would have been so different. Congrats on your 41 days - fantastic!