Notices

If alcohol is a depressant, why do I get angry?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If alcohol is a depressant, why do I get angry?

I've just been sitting here contemplating some of the things I've done while drinking.

Usually when I drink I'm friendly and talkative. But inevitably, after mass consumption, I become stand offish and angry. Many times it becomes pure rage. Something will trigger me, and I'll say the nastiest possible thing that comes to mind to people I love and not think twice about it.

I'm not an angry person by day. I'm polite, well mannered, patient, and caring. Sure I get frustrated from time to time, but VERY rarely do I actually get angry when I'm sober.

I don't no if there's an answer for this or not, I'm just thinking and venting.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol makes me crazy. I do the exact same thing as you. I also get overly emotional, cry, dominate conversations.... not good.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't know either, thisguy - but I was the same at the end of my drinking career. In the early years I was happy & lighthearted. As the years went on I found it totally changed my personality. I could never predict how I'd react to anything. I'd become bitter and argumentative for no reason. I'm glad those miserable days are gone.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Alcohol impairs judgement. Impaired judgement makes you do all sorts of things you wouldn't normally do (like getting nasty).
Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
It warps your mind after a while. I used to never get angry in the beginning, but in the last couple of years, something else entirely was going on. Not that I am against anger or anything, but this was on a whole other level. Just pure, seething rage.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did any of you notice if your attitude was affected by the type of alcohol you drank?

My wife tells me I only get crazy when I'm drinking liquor/shots.

Beer has never done it... but in my case beer almost always leads to the hard stuff. It's like I don't feel drunk enough on just beer, and I crave something stronger.

Then, even with the stronger stuff, it's like I don't feel it fast enough. So I'll do a half dozen shots in a 15 minute period.... and the cycle continues.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by thisguy84 View Post
Beer has never done it... but in my case beer almost always leads to the hard stuff. It's like I don't feel drunk enough on just beer, and I crave something stronger. Then, even with the stronger stuff, it's like I don't feel it fast enough.
There's your problem. Your tolerance has gone up, but in the amounts you now require to 'feel it', your brain is being poisoned. You've crossed the line, and most likely, though not necessarily definitively, are now SOL. If you don't knock it off, it's all downhill from here.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
There's your problem. Your tolerance has gone up, but in the amounts you now require to 'feel it', your brain is being poisoned. You've crossed the line, and most likely, though not necessarily definitively, are now SOL. If you don't knock it off, it's all downhill from here.
Oh things have already gone downhill, it just took me a while to see it. That's why I'm here. 6 days sober.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 6 days, thisguy! That's wonderful.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Congratulations on your 6 days, thisguy! That's wonderful.
Thanks, but don't congratulate me just yet. I was not a daily drinker, rather a weekend warrior of sorts. This weekend will be my true test.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ok - I'll hold off.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I won't hold off...Congrats on 6 days...Is this your first attempt at quitting drinking thisguy84?...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

For me, depression leads to horrible thoughts, angry, loneliness, anything that is negative... anger is just a lot of badness in me coming out. yeah, poisoned brain.

sometimes a little bit of euphoria thrown in, evil laughter, bad jokes, then bam! back to the negative thoughts. bi-polar --- manic depression and happiness in a roller coaster of emotions.

and we wonder why we have a roller coaster of emotions coming out when we are getting sober. all that stuff we do to our bodies thinking we are not feeling it and we're only stuffing it deeper. I'm not going back to that again!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I won't hold off...Congrats on 6 days...Is this your first attempt at quitting drinking thisguy84?...
No. 3 years ago I did go 30 days without drinking. Even went to about a dozen AA meetings.

Then I started again, little by little. Thought I had it under control, and it appeared I did for a time.

But eventually the binge drinking returned with a vengeance, every time I set foot in a bar. I probably have months worth of Friday and Saturday nights that I don't remember, and my wallet usually came home $2-$300 lighter.

One night I remember going out with $448, and woke up without a penny.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like it's time to stop again...I try not to think about the money I spent to lose everything I had...It's too much for me....So when you did your short time with AA did you put any effort into it?..Or just half assed it?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
alcohol consumption can also negatively affect blood sugar levels, causing moderate to severe hypoglycemia which can manifest in irritability, moodiness, depression, belligerence and rage.

"Insulin and glucagons, secreted by the pancreas, regulate blood glucose levels. Insulin lowers the glucose concentration in the blood, and glucagon raises it. Because maintaining blood sugar levels is of extreme importance for your body, there are also other hormones released from the adrenal and pituitary glands to support glucagon’s function.

Alcohol messes with all three glucose sources and with the actions of regulatory hormones.

Most often chronic drinkers don’t get enough glucose through their diets. If you don’t eat, the glycogen stored in your liver will be used up within a few hours. In addition, the body has trouble making more glucose because it is expending its energy metabolizing the alcohol. Both of these effects of alcohol can cause severe hypoglycemia 6 to 36 hours after a binge drinking episode.

Even if you think that can’t happen to you because you ate a healthy meal, you are wrong. Alcohol can still mess up blood sugar levels. If that’s not enough, studies have shown that acute alcohol consumption can impair the hormonal response to hypoglycemia. So not only do you develop hypoglycemia, your body also has trouble regulating and getting your blood sugar levels back to normal."
That makes sense I suppose. But my drink of choice was/is "bombs" - typically a shot of vodka mixed with an energy drink - ie red bull, monster, etc.

I had a friend count one night. According to him, I did 26 before he left the bar, along with beer. I know I closed up the place, so it's anyone's guess as to how many I truly did.

I have a feeling the mixture of upper/downer throws me out of whack.

I hope no one gets the impression I'm just looking for alternative drinks. I'm just trying to wrap my head around things.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
So when you did your short time with AA did you put any effort into it?..Or just half assed it?
I was pretty devoted to it at the time. My wife was pregnant with our first child and I didn't want to be "daddy the drunk"... know what I mean?

My son is 3 now and means the world to me. I don't know why I can't remember that when I get a beer in front of me.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That makes sense I suppose. But my drink of choice was/is "bombs" - typically a shot of vodka mixed with an energy drink - ie red bull, monster, etc.

I had a friend count one night. According to him, I did 26 before he left the bar, along with beer. I know I closed up the place, so it's anyone's guess as to how many I truly did.

I have a feeling the mixture of upper/downer throws me out of whack.
I don't know about that...You could mix 26 shots of vodka with air and it would probably throw you out of whack...
Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was pretty devoted to it at the time. My wife was pregnant with our first child and I didn't want to be "daddy the drunk"... know what I mean?

My son is 3 now and means the world to me. I don't know why I can't remember that when I get a beer in front of me.
Why don't you try it again...You say weekends are a problem for you..Why not hit some meetings this weekend and try and find a sponsor...Take your mind off of binging this weekend...Start working the program....Put this crap behind you..
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cool

Just wanted to say two things here...................:

1) Depression and Anger are NOT mutually exclussive; and

2) I know one hears thing like, "If I hadn't been drunk (or drinking)/If not for the alcohol, I never would have done that," or "I never would have done that sober." Yes, alcohol does lower one's inhibitions, however, alcohol/alcoholism/being drunk (whatever) does NOT create 'bad behavior.' This is a total fallacy; does anybody besides me smell smoldering trousers....? Liars are liars; thieves are thieves; bullies are bullies; abusers are abusers (be they physical, sexual, mental, or any other type of abuser).....Alcohol may make is easier for them to 'act out,' but it does NOT make them act.

(o:
NoelleR