Notices

If alcohol is a depressant, why do I get angry?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

False and inappropriate emotions are common. Lots of our more serious adventures are born out of drunk rage, love, fear, sorrow, ommipotence.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I know one hears thing like, "If I hadn't been drunk (or drinking)/If not for the alcohol, I never would have done that," or "I never would have done that sober." Yes, alcohol does lower one's inhibitions, however, alcohol/alcoholism/being drunk (whatever) does NOT create 'bad behavior.' This is a total fallacy; does anybody besides me smell smoldering trousers....?
I disagree, NoelleR. At the levels some of us consume it, it does far more than lower inhibitions. It creates anger, and it obliterates one's moral compass, effectively turning us into sociopaths. The majority of violent crimes are committed while under the influence. That "what do you get when you sober up a horse thief" slogan, or the "what do you get when you sober up an asshat" variation is nonsense.

In case you are tempted to conclude that I consider drunkenness a viable excuse for anti-social behavior, though, know that I do not. Rather, it is precisely because of this phenomenon that I conclude that drinking, in and of itself, and not the result of said drinking, is flat out wrong (read: immoral) for people who exhibit such sociopathic tendencies while under the influence. If drinking turns you into a savage animal, you should do something about it and never drink.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wasn't a real angry drunk...I was a stupid drunk...But that went hand in hand..I found out doing my fifth step with my sponsor...A lot of the anger I did have was fear driven.....As well as just about every other emotion I had...Example...Tell me I drink too much...My reaction...Anger....Why?......I'm scared I might have to stop something I can't live without.....Fear..
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I think I'm a pretty peaceful, nice, courteous guy............ however, I've had 2 ppl who are professional therapists ask me about "rage" and "pent up anger." The first time I heard it I was almost insulted........ Rage? ME??? Are you serious??? The second time it was just someone saying it to me. Now I'm telling ya.....I don't really see it, not really. But if two ppl, both pros, neither knows the other.....are BOTH seeing it in me.....odds are there's something there I'm asleep to.

Long story for.......maybe you're in a similar boat and drinking just allowed that stuff to come out/up?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Yes, alcohol does lower one's inhibitions, however, alcohol/alcoholism/being drunk (whatever) does NOT create 'bad behavior.' This is a total fallacy; does anybody besides me smell smoldering trousers....? Liars are liars; thieves are thieves; bullies are bullies; abusers are abusers (be they physical, sexual, mental, or any other type of abuser).....Alcohol may make is easier for them to 'act out,' but it does NOT make them act.

(o:
NoelleR
To qualify, I'm not posting to suggest an agreement or a disagreement, because I'm really not trying to pick a fight. What you just said are some pretty blanket statements though, and I am very interested as to how you arrived at this conclusion. "Total fallacy"? Is there some research or data you are basing this on, studies done? Or is it strictly a personal experience/opinion?

One reason I ask is because I've seen alcoholic behavior cause people to act completely out of step with their normal cognitive activity and character make up. In fact I know of one person in particular who's drunken behaviors were so completely diametrically opposed to her character while sober, I mean really aberrant, unexplainable behaviors that make no sense at all to her personality. Enough that her nickname was 'Miss J&H' (Jekkl & Hyde). It's so hard for me to imagine that her alcohol abuse didn't completely cause her actions, completely independent of her character and personality.

And then there's me. But alas, I won't get into my various "demonic possessions". I guess I'd just love to hear you further clarify your point. Apologies if this is straying from the OP.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to what you have said there. One minute I was chatty, sociable and then just pure nasty and horrible.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
At the levels some of us consume it, it does far more than lower inhibitions. It creates anger, and it obliterates one's moral compass, effectively turning us into sociopaths.
I agree. I don't think there is always some underlying rage that is only released when intoxicated. Alcohol does a huge number on the brain, especially in copious amounts, as you said.

Originally Posted by thisguy84
My son is 3 now and means the world to me. I don't know why I can't remember that when I get a beer in front of me.
My children mean the world to me too. There were times toward the end that I verbally drunk-raged on them for minor stuff...kids being kids. You may think you would never do this, I never in a million years thought I would either. There is simply no excuse for my behavior. None. Never drinking again guarantees me no more drunk raging. Sure I get angry/irritated with my kids, but it's communicated more effectively today.

For the most part, I do not like to dwell on regrets and prefer to leave the past where it belongs, but knowing my kids were exposed to and affected by my choice to drink is a real and lasting regret.

Best to you. You can do this. You really can.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I could be nasty. give me about a 12 pack and some shots and put me in a bar with strangers and it usually turned out bad. see me anywhere else somewhat sober or sober and I was( and am now) totally mellow.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. That is entirely different from "depression" (depressed mood). When the central nervous system is slowed down and not functioning correctly, all sorts of adverse things can happen.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisguy84 View Post
I was pretty devoted to it at the time. My wife was pregnant with our first child and I didn't want to be "daddy the drunk"... know what I mean?

My son is 3 now and means the world to me. I don't know why I can't remember that when I get a beer in front of me.

Sorry if this is too blunt, but with the quantity you were consuming (at least describing), your son may ONLY have his first three vague years of memories of you.

I have no children of my own, but of the people I have known with your/my/our issues, usually they were divorced, incarcerated for quite some time, or dead.

Get with the program dude, I'm 56, and never had the gift you have now, due to my alcoholism, addictions, and anger.

And occasionally feel regret over that, now more as I am aging than when I was younger.

You can never get the time wasted back.

Rex
Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I would get testy with my husband over some small thing he said. I would imagine slights and insults that just weren't there. Now I'm not that way at all. I just don't hear those little things anymore. I truly believe it was the alcohol.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

A mindfulness based stress reduction instructor-psychologist told me that anger is a secondary emotion. There a primary emotion underneath. Mine's depression.

Also she taught us that anger is not bad or negative.

Perhaps your being kind, polite, etc all the time when sober means you're not dealing with all of your emotions? I found I did most harm to myself and others by holding in my anger and not dealing with it or acknowledging it.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisguy84 View Post
Because alcoholism is a disease. It's not about willpower or logic.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I think I'm a pretty peaceful, nice, courteous guy............ however, I've had 2 ppl who are professional therapists ask me about "rage" and "pent up anger." The first time I heard it I was almost insulted........ Rage? ME??? Are you serious??? The second time it was just someone saying it to me. Now I'm telling ya.....I don't really see it, not really. But if two ppl, both pros, neither knows the other.....are BOTH seeing it in me.....odds are there's something there I'm asleep to.

Long story for.......maybe you're in a similar boat and drinking just allowed that stuff to come out/up?
I can so relate to this.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I found out doing my fifth step with my sponsor...A lot of the anger I did have was fear driven.....As well as just about every other emotion I had
THERE IT IS!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I realize this is an old post, but the topic isn't. Recently I read Under the Influence written by Ketcham and Milam and first published in the 80's.

The book discusses the physiology of alcohol intake and alcoholism
Under The Influence

Page 21
Once in the blood stream, alcohol is distributed throughout the body in simple diffusion. Its small and relatively simple molecular structure allows it to pass right through cell membranes and mix in the entire water content of the body. The brain, liver, heart, pancreas, lungs, kidneys, and every other organ and tissue system are infiltrated by alcohol within minutes after it passes into the bloodstream.

Alcohol's immediate effect on the brain is most unusual. The brain is usually protected from chemicals and drugs by an electrical-chemical filter system known as "the blood/brain barrier," which makes sure that only very simple molecules such as those of oxygen and water can pass through. The simple molecular structure of alcohol allows it to penetrate this selective screen and gain easy access to the brain and its extension, the spinal cord.

Consequently, alcohol has immediate and profound effects on behavior. At low doses, alcohol stimulates the brain cells, and the drinker feels happy, talkative, energetic, and euphoric. After one or two drinks, the normal drinker may experience some improvement in thought and performance. As the BAL rises, however, the amount of alcohol in the brain also rises, and alcohol begins to disrupt the brain's electrical and chemical circuitry, causing complicated behavior changes.

With large amounts of alcohol surging through the brain's labyrinthine passageways, the central nervous system cells can no longer function normally. The brain malfunctions, and the major visible effect is a change in the drinker's psychological and emotional state. After several drinks, the normal drinker may begin to show signs of intoxication. He may become emotionally demonstrative, expressing great joy, sadness, or anger. He may also begin to show signs of motor incoordination, staggering slightly when he walks, knocking his drink over as he leaves the table, or slurring his words. If he continues to drink, his vision may blur, and his emotions, thoughts and judgement may become noticeably disordered.

When blood alcohol concentrations reach very high levels, the brain's control over the respiratory system may actually be paralyzed. A .30 BAL is the minimum level at which death can occur; at .40 the drinker may lapse into a coma. At .50 BAL, respiratory functions and heartbeat slow drastically, and at .60 most drinkers are dead.

Here's an SR link from CarolD - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When you first started drinking, your brain was nice and healthy and plump. And of course, I'm sure you considered yourself a happy drunk, primarily because your brain was healthy.

As the years passed and as the days spent being drunk accumulated, the alcohol did physical damage to your brain. And what you see now is a brain deprived of its original structure, hence why you feel like crap when drinking.

It slowly deprived your brain of its cells and layers and neural pathways, and as you drink more, it goes deeper and deeper, eventually you'll just be helplessly addicted with a deeply ingrained need due to your physical brain being restructured to need and crave alcohol.

Only a long abstinence will allow your brain to physically repair itself, and regrow its original paths.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. That is entirely different from "depression" (depressed mood). When the central nervous system is slowed down and not functioning correctly, all sorts of adverse things can happen.

Thank-you flutter.
This misconception is thrown around alot. I try not to let it bug me, but I hear it again and again...
Old 12-21-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
Thank-you flutter.
This misconception is thrown around alot. I try not to let it bug me, but I hear it again and again...
I used to try to correct people on this one, but finally decided that since alcoholism and depression are in fact often closely linked, the depression/depressant distinction wasn't worth splitting hairs over.