Notices

A couple great AA open-talks to listen to if you're new

Old 03-02-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

A couple great AA open-talks to listen to if you're new

When I was new to sobriety I had a tough time finding good AA meetings. I easily found meetings where everyone sat around and talked about their trials and tribulations and about their day........and that didn't seem to help me too much. What wasn't so easy to find were meetings where ppl shared some of that stuff but also talked about how they applied the AA program TO those problems, solved them, got better and are happy now.

So......while I was looking for those "strong" meetings, I came across a couple websites where you can download AA open-talks. There are 1000's of open talks on these sites and I've listened to many 100's of them. Usually I post the ones I like in the "12-Step" forum but I'll start posting some of my favorites here in the Newcomers section. Whether you're in AA or not, using 12-step recovery or not, I think you'll still enjoy these talks.

These guys are NOT professional AA speakers.......they're just regular members who've got a gift for talking about alcoholism, how it affects them, and how they recovered and got better.

1. Bob D. from Las Vegas, NV -- August 6, 2005 -- XVIII Beartooth Mountain Conference
Bob D. from Las Vegas, NV : The XVIII Beartooth Mountain Conference in Billings, MT : AA Speaker Tapes

2. :rotfxko Hank J. from Palmdale, CA speaking at NCCAA Spring Conference in Monterey, CA - March 9th 1984
XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

Tip--- go to the links above. If the download starts right away, just pick where you want to save it. If it doesn't, on the first one (AA-Speaker tapes) you can stream from the sight or click "download" and save it to your pc. On the XA-Speaker site, if it doesn't start right away, RIGHT-click on the "download" box and "save target as" (internet explorer) or "save link as" (firefox) to save it to your pc so you can listen to it whenever and not have to keep the website open to stream it.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

XA-Speakers - The lights are on! has been a true gift to me!! I tell everyone about it! My cat loves to curl up with me and take a listen, too!

Thanks for posting!!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awakening...

These talks are great to download onto an iPod, iPhone. I can carry around Chris Raymer wherever I go.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Somewhere in another thread, someone was asking for a decent open talk to listen to......here ya go, again.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea I love these...
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was me asking, and thankyou, ill be listening to these today as no meetings on today either.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Did anyone besides SomethingBetter listen to these?

........just curious.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I listened to Earl (from one of your other threads) and Cried and Laughed. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I listened to that Earl H. guy. Loved his bit about 'quality control', and I have to give him credit for not conveniently glossing over the benefits he got from the high life, like so many others tend to do.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I've listened to about 300 so far.....
Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'm gonna let this thread die.....and keep this other one alive (same deal as this thread.....just easier to watch one than trying to track two of these buggers down): http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eat-laugh.html