Notices

Here we go again.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again.

I tryed to quit the booze on new years eve, it was my first conscious effort to do. I lasted about 15 or 16 days and since it was my first time I fell into the "Im cured, I can handle it" trap.

Anyway ended up drinking 3/4 times a week heavily during the end of Jan and all of Feb. The depression and loss of motivation returned, along with bad concentration and horrible aniexty.

I remember how great I felt after 2 weeks sober, I was really doing things I knew I was capable of doing sober ( If that makes sence )

So I've decided to post again to keep track. Im off the juice 5 days now and still feel pretty bad, aniexty, sweats, lethargic etc. This time I know what to expect and I wont fall into the trap of thinking and rewarding myself after a few weeks.

Last time I didn't even want to drink, It was just I was feeling so good I forgot how bad it was when I was drinking.

Heres hoping
Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

Glad to have you back for round 2. And, don't let my boxing analogy convince you that you've got 13 more rounds to go in this fight. Some folks are able to knock this thing out in the first round!

Take what you've learned and add to it by reading everything you can get your hands on. This site is a fantastic resource. Work! Work! Work!

Good luck. Go gettem!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you're talking about with the loss of motivation. That was me on Monday! I can't believe how quickly that motivation comes back when you have just 1 clear headed day. I'm not 100%....or even close, but man it feels good to be sober. I see things so much differently now, I realize that it was the alcohol that was blurring my outlook on life.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eh1988 View Post
I know what you're talking about with the loss of motivation. That was me on Monday! I can't believe how quickly that motivation comes back when you have just 1 clear headed day. I'm not 100%....or even close, but man it feels good to be sober. I see things so much differently now, I realize that it was the alcohol that was blurring my outlook on life.
Yeah its like a weird fog, impossible to think straight about reality. It was around the 10 day mark I felt back to normal last time
Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtoquitnow View Post
Yeah its like a weird fog, impossible to think straight about reality. It was around the 10 day mark I felt back to normal last time
I hear ya man, I can't believe some of the things I actually believed/thought when I was on a drunk.....what a lie I was feeding myself.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back tryingtoquitnow
Are you doing anything differently this time?

D
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back tryingtoquitnow
Are you doing anything differently this time?

D
Been eating much better the past 5 days, brown rice/bread, salmon, lots of water and salads, veg etc. Definately has helped with the withdrawl symptoms, no where near as intense as last time.

Have taken up playing quake aswell with friends so its occupying my free time and helping me forget about alcohol.

Edit; Just wanted to add I've been staying up alot later too, till around 5am and getting up at 12 or so, in another few days I`ll try get a normal sleeping pattern going again.

Im a smoker and the only way to get cigs after 9pm is the pub, so I'm making sure to be stocked up and not give me any excuses when my urges are at their worst ( at night )

After a few weeks I plan on trying to kick the smoking and get a e-cig or sumtin, but one day at a time. G'nite all, 5.30am here
Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are back. I've had the same problem with thinking it's okay, I'm okay now and combined with some additional stress end up drinking. Each time, though, it ends up taking longer and longer to feel better again. Last time I was severely depressed for 5 days.
Thank you for posting this, it reminds me to stay on track. I find planning everything out ahead of time can get me through, maybe it could help for you.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last time I didn't even want to drink, It was just I was feeling so good I forgot how bad it was when I was drinking.

Heres hoping
Besides hoping....Are you going to try anything else?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome back tryingtoquitnow,

That's all good that your eating better and occupying your free time playing games and yes that's good too that you plan to kick the cig. I have no magic method to be sober but what I did find out it took me ton's of work. And I found out doing it alone is hard if not downright impossible.

Look into a recovery program of some sort and come to think of it look in our alcoholism form and at the top of it there is a stickey with a list of different recovery programs. Pick one from the list if it isn't the one for you then pick another one until you find one that works for you. And the most important key is what ever program you pick put all your heart and soul and energy into it. Hang in there and don't ever stop trying just like your doing now buy coming back to SR.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today for around 2 hours I had the worst aniexty I ever had, it was much worse than anything that happened last time. Possibly because its Friday but im not sure. I almost cracked, I was fighting with myself - One mind was saying

"Sure go on get 8 beers and relax, drinking is no big deal, you can have some tonight and just put it down to a slip, you're not an alcoholic, you're young and enjoy drinking and playing games and watching movies, live a little, imagine the fun you'll have after a few beers, you need to drink, its Friday"

On the other side i was saying

"I expected this to happen, its the mistake I made last time, don't mess up"

I did something to pass the time for an hour until the off licence closed and got through it. Once the offi closed suddenly the aniexty started to fade, very strange.

I started shaking and felt abit spaced, I'm fine now, a little hot faced but I can handle that. Tomorrow will be alot easier since I didnt drink tonight, and it will be 1 week completed. Im still not out of the foggyness of the withdrawel, my mind is very blurry, I'm having problems sleeping and my concentration is very poor.

I didn't sweat at all today, the past 5/6 days I have been pretty badly, maybe tonight was the last of the worst symptons, my bodys last cry out for lager

Anyway just wanted to vent! Thanks for all the nice comments
Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's not venting...That's what you feel like after one week...It's called undoing...Remember what you did...You have to undo it.....Good job on not drinking...
Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I still think you should kill some of that Saturday time tomorrow and hit a meeting...It can't hurt..
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I still think you should kill some of that Saturday time tomorrow and hit a meeting...It can't hurt..
Not really my thing im afraid, thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not really my thing im afraid, thanks for the suggestion though.
Not trying to come across as caustic, but those used to be my exact words.

Rex
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I appreciate the suggestions and take them all on board but at this early stage in my life I'd prefer to do things my way, whether that be by myself or with family members/friends. I'm not ruling anything out if things worsened in the future, perhaps I would look into getting a councellor or something along those lines.

The support on this site is very good also!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I appreciate the suggestions and take them all on board but at this early stage in my life I'd prefer to do things my way, whether that be by myself or with family members/friends. I'm not ruling anything out if things worsened in the future, perhaps I would look into getting a councellor or something along those lines.

The support on this site is very good also!
Uhhhhhhhh.....clarify "worsened"......

Did you read what you wrote in your OP? I dunno, sounds pretty "worsened".

And, you HAVE been doing things "your way".

Ring any bells??

Don't worry......I have said what I needed to....

Peace, out.

Rex
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rexfiles View Post
Uhhhhhhhh.....clarify "worsened"......

Did you read what you wrote in your OP? I dunno, sounds pretty "worsened".

And, you HAVE been doing things "your way".

Ring any bells??

Don't worry......I have said what I needed to....

Peace, out.

Rex
I signed up to this site for support and let people know how I was going, I didn't sign up to be persuaded to join AA, I don't believe in that way of thinking and never will. Not everyone who wants to get sober or gets sober joins AA, we make our own choices as individuals, not groups. I see sapling and yourself have unthanked my original post also, thanks to everyone on this site that posted and talked in chat, but this site isn't for me anymore. Bye all
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
BHF

I signed up to this site for support and let people know how I was going, I didn't sign up to be persuaded to join AA, I don't believe in that way of thinking and never will. Not everyone who wants to get sober or gets sober joins AA, we make our own choices as individuals, not groups. I see sapling and yourself have unthanked my original post also, thanks to everyone on this site that posted and talked in chat, but this site isn't for me anymore. Bye all
Most people are simply trying to be helpful/supportive when they make suggestions of AA, AVRT or any other recovery program/process. Many of us have found it difficult to successfully stay sober without the same. Several are successful with SR solely.

I wish you the best. I also wish that you were more open-minded to well-intentioned suggestions, but if it is not for you, that's fine. If SR is for you and is helpful, as it seems to have been, then don't let hurt feelings run you off. Isn't your sobriety more important than that?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll stick around

Everyone here really is trying to help and share what's worked for them - but you're under no obligation to follow any particular way or method, or do anything you don't want to do

I'd like to think our members know when to back off too.

The ignore function can be useful if you're feeling vulnerable
If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
& If you're into secular approaches (non HP) you might find this forum interesting

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information