Notices

Insomnia & Anxiety is back

Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia & Anxiety is back

455am, so this is Day 23 for me.

I had really horrible anxiety that led to insomnia which led to more anxiety during 1st 10 days. Was open with my Doc and talking almost daily. From the beginning she Rx me Ambien. I know we arent supposed to discuss medication, and Im not asking for advice there, just giving all MY details. Except for a couple nights where I had to take full 10mg dose, Ive been getting by on just 5mg. Although, and my Doc is aware of this, it never has seemed to work on me like it does others...Ill take it around midnight and then read for like 3-6 hours in bed before I get sleepy to the point I turn the light out & zzzzzz. From about day 10-21 I was feeling good on that routine, with desires to kick Ambien completely very soon.

Bad sleep last 2 nights (on my 5mg/1 pill dose) and anxiety has returned. Anxiety about sleeping, anxiety about not waking up after I go to sleep (very possible I have sleep apnea, cant afford test for it now). Just general nighttime anxiety that I havent had since like day 10. The anxiety plus the lack of sleep has me an emotional wreck. While I was really feeling great just 3 days ago.

Im doing everything I know to be on right path here, physically & mentally. I totally changed my diet (lots of celery & grilled chicken!) & started taking a 2.1mile brisk walk every single day. Also, been to 8 meetings in past 10 days. Got a sponsor I like, call or see him daily. Share at meetings.

I guess Im annoyed, and a little concerned, that Im not making more progress in sleep dept, while working my @$$ off at everything else. Sleep deprevation is seriously taking away from daily life. I cant get the idea out of my head that there is something else, serious wrong with me because withdrawal anxiety/insomnia shouldnt come back? Should it? I havent touched a drop since Jan 29.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not much I can tell you that would help you out, but I can most definitely relate. I've suffered insomnia for a helluva long time thanks to PTSD which manifested after a very scary earthquake. Drinking made my insomnia brutal.

When I finally quit drinking I had serious bouts of insomnia off and on for up to 60 days before a regular sleep pattern started to set in. I found the site (insomnia cures), and bought some program from there which helped. It's a binaural beats CD (called Holothink, or Deep Zen ??) and although I did initially grab it out of frustration (expecting it not to work), it actually did after a few nights of pressing play. Don't ask me how cuz I haven't got a clue as to the technology behind it, but you might wanna check into it. I've since lost my copy, which bugs me on those nights when I still occasionally toss and turn.

The site has all kinds of great info on insomnia otherwise, so maybe worth a read. I remember a few articles there about somniphobia that sound a bit like what you are describing as your symptoms. The author seems to be against using drugs unless as a last resort, and she gives a realistic view on how benzos can cause more problems than they're worth. Anyways, it might help ya.

I think Dee also has a link for some insomnia help as well. I can't remember it off hand but I'm sure he'll hip you to it soon enough.

Only thing I did before finding that CD thingy was to just tough it out, and that right sucks because being half conscious from exhaustion is no way to live. But it is better than drinking to sleep for sure.

Good luck with finding a way to power down. Not a doctor of course, but I'd can say the insomnia is more than likely still a result of your not drinking, and not some hidden condition to worry over. I was at least another month over your current sober time before my patterns calmed down.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shane

I never took any medication but I found out that I had many ups and down over my first three months.

I figured that I'd abused my mind and body for many years - it would probably take a little time for things to settle...and it did.

If you're at all concerned tho, especially about your medication, please see your Dr again Shane

D
Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sleep wasn't normal for a couple months Shane....Not even sure it's as normal as it will get at eight months...My last few years of drinking...I never really slept...Passing out is a little different...And not very restful...It takes time...I always had the Big Book on my night stand...Nights I couldn't sleep I read till I could. Don't expect to be a new man overnight. You have a lot to undo here. You have made incredible progress in three weeks....Keep going at that tempo...Pat yourself on the back now and then. Keep working for it...The rewards are more than you can imagine...Sleep will come....Just keep moving forward.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At 40 days now , I used to have chronic sleep problems and was addicted to sleep aids for 2 years along with alcohell which was the cause of all my anxiety sleep problems.

I can only say what I know, do not worry ever about not sleeping if you go days on minimal sleep you can still function, yes you feel like shyte and groggy but that's about it, ignore the clichéd rubbish you hear about sleep debt and how much we need etc I was the worst ever sleeper.

All I can say is 3 hours sleep now is a 100 times better than drunken sleep, alcohol is the true killer of good sleep, nothing comes close.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're at all concerned tho, especially about your medication, please see your Dr again Shane

D
Thx for all the helpful replies, gotta love SR.

Dee - I am in constant contact with Doc, just saw her last Thursday. I am 100% honest with her and she has been very helpful. Thx for your concern, though. Only news there is she wants to try me on Zoloft. Depression & anxiety runs in my family, as does alcoholism. I holding off, for now.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Didnt fall asleep till after 8am, then slept till 5pm today. Feel a little better, but my sleep pattern is so off not sure how Im gonna get it straight. Off to meeting...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, your sleep times are off, but at least you got some sleep. I had chronic insomnia before I began to drink. In fact, one of the reasons I started drinking was to help me sleep. Not a good idea. Anyways, I still have insomnia and I find that the best thing to do, and often the hardest, is to not worry about it.