Notices

I'm ready to stop

Old 02-21-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm ready to stop

Hello everyone, I just joined.

I'm ready to stop drinking but I'm scared. I've been drinking everyday for a while, I'm not quite sure how long but I don't remember the last day I didn't have a drink, definitely more than 4 or 5 months ago, maybe more. And before it was every day it was still too much. I've been drinking to numb the feelings I can't deal with, mostly due to a terrible marriage. I left my husband 5 weeks ago now in the hope of straightening myself out, I've tried & failed each time, so I think it's time for me to admit I need some support in order to do this. So here I am

Mentally, I am sick of drinking but every time I start physically withdrawing, I panic & think I'm going to die. I now live alone with my 2 young children & am absolutely terrified of them finding me dead. I know it sounds extreme, maybe heightened anxiety. So I drink enough to keep me functioning. I don't want to do it anymore though. Don't really know how to break the cycle on my own though. I hope to find some support here & hope offer the same back.

Aurelle x
Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Aurelle...I think you found the right place...Whatever you are willing to do to quit for good.....Lot of people here are willing to help..Don't drink today...And let's get going.

PS...I'm sure if you've been reading here...Detoxing alone can be dangerous...Not trying to freak you out...But if it's too much..Talk with a doctor.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great you're trying to stop this, hope that for you writing and reading some posts online is enough of an answer.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aurelle

I think two things can help you break the cycle....first see a Dr because detox can sometimes be a little problematic for some of us...and second, find some support - I really don;t believe anyone does this alone whether they're using SR, AA, counselling or some other recovery method.

Do you have any ideas at all about what you're going to do to stay sober?

D
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No I really don't have a plan yet. I just know I hate the life I'm living at the moment and I want to get out of the cycle for my children. I'm cautious to see a doctor & have this noted on the system. I have little support around at the moment as I live far from family & friends have moved away. Me & my children, that's my little world & I want to make it a good one for them, that's why I'm here cos I don't really know where else to go. I will sit down tonight when the kids are in bed and read through the forum a bit more.

Thank you for your replies.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aurelle View Post
No I really don't have a plan yet. I just know I hate the life I'm living at the moment and I want to get out of the cycle for my children. I'm cautious to see a doctor & have this noted on the system. I have little support around at the moment as I live far from family & friends have moved away. Me & my children, that's my little world & I want to make it a good one for them, that's why I'm here cos I don't really know where else to go. I will sit down tonight when the kids are in bed and read through the forum a bit more.
Seeing a doctor is probably the smart thing to do...And it won't be noted anywhere but by them....This isn't front page news. It might be a good idea to try and go to an AA meeting...Get out of your little world and meet some really nice people that don't drink...And want to support you so you don't drink...I'm sure you are scared of the idea...So was I...But it changed my life...And saved it too.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Aurelle and thanks for posting.

I too knew the fear of quitting. I, like many of us drank every day for years. The idea of quitting was nothing short of terror for me. Please know that you can break the cycle. The drinking life is not your natural state.

Lots of support and wisdom here. Thanks for finding us!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by soberwingz View Post
I too knew the fear of quitting. I, like many of us drank every day for years. The idea of quitting was nothing short of terror for me. Please know that you can break the cycle. The drinking life is not your natural state.
Aurelle, these words describe my experience exactly, I was terrified at the thought of quitting alcohol. How the heck was I going to cope with all of my problems and fears without it? However, events came to pass for me that required that I stop drinking, no matter the consequences.

I soon learned that my fear and anxiety were not helped by alcohol in the least. On the contrary. Booze was causing my anxiety and depression. Breaking that cycle gave me back my life, and also gave me more than my small share of serenity and peace.

You deserve to live a pretty darned good life, and that is one without alcohol. Make that plan about using alcohol again - that is your first thing to do. Welcome to SoberRecovery, and thank you for your post.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your replies, very much appreciated!

I am reading through the forum tonight (I'm on UK time, now get the impression this forum is mostly used from the states?) Really am grateful for all your comments and will be back soon. Need to think a lot and put some plans in place. Thank you xx
Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We have people here from all over the world...Alcohol and drugs aren't picky...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Aurelle and welcome!

Glad you reached out today - we know what it's like to be caught in the vicious cycle and not be able to see our way out. I wouldn't have believed it, but life is so much better sober......

Keep reading and posting - we're here for you!