Notices

Hello

Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Well, this is a big step for me. People have been telling me that I have had a problem for a while. It finally donned on me that they had my best interests in mind and weren't just harping on me.

I'm 26. I'm on my second marriage.

This time around I have a beautiful little girl who I now live my life for.

I've always thought that I could use moderation as a means to solve my problem, but it's becoming increasingly clear that it doesn't work for me.

Interestingly enough I guess you could call my a "high functioning" alcoholic. It's never interfered with work or school.. well, not a noticeable amount... But, it always hits home pretty hard.

I rarely drink in public as I don't want to embarrass myself or anyone else or even get in trouble. but it has created a recluse out of me.

Due to my current job I haven't been able to seek the help I need. See, they don't support alcoholism. They offer plenty of ways to help yourself, but it always ends in termination if you don't meet their "standard" definition of having recovered. With my amazing wife and beautiful daughter.... termination is not an option. It's almost as if I'd rather just take my chances than know that if I seek help I'll lose my ability to take care of them.

Ugh... Well, I'm rambling on here.

I'm just looking for some support of some kind. I don't really know where to start.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry... Apparently I posted this 4 times. For some reason I couldn't figure out why it wasn't going through.

Sorry again...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

High functioning alcoholics are the alive ones. (my opinion)
Alcoholics Anonymous was started because everyone was a high functioning alcoholic who wanted to remain anonymous due to their reputation(s).

Welcome to a supportive site! Glad you are here!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

HI TOOLOW! You have come to the right place for support! I am glad to see that you have made the decision to change your ways by not drinking alcohol anymore! Your wife and daughter are all that matter AFTER YOU!!! Stay strong!! I wish you the best of luck!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No problem...The site has been a little whacky lately.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

HI TOOLOW! You have come to the right place for support! I am glad to see that you have made the decision to change your ways by not drinking alcohol anymore! Your wife and daughter are all that matter AFTER YOU!!! Your recovery will help them as well. Stay strong!! I wish you the best of luck!
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We nuked the other three - no worries TooLow

You can seek help anytime you like - many people here haven't gone through their job to seek help - I think work help is great but it's obviously not applicable for everyone

A lot of people just like to recover quietly and mind their own affairs

I'm a little puzzled by 'not meeting their definition of recovery' tho...do you mean your definitions differ?

D
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well you wrote you dont know where to start. Hint Hint you just did.

Welcome you will find some great support here.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TooLow View Post
See, they don't support alcoholism. They offer plenty of ways to help yourself, but it always ends in termination if you don't meet their "standard" definition of having recovered.
Got any examples of these?...AA one of them? I was also curious ..Is your wife supporting you on this? Or is she in the dark about it?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi TooLow! It's wonderful to have you with us. You weren't rambling at all - we understand how you feel.

I tried moderation to deal with my alcohol problem. It failed terribly, and with horrific results. At 26 I was decades away from realizing I couldn't touch the stuff. So - you are doing far better than I did by admitting the problem now, while you're young enough to get your life back. I think you should be proud of that.

You've made a great start by telling your story. Let us know how you're doing, we care.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
We nuked the other three - no worries TooLow

You can seek help anytime you like - many people here haven't gone through their job to seek help - I think work help is great but it's obviously not applicable for everyone

A lot of people just like to recover quietly and mind their own affairs

I'm a little puzzled by 'not meeting their definition of recovery' tho...do you mean your definitions differ?

D
Well... I was trying to to be too specific...

But I'm in the Military. There's a program called ADAPT.

They nice people, but they seem to harp on the same ole stuff saying it's negative to your health and it costs a lot. Gee... I had no idea!

Anyways. A friend of mine (more like acquaintance) volunteered for the program.. This dude had it rough... Well, eventually, even after self-referral, he was discharged... and it was fast too. Now, I don't know the specifics of everything, but it is to my understanding that he missed a couple of "required" appointments. That's a big deal in the military. He claims that at the end of the program he still didn't have a problem with drinking, but was going to moderate it. Well, they didn't like that... or so he says. Like I said, I don't know all the specifics, but that's no option for me.

As for my wife. She knows about the problem and is constantly encouraging me to seek help. I have (in the past) only shrugged it off to say that it wasn't all that serious. The problem is that I get confrontational when I drink. Not abusive, but I call out all of the "holes" in her story or accuse her of trying to control me. While I know that's not the truth, it's easier for me to cope that way.

Anyhow, again I'm spilling my guts.

Thank you for the support. You guys are impressively quick to respond! Not what I expected!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, you need to get some help and I would keep it separate from work. I've told only one person at work that I consider myself an alcoholic, and I work at a very liberal place. I don't want anyone assessing me with that lens.

And alcohol is a real part of the military, as i recall from a prior life. So you need to get strong and fast. But you know that or you wouldn't be here.

Welcome to SR
Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Is AA an option for you?...I think the military should have a few people following that path. Probably a lot.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I wasn't trying to get you to divulge any more than you wanted to, just trying to understand where you're at

I don't know about the military but there's a lot of things to try in the general community:
Here's some links to some of the main players, including AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, like Rational Recovery or SMART

D
Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, there is AA... I plan on calling them tomorrow. I actually looked up the phone number tonight. I was even impressed by the fact that they have an emergency 24 hour number.

What makes all this even harder is the fact that I'm in Germany. Home of the best beers known to man.

Please let me know if this is common. I'm sure it is... but, I love beer. The taste, smell, everything. But I don't seem to be able to stop at one. I want so bad to be able to continue to enjoy the beer here, but it's difficult to stop.

Please keep in mind that I'm around a lot of people on a constant basis that are younger than me and they drink a lot more. Interestingly enough, the legal drinking age here is 18.. That also includes U.S. Military! But it makes it tough to try and recover when all my friends drink... even though they seem to be able to exhibit more control in the end.

This is tough for me because I've never really had anyone that I could discuss this stuff with. I imagine AA will probably be nice because there will be people here that I can relate with, but prior to finding this site I've never really been able to be open about this stuff.

Oh, and for the record... my dad was an alcoholic. He had a pretty bad wreck after drinking and driving.. Pretty much destroyed the most beautiful classic Ford truck I had ever known... after that they told him that his liver was so bad that if he ever drank again he would die. Now he's sober. Probably the better part of 20 years. It makes it real for me.... but it's still so hard to stop.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TooLow View Post
Please let me know if this is common. I'm sure it is... but, I love beer. The taste, smell, everything. But I don't seem to be able to stop at one. I want so bad to be able to continue to enjoy the beer here, but it's difficult to stop.
It was common for me...Beer was my drink of choice...I drank it for 35 years daily and it cost me everthing I had..Including my marriage and damn near killed me. I liked the taste too. I got into AA 8 months ago and did the work. Haven't had one since..Thank God. Good luck to you.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was common for me too - I used to love beer, but I drank past that and hated it by the end...still couldn't stop drinking...it nearly (literally) killed me.

You're wise to get out before you hit that point TooLow

D
Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Talking find your strength

Congratulations, TooLow. It takes such an incredibly strong person to admit there is even the possibility of a problem. I'm not sure how you feel about religion, but I have found God to be my greatest help and refuge. Also, on the days I feel God has forgotten me, I remember my own family. My husband and two children support me in every single endeavor. I pray and hope you may be able to find comfort, solace, support and recovery in yourself, your family, and your beliefs. Best wishes, you're already doing so well!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR daddyshelper

D