Notices

Jumped into drunk last night

Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Jumped into drunk last night

I had been sober 33 days (not clean though- still taking pills when I got them). Last night hubby and I went out. He doesn't think I have a problem drinking bc it's not everyday, doesn't interfere with work, etc. So he was all for me having a drink. he told me to pace myself, and my response was no, I'm getting wasted tonight. Proceded to have 4 cosmos and then we met up with some friends and I had some shots and more vodka drinks. I had also brought some airline bottles of vodka in my purse in case hubby was going to try and limit me. He didn't, but I drank those anyway. I now wish I had stopped after the 4 cosmos. At that point I was happy and feeling good. By the time I got home...I slept on the bathroom floor and have no idea if I talked to my kids or not when I got home. I feel since it was a planned drunk I was in control...or is that a lie my addict brain is telling me? The night before I smoked a joint out my opened bathroom window in sub-zero cold. Is this typical behavior of a 36yo wife/mother. I keep saying it's not like I couldn't have stayed sober longer if I wanted- I chose not to. My mom is having knee rplacement Tuesday and all I can think about is that they will have painkillers laying around.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Is this typical behavior of a 36yo wife/mother. Is it?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can start over. Stop today. I am guessing you could use some rest and water today too. Take care of you and regroup.

rochele
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Is this typical behavior of a 36yo wife/mother.

Well, it's fairly typical behavior for an addict. I'm sorry you got smashed last night, but hopefully, it will convince you that drinking just isn't for you. I really hope you don't steal your mother's medication. That's pretty low. What kind of support are you using for recovery, or have you not gotten that far yet? Recovery is very possible, but you first have to make up your mind that you really want it.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Is this typical behavior of a 36yo wife/mother.

Well, it's fairly typical behavior for an addict. I'm sorry you got smashed last night, but hopefully, it will convince you that drinking just isn't for you. I really hope you don't steal your mother's medication. That's pretty low. What kind of support are you using for recovery, or have you not gotten that far yet? Recovery is very possible, but you first have to make up your mind that you really want it.
I see a therapist weekly and was going to AA a few times a week, but haven't gone in over a week. I'm just not convinced I am an alcoholic. Obviously I think I have an issue or I wouldn't be on this site- but...
Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You may not drink every day, but when you do drink, can you stop? It doesn't sound like it. It's not how often you drink or even how much you drink, but your behavior when you're doing it. Hiding alcohol in your purse in case your husband wanted to "limit" you, and waking up on the bathrooom floor and not remembering what you did the night before should tell you something.

I've found that the worst thing in the world for me to do is skip meetings. They really do keep me accountable and grounded. If I miss one, it's way too easy to miss another, and the next thing you know ... doom. I was told there are only two times when you should go to meetings: when you want to, and when you don't want to.

How committed are you ... truly ... to being sober? Hiding booze, taking pills when you can get them, sneaking a few hits of pot in the bathroom and thinking about taking your mother's pain meds should be huge red flags. Not trying to be harsh, but I'm worried about you. Maybe it's time for a new plan?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't like using labels. I think if many of us were honest we would not like to say/admit we are alcoholics. BUT that doesn't mean we don't have serious drink problems. It doesn't matter what label you use or what you call it.the issue is if you have a drink problem or you don't. It is your call-no one else's. It doesn't matter what your husband says/thinks or anyone else. You know if you have a problem or not.

I am 37, female, and have a young child. I have done what you have done and no it isn't typical behaviour for a 36 yr old wife and mother but it is typical behaviour for a 36 year old alcoholic/someone with a serious drink problem.

p.s I'm not judging you, been there done it myself
Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by aeo1313 View Post
I see a therapist weekly and was going to AA a few times a week, but haven't gone in over a week. I'm just not convinced I am an alcoholic. Obviously I think I have an issue or I wouldn't be on this site- but...
What do you think an alcoholic is?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My mom is having knee rplacement Tuesday and all I can think about is that they will have painkillers laying around.
Sounds like addictive thinking to me, pills or alcohol does it really matter?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I had been sober 33 days (not clean though- still taking pills when I got them). Last night hubby and I went out. He doesn't think I have a problem drinking bc it's not everyday, doesn't interfere with work, etc. So he was all for me having a drink. he told me to pace myself, and my response was no, I'm getting wasted tonight. Proceded to have 4 cosmos and then we met up with some friends and I had some shots and more vodka drinks. I had also brought some airline bottles of vodka in my purse in case hubby was going to try and limit me. He didn't, but I drank those anyway. I now wish I had stopped after the 4 cosmos. At that point I was happy and feeling good. By the time I got home...I slept on the bathroom floor and have no idea if I talked to my kids or not when I got home. I feel since it was a planned drunk I was in control...or is that a lie my addict brain is telling me? The night before I smoked a joint out my opened bathroom window in sub-zero cold. Is this typical behavior of a 36yo wife/mother. I keep saying it's not like I couldn't have stayed sober longer if I wanted- I chose not to. My mom is having knee rplacement Tuesday and all I can think about is that they will have painkillers laying around.
Bingo.

Labels are just that - labels. Alcoholic, problem-drinker, person-with-substance-issues, it all boils down to the same thing: is this behaviour that you wish to continue??
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I need to hear it like it is- sugar coating it is pointless. Thanks everyone for reading and responding. Your outside views are more accurate then what my mind says to me.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I need to hear it like it is- sugar coating it is pointless.
Okay then, read below.

I'm just not convinced I am an alcoholic.
How's that for not sugar coating it?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Okay, if you don't want sugar-coating, I 'd say that, until you decide that alcohol is causing huge problems in your life, you will not be able to recover. You don't need to use the word, alcoholic. It's not that important. What's important is that you allowing alcohol to take over your life and kidding yourself into believing that you have some control. And, the disease is progressive.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

but were you in control? if you can't remember what you did/didn't do/ getting home then you were not in control at all. you sound very much like you are trying to convince yourself that deciding to get hammered to the point you blackout is ok. It will only get worse. good luck with your new recovery plan
Old 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No, it's not normal (since you asked). It's bad behavior in front of your kids. If you keep it up you will lose those kids and your husband. Just read the post here of women in their mid to late 40's and take a look at your future. I mean, who puts mini vodka bottles on their person when they go out? I mean really? Who does that?

I did when I was drinking. And I am an alcoholic in recovery (sober since June last year). You can do this, but you need help. Don't do it for your kids or husband. Do it for yourself.

You're on a bad road that will end in tragedy for someone or everyone in that house. If your husband acted like you are, what would you do? Leave him? Threaten him? What about your kids in 12 years? Put them in rehab? Kick them out? Haven't thought that far yet? They have. When you are passed out on the bathroom floor, they are thinking "oh, Mommy's drunk again, that's cool. I want to do that too, it must be ok" So, are you a responsible adult? or a worthless addict? Who do you want to be for your family? Is life really all about you? Or is it about who you are?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My father died from cirrhosis of the liver. He never did admit he was an alcoholic. It's kind of like not knowing you have cancer so you think everything is okay. Not knowing doesn't mean that it's not there and doing damage. It is, you are just not aware of it. You know that you have drinking issues but to admit to yourself that you can't control it would mean that you would have to do something about it. I know how you feel because I was that way for a long, long time. All the therapy, AA meetings, counseling, or rehab in the world won't help you if you aren't convinced that you need help to stop. They won't help until you step out of denial.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Thanks for reminding me what I am not missing.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What do your children think when they discover their mother passed out on the bathroom floor?

Do they think, "Mom is in control because this was a planned drunk"?

Or do they think, "Mom is just about dead and we are all lost!"

And: How long does it take for the bad feelings you are inflicting on your children to go away? (Clue: The feelings will never go away.)

I have a lot of guilt about what my drinking did to my children. I hope you escape my guilty cries out in the night and anguish. I hope you stop.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Understand....

I am 28 days sober today. I understand how it feels to have loved ones in denial of your addiction. Remember alcoholism shows up in different forms for different people. Some people have a sick pack every day and can't get by without it. Some people don't drink every day but end up passed out on the floor when they do.

My advice is to be honest with your husband and tell him that you believe you have a problem. If he isn't strong enough to be honest with himself, and support you, then you guys have a lot to think about.

Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're getting some great advice aeo.

For what it's worth I don't think theres much control in your story, or much planning either.

If this is not the life you want for yourself, or the behaviour you want to exhibit, then please...do something real and tangible about it - both the alcohol and the pills - because it will only get worse from here, aeo.

D