Notices

Question about Relapsing

Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Relapsing

Hey everyone this is my first time posting here. I'm just sort of lost right now because I don't really have anyone I can talk to about this (I just don't want to alarm anyone). I've been struggling with addiction to benzos (xanax and klonopin) and opiates (opanas, oxycontin, and vicodin) for a couple years. I went into detox in October of 2010 and was clean for a year, until I relapsed in October 2011.

To keep a long story short: I was taking klonopin and vicodin about once a week since my first relapse. I started to feel really sick (both mentally and physically) in between doses and I noticed that my tolerance to both the vicodin and klonopin remained extremely high, even after 2 weeks of abstinence. My last dose of klonopin was a couple weeks ago, and my last vicodin was about 4 days ago and I've felt like crap ever since. I've been getting a lot of anxiety, racing/weird/intrusive thoughts, some paranoia and insomnia. When I actually do sleep it almost feels like I'm awake while I'm dreaming, like I'm aware of the physical world around me but I'm still dreaming and I can't move or anything, if that makes any sense. I'm not really getting too many physical symptoms other than nauseousness, itching at times (usually in my legs) and chest pain / palpitations.

(Edit: I figured the doses I was taking would be relevant eh? I have been taking between 2-6mg of klonopin and 25-60mg of hydro, which is quite a lot less than what I used to take before I first got clean)

So basically my question is this: Am I losing my mind, or is this actually withdrawal? Can relapsing bring back withdrawal symptoms this hard, even if I wasn't taking the drugs every day? It certainly feels like it and I've heard a lot of people say that relapsing kicks in the addiction all over again; but sometimes my symptoms get so severe that I can't help but wonder if I'm just going crazy.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First things first... None of us are doctors. What you are experiencing needs to be evaluated by a medical professional. With that said, It is highly plausible your use is causing issues.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Parabola - welcome to SR!

We are not medical experts, but most of us have used, stopped, relapsed, etc. much as you have. Lots of us also used similar drugs.
I was clean once for about 6 months and went back to using opiates and I still remember the heart palipitations I had that first day of returning to use. I never remembered having that before. Thus, I think we are all wired differently, react differently to using, stopping, relapsing and the w/d symptoms that occur stopping and the strange events that occur when we pick back up. Also, the mix of drugs and doses probably affects the symptoms.

I can tell you that I had the same type of sleep issues you describe when w/d's set in. It was like a twilight feeling. Not really asleep and not really awake.

I have been clean and in recovery over 13 months now and feel I am finally on the right road and I am most grateful to have found SR. It has not been an easy path, but it is worth all the pain to get to this point. I cannot tell you how much I laugh now in a day and I rarely laughed when using. I sleep very well and by and large, feel great. I won't tell you that now and again that devil creeps into my thoughts, but I get busy and move on.

Keep posting on SR. Lots of kindred spirits here to support you.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Parabola,

W/d'ing from opiates is bad, but w/d'ing from a benzo such as Klonopin can be life-threatening without being under the care of a physician. I've heard of people going CT off Klonopin and actually having seizures. I don't want to scare you, but I'm concerned. We're not supposed to give medical advice, but I really think you might want to think about going to the ER and just being honest with them. They could help you detox again, but safely.

~Pandie
Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pandie View Post
Welcome to SR Parabola,

W/d'ing from opiates is bad, but w/d'ing from a benzo such as Klonopin can be life-threatening without being under the care of a physician.
~Pandie
What she said : )
Benzo W/D is nothing to mess with! Opiate W/D is a mofo but benzo W/D is NOT something to mess with at all. Benzo W/D can present some serious medical issues that should be addressed by a licensed medical professional!
Seriously!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I see a mental health Dr for anxiety& am only on 1 Mg - 1.5 Mg klonopin per day under his care. This is a very low dose, but my doc is always telling me that when I'm ready to go off the klonopin - he will be monitoring that taper. So I think that the amount you were taking should really be taken seriously & u should see a Dr for care & advise since klonopin effects the nervous system. Prayers are with u & don't be afraid to do something healthy for yourself. I think all of us at one time or another have not been afraid to lie to a Dr to get meds, so why are we so scared to be honest to get off them??