Attempted Rape

Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attempted Rape

My girlfriend is a heroin addict. I've been with her almost a year, and dealing with the addiction for the last 6 months. She's in out-patient treatment after being in a residential treatment center for a month, and after 2 months clean she's been in relapse for the last 2+ weeks. Despite all her claims of wanting to stop and be clean, things have gotten worse than ever before. She started stealing from me (i'm unable to pay my rent/bills in full this month because of it)...and last night we had dinner at a friend's house (the last 2 people who haven't removed themselves from our life), and she got high at their home. I asked her to leave because of it, attempting to maintain a boundary regardless of the fact that it was late at night. Not even a half hour later, she texted me that she was at the park and she was scared. Some man had followed her there and was staring at her from a distance and it scared her and she didn't know where to go. I thought she was making it up so i'd let her come home. I told her i knew she was scared, and i was sorry that she was but that she would be ok. And i told her i love her. Within 20 minutes of that conversation she was back at my door banging on it frantically. She had blood running down her head, on her hands, dirt, scratches, leaves stuck to her, shaking and crying. That man had attacked her, and tried raping her. I almost died. I called 911. They came and took a report, took us to the park so she could show them where and how it happened, medical exam, photos...all the while i feel like i just threw her to the wolves. My heart hurts, my head hurts, i'm tired, and i just don't know what else to do, but i'll never put her out on the street again.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How do you know she didn't injure herself to manipulate you? You trust an addict?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WOW...

YES, i do.

And clearly this is not the place i need to be for help.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi and welcome,

you will find lots of friends and support here from people that are going through the same things. Im sorry your to hear your gf is an addict and what happened with the attempted rape and all, i can understand why you would feel bad , but also try to remember that she choose this way of life, the life of an addict and continues to do so, dont be hard on yourself you only reacted by telling her to leave because she did not respect your boundaries, anyway hope you stick around there is alot of good help here , take care
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Maybe you took Jeff the wrong way. I think Jeff came to a reasonable possible conclusion. It was a question not a judgement. You did mention "She started stealing from me" and "I thought she was making it up". Hope you figure this out. If you want sympathy and empathy you got it in spades here. I don't know what the best solution is for your situation. Can you get her back into some kind of inpatient rehab program? Does she want to quit?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a horrible thing for both you and your girlfriend.
I'm not doubting what happened; it wasn't safe for her to be alone late at night in the park; she is fortunate that it didn't end worse.

Obviously you feel guilty because you asked her to leave, and thought she was crying wolf.... But you had no way of knowing what would happen.

Ideally this horrible event would motivate her to seek help again for her addiction. But no matter what you do that decision has to come from within her. When she realizes the consequences of what she is doing to her life.

I'm new to the forum, came here because of my BF ....but if you stick around a while and read ... There is some very useful tools here.
But please keep in mind people on this forum share their experiences and Some have been through a lot... More than I can even imagine.
So all of our personal experiences are reflected in the replies you receive.

Take what you can use; leave the rest, or file it away for the future.

My prayers are with you both.
Kelley
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeff63 View Post
How do you know she didn't injure herself to manipulate you? You trust an addict?
Hello and welcome to SR! First I just want to say that what Jeff said is a very harsh statement but I'm sure he didn't mean it the way it came off. There are people here who have had many horrible experiences with the addicts in their life and sadly this is a length that an addict would to go to manipulate the situation. That being said, I'm not saying at all that she made it all up and caused the harm to herself. It is awful what happened to her and my heart aches for both of you but you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You had no way of knowing that was going happen. Like lonelystar said, you were just setting a boundary for yourself to protect yourself and there was nothing wrong with doing that. You had no control over what happened to her and thank god this man wasn't successful and she managed to get away. Please don't be so quick to turn your back on this site, it really is a great place to be for help and support. A lot of people will be straight forward and not sugar coat anything and sometimes it can be hard to hear what they have to say but they are just trying to help you see the situation from every angle, I'm sure they are not trying to offend you by any means. Just stick around and give it a chance, you might be surprised. Again I am so sorry for what you are going through and for what happened to your girlfriend, you both are in my thoughts and prayers
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

The lifestyle my son was living included several violent assaults that I know of. He always had a 'story' about how it happened- who did it and why. Once he got clean I found out that some of the time he had been truthful and other times not. In the big picture it didn't really matter- the end result was the same

What I came to learn was that his choices got him into those situations and the details or the truth of how these things occured didn't matter. Most times he was in a bad place at a bad time doing things he shouldn't have been doing.

I know how frightening it is to see somebody I love all beaten up & bleeding. It happened once outside an entryway to my home. It was just one more straw on the camel's back leading to his finding another place to live. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Whether she's telling the truth or not- there is no excuse for anyone to harm another. The truth remains that addicts will lie to maintain their status quo.

I hope you can attend some meetings. Al-Anon for direct support and some open NA or AA speaker meetings to learn more about this disease are a good place to start.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missgardenarm View Post
... but i'll never put her out on the street again.
I hope you'll reconsider that last part, otherwise you might as well say "I'll never have boundaries again" when it comes to her.

In case you're thinking I'm being cold hearted, that couldn't be further from the truth. My qualifier is my 24 year old recovering IV opiate addict daughter, she's been to hell and back several times, and I don't know even a tenth of the horror stories.

My daughter would tell you that's the kind of stuff that happens when you're an active addict. I imagine all of the RA's here on this forum would probably say the same thing.

Every time I sent my daughter out the door, I knew the potential for horrific disaster. It shred my insides, I cannot describe the pain any better than that. The only reason I had the courage and strength to do what I needed for me, was because of something asked of me by my RAD's first addictionologist:

Imagine your worst fear coming true. Now what happens to you?

Whatever happens to ANY of my loved ones, it is not happening to ME.

You had a boundary and presumably she knew the consequence. She made a choice, no different than her choosing to move out and the same thing happened.

Now what happens to you? What are you going to do to heal yourself from her tragedy?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that this happened. I see that you are experiencing lots of guilt and pain over this, but the attempted rape is NOT your fault. Thank goodness she wasn't murdered, many women aren't so lucky.

You STILL need to maintain boundaries no matter what happens.

I'm hoping for her sake that this horrible experience makes her committed to sobriety.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this happened. I have to say, though, that I'm a recovering addict (and recovering codie with loved ones who are addicts) and I was raped, beaten and other things.

It still did not stop me from getting right back out there and doing it again.

Though I understand your feelings of guilt, when people lie and take advantage of us and our feelings, it's hard to know when they're telling the truth.

My exbf continued his crack use and died in a crack house because it was more important to keep using than go to a dr. - he had pneumonia. Though it saddened me, greatly, I know that had I been right there (and I was a nurse before my addiction ended that), I could not have saved him.

This site has helped me, a lot, not only in my addiction recovery, but moreso in dealing with loved ones who keep using. I hope you continue to read and post.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you are still reading the forum, missgardenarm:

There is a Nar-Anon meeting in the Portland Area and everyone there is dealing with the same challenges you are, trying to figure out how to live with drug addicts in their lives. If you google "Nar-Anon", you'll link to Portland and you'll find the meeting. It is in Oregon City. You really should attend, if you plan on never putting her out again. You'll be in for the long haul and you'll need a lot of education about not enabling her disease. The last thing your friend needs is an active boundary-less enabler in her life.

Addicts live on the dark side. They are often victims of assault as a result. And often, they are the assailants,

Good luck with good boundaries.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heroin was my daughter's drug of choice. The daily grind for most heroin addicts goes something like this:

Wake up dope sick
Manipulate friends/family* to obtain $, and/or
Steal from friends/family*, and or
Steal from anyone, and/or
Hit the pawn shop if necessary, and
Score the drug **, and
Shoot, snort or pack dope**.
Repeat cycle every 4-8 hours

* Friends/family because they are the least likely to call the Police and press charges

**Usually puts the drug seeker at a substanitally higher risk of being in the worng place at the wrong time and/or at significant risk to an OD

I tried like crazy to keep my daughter safe and prevent her from experiencing the harsh consequences of her addiction, aka enabled her. I might as well have scored the dope myself and fixed her up. There was no reason for her to consider alterntatives, so long as I was taking care of her basic needs and remained the primary target for theft.

Consider giving her the gift of dignity to experience the consequences of her choices. Until then, there is no hope for change.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had an alcoholic bf a few years ago who was frequently assaulted and mugged 'because he was disabled' and therefore a target, that is he needed a walking stick due to paralysis from a major stroke.

He called me on numerous occasions, crying and needing help so I dropped everything to go and help him patch himself up. He never reported it to the police which at the time should have been a red flag but love can be deaf as well as blind.

During a meetup with his ex, who was a friend of mine, I was informed that he self-harmed on a regular basis and with the convenience of being numb on the right side of his body, he would injure and mutilate it. A week after a major ab operation he undid the staples and called her to tell her he was bleeding to death and she did the same things I did. Basically, stroking his victimised ego.

One day he had a petty mal seizure (supposedly) so I put my suspicions to the test. I moved all hard and sharp objects away from him and laid cushions on the floor. I timed his seizure according to the First Aid training I had done. When two minutes came I picked up the phone to dial 000 for an ambulance and he miraculously snapped out of it and into the real world again.

The next time he called me with a tale of woe and distress with yet another stolen wallet and keys (how on earth did he get back into his house to use the phone?) I told him to call the police or an undertaker. The choice was entirely his.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Maybe you took Jeff the wrong way. I think Jeff came to a reasonable possible conclusion. It was a question not a judgement. You did mention "She started stealing from me" and "I thought she was making it up". Hope you figure this out. If you want sympathy and empathy you got it in spades here. I don't know what the best solution is for your situation. Can you get her back into some kind of inpatient rehab program? Does she want to quit?
She doesn't want to do residential treatment again, and she says she does want to quit. And i believe she does, but i see her in a place of wishing it would happen without all the work that goes with it...i know she wishes she could just stop on her own and just "be normal" (like she often says). I know when she's ******* up it makes her feel like a piece of ****, which just makes her want to use...which i see is just a vicious cycle.

I keep praying something will click for her.

As far as Jeff's questions, maybe his intention was something other than what came across, but considering the situation i found it completely offensive. It could have been asked in so many different ways, and i'm not suggesting that it isn't a reasonable inquiry, it just wasn't what i was looking to be blasted with...a response seeming to lack all concern, care, or sympathy. I read here a lot, and i haven't said much thus far, but i wasn't expecting that - though i am so grateful for everything and everyone who responded afterwards...very much.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
I hope you'll reconsider that last part, otherwise you might as well say "I'll never have boundaries again" when it comes to her.

In case you're thinking I'm being cold hearted, that couldn't be further from the truth. My qualifier is my 24 year old recovering IV opiate addict daughter, she's been to hell and back several times, and I don't know even a tenth of the horror stories.

My daughter would tell you that's the kind of stuff that happens when you're an active addict. I imagine all of the RA's here on this forum would probably say the same thing.

Every time I sent my daughter out the door, I knew the potential for horrific disaster. It shred my insides, I cannot describe the pain any better than that. The only reason I had the courage and strength to do what I needed for me, was because of something asked of me by my RAD's first addictionologist:

Imagine your worst fear coming true. Now what happens to you?

Whatever happens to ANY of my loved ones, it is not happening to ME.

You had a boundary and presumably she knew the consequence. She made a choice, no different than her choosing to move out and the same thing happened.

Now what happens to you? What are you going to do to heal yourself from her tragedy?
I know...that is truth.
It's just hard, i love her so very much.
I will continue to work on defining and maintaining safe and respectful boundaries, and that's easier to say today with a little distance from what happened and the caring feedback i've gotten here...and this afternoon i'll get to a meeting to strengthen all of this...
Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EnglishGarden View Post
If you are still reading the forum, missgardenarm:

There is a Nar-Anon meeting in the Portland Area and everyone there is dealing with the same challenges you are, trying to figure out how to live with drug addicts in their lives. If you google "Nar-Anon", you'll link to Portland and you'll find the meeting. It is in Oregon City. You really should attend, if you plan on never putting her out again. You'll be in for the long haul and you'll need a lot of education about not enabling her disease. The last thing your friend needs is an active boundary-less enabler in her life.

Addicts live on the dark side. They are often victims of assault as a result. And often, they are the assailants,

Good luck with good boundaries.
Thank you...the nar-anon meeting is really far out for me, unfortunately. I've been going to al-anon meetings a couple times a week though, and i attend educational support groups once a week through her treatment center. Our couples counselor and her corrections counselor both told me i could just replace "alcohol" with anything that was relevant for me. I'm working on it, and learning. One day at a time, as they say.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

You're awesome! I was just looking at the last post where you share what you are doing for you, and wanting to understand the situation for both you and your GF.

I am so sorry that she had that horrible experience and of course you felt guilty, any of us would. When tragedies occur we all wrack our brains thinking of something we might have done to prevent it, the sense of being out of control and vulnerable to such experiences is horrifying to all of us.

But the sad truth is this, as adults, even as addicts (I am a recovering addict) we make choices for ourselves. And sometimes we make misguided ones. And there are consequences for our choices...for ourselves and those who love us.

Here is a line from a song that I find very telling "A pill to make you numb, a pill to make you dumb, a pill to make you anybody else but all the drugs in this world, can't save her from herself"

Yeah, that was me. Nothing anyone said or did could save or protect me from myself. I used the blame and guilt angles plenty. "This wouldn't have happened if YOU had..." fill in the blank. But the truth was the stuff happened because of MY choices.

I blamed my husband for not intervening when I put myself into a coma...but um it was ME who put me into a coma. I chose to, didn't need to, no one had a gun to my head, he didn't tell me to...but I wanted to somehow make him responsible for my well being.

When I was using I did a crapload of stupid stuff. Wandering around high in cemeteries in the middle of the night dancing on graves...yeah, that was real safe huh? If I had gotten attacked, robbed, raped or killed it really wouldn't have been my husband's fault for not chaining me to the bed so I wouldn't sneak out.

I am not unsympathetic to you or your GF's situation. I know it is sometimes an impossible one. It is simply unfair and unrealistic for HER to put you into a position of having to safeguard her when all of her own behavior places her into danger, and it is unfair for YOU to feel you should or can safeguard her. You can't, nor should you be expected to.

One day I had some miraculous objective glimpse of what a total **** I'd become and I decided I needed to do something about it. I got into recovery. I relapsed, but I knew that I had to make a change because I wasn't going to outrun the devil for very much longer. I truly believe that I am on the road to recovery for good. Returning to that way of life isn't an option for me any longer.

I hope that your GF has that miraculous moment for herself. Because only she can save her from herself.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post

Wandering around high in cemeteries in the middle of the night dancing on graves...
Just the thought of that is creeping me out!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that this series of events is happening to you and your girlfriend.

Unfortunately addicts often put themselves in serious danger and they don't think too much about it. In some strange way, they are eternal optimists. I think they truly believe (denial?) that "it" will never happen to them. And when "it" does, they think that lightening will never strike twice.

A few motns ago, my AS was beaten (pistol whipped) and the gun went off but the bullet didn't hit him. His skull took some serious blows and his hands did too. His index finger was crushed as he tried to protect himself from a vicious attack. I share this because I do understand how you feel. Seeing someone you love bleeding and hurt is a terrible thing to witness. We imagine the scene in our heads--no one should ever have to see that happen to someone they love.

So...how do I deal with the knowledge at he is out there. Homeless. Sleeping in his car. Putting himself into circumstances that could kill him. I have to turn to acceptance. I have to accept the possibility that he will die. Not obsess or think that I can see the future but actually accept that death is a very real possibility. It's not easy.

I love him when I see him. I use compassion when I can. But I maintain my boundaries. There are some things that I simply can't live with. I say what I mean, mean what I say and do my very best not to say it mean.

You and your girlfriend are in my prayers. I am thankful that the situation did not play out in an even more devastating manner.

gentle hugs
ke