Notices

Day 2

Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I'm brand new to recovery and on my second day sober. I'm not really sure what I'm expecting to get out of this or why I'm posting but sometimes it helps me to commit things to paper... er sorta of paper. Despite being about a day in I hear myself trying to talk myself into a relapse. Just the voices from when I tried to quit or moderate before. Trying to carve out exceptions and explain that i really don't have a problem because i haven't yet actually wrecked my life. The one positive indicia is that recognizing just the fact that I'm struggling so much to not drink, means dependency. The time I've been spending sober since i made the decision has just left me twitchy and bored. I'm just not sure what to do with myself.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome...Posting here is good start. Give yourself some credit.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Twitchyandbored

Welcome! You will find a lot of help here! Just like me. Im on day 3.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi twitchyandbored

You'll actually find a lot of support here as well - the fine folk of SR helped me get through many a time when I wondered whether I was that bad, or if one would hurt, or when I just really really wanted to say screw it and get wasted.

Hope you'll find us as useful as I did

D
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Twitchyandbored View Post
The time I've been spending sober since i made the decision has just left me twitchy and bored. I'm just not sure what to do with myself.
I can tell you what not to do. Don't pick up. Look around this site...Find yourself some kind of plan to put that figidity energy into and start working on recovery. It doesn't happen on it's own. It takes some effort. Best of luck on a very good decision.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Drinking isn't an activity and what you are feeling isn't boredom, it is the low level of discomfort, akin to restlessness, caused by your body and mind craving alcohol, but we call it boredom because as soon as you drink, it goes away. Like you are doing something. You want a drink. Recognize that, and say no. Watch some tv. Read a couple hundred posts here on SR.

This will pass if you stay sober.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in your boat! Today is my second day... yesterday was easy, but tonight has been struggle. Hang in there!! It's for the best!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Twitchy and Gigi, hi guys and welcome~~~! Huge Congrats on your second day!!!!!!!!!

Check out the chat room. Time flys. Open three or four windows; one for chat, one for a movie, one to mess with your profile, whatever. Time will fly. Read the forums. This is a great site. Best of all, even if you stay up late messing with it, you won't wake up with a headache.

keep posting~~~!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Getting outside always helps me when I have that restless feeling, which I HATE!! I think that's one of the worst parts of this for me. I have trouble fighting against it. When I get outside and do something, though, I feel a little calmer. There's no question that drinking only makes it worse, so do whatever you have to to avoid it!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm still feeling off, but a little better. I got myself a game to pass the time. Once I have a better grasp on myself and not drinking I need to start attending to other matters in my life which I was putting off by/for drinking. I'm beginning AA on Sunday, which my therapist and everyone I'm talking to seems to think will be a help. Maybe I can turn the nervous energy into productivity.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Twitchy. Sounds like your life is about to change. Congratuations on realizing what needed to be done. Let us know how your meeting goes - it could be a good answer for you, & help with the jitters & anxiety. You're doing great!