Notices

new to the website and looking for support

Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to the website and looking for support

Hi, I'm new to this site but old to recovery attempts. I am a chronic relapser with numerous vain attempts to drink like the nonalcoholic. Today is day one for me. I'm just reaching out for some support. I know that many people look down on relapsers. I believe I'm a typical alcoholic, stubborn, self sufficient and self centered to the extreme. Feeling pretty miserable but will be checking in between visits to the porcelain goddess. Please feel free to send any advise or comments. Thx
Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome zidik....don't think you'll find all that many on SR looking down on relapser's...your story seems pretty familiar to me

i like your own advise of "checking in"...for me, when i was a practicing alkie, I was always "checking out"

also, i think that if you want sobriety, i mean really want it...you will find the tools and mechanisms that make it work best for you...

my best in your sober journey zidik...carlos
Old 01-16-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome back to sobriety.

As a fellow relapser I could to nor would not look down on someone that picked up . For we all go threw different roads here. We get when we get it.

Try getting a program and really get into working it.

Again good to have you here in the SR family.

Good love, Inda
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Zidik, you're definitely among friends here! All the best to you!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I fully support your desire to stop drinking and stay stopped. So does everyone on this board. If someone says something that doesn't sound or feel supportive, try to remember that they are probably trying to support you getting and staying sober, they are not here to support everything you say, do and feel, but only that which is leading to recovery.

We wouldn't be helping anyone if we were supportive of stuff that isn't recovery. Yes, there are issues that we will disagree on, but, like I said, if something hurts...please don't rush off, at least examine it and consider that sometimes support is ouchy too.

Not sure why I felt compelled to share that, and it is not in any way aimed particularly at you, but at everyone here, and especially new comers.

The purpose of this forum is to support recovery, no guarantees about anything else.

Welcome on board!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Honesty is the best policy! Old saying u know but at least you don't pretend to be sober or have this all figure out! Please keep coming back because we need the experience of those struggling just as we need successes too! I would never judge anyone battling this disease. Again thank you for your honesty!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I fully support your desire to stop drinking and stay stopped. So does everyone on this board. If someone says something that doesn't sound or feel supportive, try to remember that they are probably trying to support you getting and staying sober, they are not here to support everything you say, do and feel, but only that which is leading to recovery.

We wouldn't be helping anyone if we were supportive of stuff that isn't recovery. Yes, there are issues that we will disagree on, but, like I said, if something hurts...please don't rush off, at least examine it and consider that sometimes support is ouchy too.

Not sure why I felt compelled to share that, and it is not in any way aimed particularly at you, but at everyone here, and especially new comers.

The purpose of this forum is to support recovery, no guarantees about anything else.

Welcome on board!
I agree with you....They should sticky something like this at the top. This isn't a friggen game we are playing here...For a lot of people...Myself included...This is a life or death decision...I had to hear some things I didn't like....Why didn't I like them??...Because they were the truth.
I don't care how anybody get's off of alcohol or drugs. I know what worked for me...And whatever method you use you better give it 100% or it's not going to happen. You have two choices...Live like you are living...Or do everything you can to change it. And I mean everything. For me the answer was easy...I didn't want to die this young.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Zidik - I don't look down on you. I have made many attempts to be sober. I've been here since 2007 and have 50 days sober. Humph. I've had many failures. Advice? Don't drink today. Ask God for help. Read and post on this website. Try an on-line or phone AA meeting if you aren't ready to face the public yet. Join the January group on here as your sober date is today and it will help you get to know people. Use any tool you need to stay sober.

Oh...WELCOME!!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome zidik!

I'm new here too. I hope you find what you're looking for.

If you haven't already check out the daily support threads. I "belong" to the December class, but I'm sure there are a lot of great people in the january class.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've relapsed as well most of us have! Welcome you are amongst friends and people who have been there done that!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Zidik, Are you saying that you are a chronic relapser, go through detox and feeling better with the intention of drinking again now as well as before? I am sure your wording was unintentional but it read to me that you don't want to quit drinking, are proud of your stubbornness somehow, and are planning to try to drink like a non alcoholic as soon as you feel better?

I am just asking you directly as my support can go two ways depending on your confirming what I think you said or not.

Welcome to the place that helped me get almost a year and a half of sobriety thus far, with 0 relapses since I joined here and agreed to do whatever it took. NO preaching, I was as bad as you, I just could not accept that I would be in that yo-yo of enslavement for life. You see until I decided I had had enough of relapsing 300 times a year, I continued to.

Please clarify that question for me? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, zidik!

I practically lived here the first few days. It was comforting just knowing that I wasn't alone. Give yourself some credit for making a new start today and keep reading and posting!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Zidik - we're so glad you found us. I was desperate and broken when I came crawling in here. I couldn't imagine I'd find a way out. The more I read, the more I realized I wasn't alone or unique. I could rise above my addiction as so many others had, and have a whole new life. I could be free again. I know you can do it, too. We're here to listen and help in any way we can. Congratulations on this wise decision!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Zidik

Most of us have been where you are - no judgement here - lots of understanding tho

D
Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

heya zidik! you have come to the right place. look down on you for relapsing???...pshhh been there buddy...trying to control my drinking????...pssssshh....been there buddy. time and time again!!! no judgement here! it's a journey NOW let's cut that mess out and start healing/recovering together! one day at a time!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome friend. A great place to get support!!

Keep reading and posting.

God bless.