Thought-provoking quotes

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought-provoking quotes

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” Bruce Lee

"I had a dream my life would be different from this hell I am living, so different from what it seemed. Now life has killed the dream I dreamed." Victor Hugo

"We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality." Judy Garland

"...a wise prince should establish himself on that which is in his own control and not in that of others..." Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

“You are most powerful when you are most silent. People never expect silence. They expect words, motion, defense, offense, back and forth. They expect to leap into the fray. They are ready, fists up, words hanging leaping from their mouths. Silence? No.” Alison McGhee, All Rivers Flow to the Sea
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

“Everyone who is educated today wants to sit at a comfortable desk under a fan and live in an air-conditioned house surrounded by a garden, coming and going in an American car as wide as the street. If we do not tear out this disease by the roots we shall have with us a bourgeoisie that is in no way connected with the reality of our life...” Tayeb Salih, Season of Migration to the North
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

“When someone sees the same people every day, as had happened with him at the seminary, they wind up becoming a part of that person's life. And then they want the person to change. If someone isn't what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like Terry Pratchett books. They're light-hearted, trivial little bits of entertainment. Sometimes words written in silliness can meaningful however.

So from Terry Pratchett:

"You had to find the truth for yourself. That is how we all find the truth."
"And if the truth is terrible?"
"The answer is that, terrible or not, it is still the truth."
"And then?"
"And then the truth can be changed."