Notices

Tropiramate

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tropiramate

Hello all and apologies if this isnt posted in the correct place. Has anyone ever heard of Tropiramate, aka Topamax? It has shown to be "helpful" in controlling cravings" and in my case 12 days, is working. It's primary purpose is preventing seizures and it makes one a bit loopy but not too bad

I was drinking a pint of vodka a day and now 2 beers a day and sometimes none. Problem is, I got it over the internet and have no idea how much to take, so im taking 100mg (one pill) about 3pm which is about an hour before I normally get cravings.

I am entering a "program" and have an appointment with their MD so Im hoping he can give me a legit prescription and advice on dosage. I realize "the program" will say "zero" alcohol and Im pretty much ok with that as some of those N/A beers (Becks) are really excellent

I realize what I am doing may seem foolish and that the board cant give medical advice but just wondering if anyone else has tried this drug ...... thks much
Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Straykatz,

Buying stuff over the net really is not the way to go.

Please do see a Dr, and get some professional medical advice - or at least stop drinking/or taking the meds.

Mixing alcohol and meds is at best foolish, at worst dangerous.

D
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((straykatz))) - I'm glad you have an appt. with your dr., as I really advise against taking anything prescription without a dr's doing the prescribing...one who you are honest with about your drinking and taking any medications.

My only experience with it is when I took it for migraines. It did make me "fuzzy" for about a week, but I only took it at night and it did help the headaches.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As an epileptic, this is one of the medications that I take.

As for reducing cravings, it never did anything for me and I take 400mg of it a day.

I really suggest that you go see your Dr and be honest about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks all...... shoot, will be honest with the doc as thats the only way to go. As I weigh 195 lbs, maybe its a placebo effect but i really feel that the 100 pill along with a full stomach knocks out the craving........

I read also that you start low and INCREASE the dosage but my thought is that if the smaller dose was doing the job, why increase it?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I wouldn't drink while taking it. Please be totally honest with doctor.

N/A beers have alcohol in them.