Notices

New here

Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Well what can I say:

I've been drinking for the past couple of years almost on a daily basis it seems. I've gone weeks without alcohol and there are weeks when my whole week is filled with it. I've been to numerious AA meetings and they weren't for me. I need to change my lifestyle and alcohol seems to be the biggest problem. When I'm hung over, I don't work out and my diet suffers, as well. My work performance hasn't suffered yet but if I continue on this path, I'm sure I will lose it all. My friends and family have noticed some of changes but they have yet to tell me to my face. I think its time to get help before I destroy everything I've worked for the past couple of years. I'm still confused but needing help! Any help for someone like me?

Mike
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you, SilverIce.

I'm curious about non-AA options too.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome Mike.
I know it may seem impossible now, but you can get there (should be done with the help of a doctor or facility), I could've died from seizure in the last few years of my drinking and during detox. Sobriety is worth it & you don't have to use AA if it doesn't work for you, there is a 'secular' forum here that can help i.e. Rational Recovery- AVRT, SMART & others. Just don't give up, I got 12 days clean back in April 2011 then relapsed for 4 months and drank myself to near death in September, that's when I finally saw the futility of the drink. I have not gone to an AA meeting (will if I really need to), but I have used the big book, speaker tapes and some of AVRT to help guide me into my new sober life.
Best wishes, a bad day sobriety beats my best day drunk.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi SilverIce and welcome!

I drank almost every day towards the end, too. Trying to cut back or stop on my own didn't work, which is how I ended up here.

There are lots of resources beside AA. You'll find some of them here:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Some people use addiction counselors, psychiatrists, outpatient or inpatient treatment...... I think it's just a matter of finding what works for you. Glad you're here!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

I found doing a cost benefit analysis (SMART recovery helped getting me objective about what I was doing). The more you inform yourself on the problem and the options the better off you will be. We have all dealt with our own denial and rationalisations, it's a journey not a destination.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard lots of good advice and support here.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One thing I found really helpful was an honest talk with my doctor. It was not easy to bring up the subject and admit how much I was drinking, but once I did it was a relief to have it addressed as a medical issue, which in many ways it definitely is.

From that and a visit to a confidential counselor referred via my work health insurance, I got to outpatient rehab which gave me many resources and a lot of joy along the way!

I have since fallen by the wayside on my little road to health and sanity, but then picked myself up and continued the journey, a little dustier and slightly dinged up but with renewed commitment.

I hope you will too! Best wishes in whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrunner View Post
One thing I found really helpful was an honest talk with my doctor. It was not easy to bring up the subject and admit how much I was drinking, but once I did it was a relief to have it addressed as a medical issue, which in many ways it definitely is.
I actually work for my doctor. He's been in the loop since day 1 but me, being in the same office, doesn't help. He agrees my alcohol intake is overboard but since my "lifestyle" hasn't affected my responsibilites, he said I should seek AA treatment and counseling. I've done both with no noticeable impact. I am 2 days sober now but still looking for more support. My friends and family are kinda in the mix but still unsure, I have a problem. Even after I confessed it to them. How can I fully convince everyone, I have an addiction? Even my coworkers, think I'm blowing smoke, when I say "I can't go out for drinks after work." I don't want to drink anymore but need some sort of support system to remain sober. This website helps but close relationship support would be great. Should I admit all the things I did when I was intoxicated to my friends and family? They still think its part of college living.

Thanks for your guy's warm welcome,

Mike
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Focus on staying stopped for now. Any program you commit to will work, if you put the effort & work in it!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Missed you on the first go around - welcome to SR Mike

D