crazy thoughts

Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

crazy thoughts

I wonder if anybody else had these kinds of crazy thoughts happen to them, since i have been here I have learned alot but when i first came and even now here and there these crazy little things pop up out of nowhere....

I used to think, I have to pray the right way, I wont ask god for my son to stop using drugs because that wont work , instead ill ask him to help my son find the right way to get himself out , to find peace , I cant make a mistake when i pray because i can jinx the whole thing , so Id pray for different things hoping each time was the right words, becasue i have to get it right.
Anyway just thought Id share feels good to finally let my secret out .....
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've done the exact same thing! I'd start praying for something then stop halfway through as I remembered I'm not "supposed to" pray like that.. So silly when you think about it. For me, I was so afraid of making a mistake that might somehow make things worse for my son that I even thought my prayers, done incorrectly, could cause problems for him. Talk about feeling like I was all-powerful!

There was a time, not too long ago, that I was almost unable to leave the house because he might call...and if I wasn't here to take his call he might get sad/upset/angry and this might make him use.

I could go on and on listing the crazy thoughts I've had.. We truly can be sicker than the addict!

Thank God I found this site!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do that, too. I have OCD and am codependent. That runs rampant in my prayers and in everything I do. I think I can pray, think, and wish things the way they should go.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do that, too. I have OCD and am codependent. That runs rampant in my prayers and in everything I do. I think I can pray, think, and wish things the way they should go.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I used to try to pray "perfectly", too, until I read something Melody Beattie wrote..."Pray however you want, God will sort out the junk".

I like that. I try to pray for myself, for courage, guidance, grace and peace and my prayers for others are for blessings. I try not to give God a wish list or instructions...I think He laughs at me when I do, lol. But the important thing, I think, is that when I pray I just talk to God, like a very special friend. That works for me...and I let God sort out the junk.

Hugs
Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

so funny that so many of us can relate right?

it's kind of like the Gypsy curse "be careful what you wish for"

or asking the genie in the bottle for the wrong thing

or being on the starship Enterprise and interfering with the future with a mistake in time travel.

I think my higher power knows my inner spirit and heart. I know that there is a practice of trying not to be selfish in my prayers. It's good to try to remember that my way, my interests, my wishes, my hopes...may not ultimately be the way of the world. Sometimes bad things happen, whether or not they were prayed for. its not that the prayers weren't heard...the prayers are there to help us through.

my two basic prayers are "Please" and "Thank You" I try to at least use the please mainly to ask for changing my own behaviors for the better. And I try to pray with the Thank You more than the please. In doing this practice I am amazed how much more there is to pray thank you for than ask for with the please.

Blessings and Peace!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I used to try to pray "perfectly", too, until I read something Melody Beattie wrote..."Pray however you want, God will sort out the junk".
Something similar that occurred to me when learning about "The Secret", "Conversations with God", and other similar new age advice about how you address HP/the Universe. You can't say "I want" or "Please give me" because it will create the lack you want to avoid.

And I thought, how foolish, God is a legalistic attorney and if you phrase your requests wrong, you get the opposite? I don't believe it. Prayer is mysterious. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and no one has the answers to why miracles happen to some and not others. But I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with how you word your request, or your basic worth.

I think prayers are not answered not because we word the request wrong but because our free will clashes against someone else's free will. HP gave up both free will, we use our free will to try to stop the abuse and they use their free will to abuse. And since it's their life, their free will prevails.

Isn't it crazy that we can feel guilty about praying right? We have to be nicer to ourselves.

Hugs to you.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredandSpent View Post
I think prayers are not answered not because we word the request wrong but because our free will clashes against someone else's free will. HP gave up both free will, we use our free will to try to stop the abuse and they use their free will to abuse. And since it's their life, their free will prevails.

Isn't it crazy that we can feel guilty about praying right? We have to be nicer to ourselves.

Hugs to you.
I'm there too trying to use the "right" words when I pray. Thank you Ann for sharing "God sorts out the junk". Just what I needed to hear. And TiredandSpent, I agree. Free will prevails.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started out with a whole wish list to God; but then one day I realized I just needed to turn the whole thing over to him and his wisdom. So now my prayer is rather simple, "Help him find his way to the life you want him to have"
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm very careful with my words and thoughts when I pray. I use it as an opportunity for 'right thought'. The more I do that, it has helped me strengthen right thought, intention, and action in my daily life.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lonelystar View Post
I wonder if anybody else had these kinds of crazy thoughts happen to them, since i have been here I have learned alot but when i first came and even now here and there these crazy little things pop up out of nowhere....

I used to think, I have to pray the right way, I wont ask god for my son to stop using drugs because that wont work , instead ill ask him to help my son find the right way to get himself out , to find peace , I cant make a mistake when i pray because i can jinx the whole thing , so Id pray for different things hoping each time was the right words, becasue i have to get it right.
Anyway just thought Id share feels good to finally let my secret out .....
Oh my goodness, thank you for sharing, I thought I was the only one who did this!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have done the same thing. Driving myself crazy trying to think how to word things just right.

I guess it's a common thing, but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who does this.

Now I feel that God knows my heart and knows what I mean when I pray.