Notices

Place to vent?

Old 01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Place to vent?

So its day 7 and I went to a meeting I'm getting a sponser I truly believe in the program.
I'm doing my Bible study, I'm working the program.
So......... Why am I so angry???? Yes, its a bad time to quit drinking, I'm under stress with some of the most difficult issues in life. Blah blah blah . Never is a good time to quit, I know.I am furious and don't even know about what. Why did I have to quit smoking in nov. Off I would've known I was going to wake up one day and go "hey, Im an alcoholic" I might have put that one off. Too bad, so sad . Not gonna smoke now. When asking for a sponser in one of my online AA groups I asked if anyone wanted a needy angry clueless drunk to sponser. We'll see how many volunteer for that one.
So basically day 7 sucks but I'm sober. Normally I would drink if I felt like this but that is not an option. Now I'll smile and act like everything is just fine around my kids.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Vent away. I don't know your drinking history, but it is not unusual for all kinds of emotions to surface when we quit. Some folks are weepy. Others angry. I can't remember how many times I had to stop myself, take a deep breath, and review my reaction to the situation--what is causing this anger? Is there a better way to handle it?

A short prayer helped if only draw attention to my angry and calm me down enough to find a better way to handle whatever was happening.

Hang in there. Seven days is awesome!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very angry in early sobriety, too. It was not an easy time, that's for sure. It was very hard to be patient with anyone. Eventually, I realized that the anger was directed at myself. I was furious that I had allowed alcohol to almost destroy my life. I was angry that I had taken so long to make the decision to stop drinking. And, I was angry that I couldn't fix all the messes I'd made quickly.

So, I began journalling when I was angry and it really helped. I had a lot of forgiving to do - of myself and others.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm kinda thinking the anger may be directed at myself and at the alcohol and at not being able to drink. I'm not angry at anyone and seem calm on the outside. Kind of the same pattern of shoving all that anger inside. Normally I would drink when I felt like this.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was the same, too karilynn. The way Anna described it - that was me.

Don't forget it's early days yet. Your emotions are raw & you're filled with anxiety. This is completely normal. Glad you vented, and I hope it helps to know you aren't alone.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, me exactly. Lots of anger issues. I had numbed myself with all the drugs and alcohol, and when I removed that from the equation, I had my emotions to deal with sober. Exercise and healthier eating helps me alot. Venting here is also good.

I'm reading the Life Recovery Bible that uses the 12 steps of AA and uses scripture to go with them. That has been good for me also. Give it a try.

Hang in there. God bless.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awwwwwwwwwwwww, you'll be ok :ghug3
Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

double post
Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anger, sooner or later is not part of the equation, I can only look after my own sobriety and that make me happier than the rest.

Resentments is to replay the anger I once drooled over and over.
A drink or a drug would fix it, only made matters worse and more new anger.

The anger will eventually leave as long as ya stay in recovery and around people who have recovered and have been through this phase, it's been what I have so far experienced.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, heading to 2 meetings today and reading the BB. Throw in a Bible study. Not angry at the beginning of day 8. That normally happens driving home as the urge to drink wells up and rears its ugly head .
Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

something to look forward to.

Page 66 BB
If we were to live, we had to be free of anger. The grouch and the brainstorm were not for us. They may be the dubious luxury of normal men, but for alcoholics these things are poison.
and
Page 87-88 BB
As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer .....>88
Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks! I just finished ch3 so I'm only on pg 44. Todays meeting is BB study so it will be interesting to see what we read. Definitely need this cause phone just rang and I have to do something I do not want to do. I guess there is never a good time to quit drinking so why not do it when you are under a ridiculous amount of stress
Thanks for the quotes, think I'll lean on them today.