Notices

I am ready... just not willing...

Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am ready... just not willing...

I want to have a day one once again.

So, how do I do it? Many will reply by saying "simply pour it down the sink and go for a walk." That would be the sane thing to do now wouldn't it be???

But, I don't want to pour it down the sink. Do I just drink myself into oblivion and then feel like crap the next day? That is how I always had a day one in the past.

I am so happy this "festive" holiday season is about over. I hate this time of year and I can't seem to move forward until 01/02. I know, it is a mind control matter... yet symbolically I just can't move forward until 01/02.

Any advice on creating a day one (other than my proposed way above)??
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I don't have any wisdom, just a drunk making the day. I might say I'm not sure how one can be ready and not willing. I think it's the able that always tripped me.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you want to stop bad enough...You stop today...That's simple enough...You want to wait....Then I guess you are going to drink...Good luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

FourSeasons: I commend you on stating publicly you want to quit drinking. Obviously the consequenses outweigh the benefits. You might be where I was at last year at this time - I had to drink. It wasn't a choice. It had nothing to do with will-power. Telling me to pour the booze down the sink would be like telling a diver to remove his tanks at 80 ft.

The first thing to do if you want to be successful is see a doctor and be COMPLETELY honest with them so they can help.

Tell them you want to quit drinking. Tell them how much you drank and how often.

Quitting can be dangerous. There are also medications they can prescribe to help you through the first week. They will soothe the shakes and take some of the edge off. They will also reduce the risk of seizure.

If you think you should quit and you can't - it's obvious what you need to do.

See a doctor and do it right. Start the new year out sober!

-It is great on the other side of this wretched disease.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think past the first drink. One wont be enough. Walk away from it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

4S - if you PM to me the town you live I can probably help you get through the first week. I was an absolute wreck but I did it and I know you can too. I've been able to help a few others make a plan to get through the first week too.

There's something in your message that reminds me so much of myself and the desperation I felt that last month of my drinking career.

Last edited by StPeteGrad; 12-29-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: xra
Old 12-29-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe you could try to be a little nicer to yourself and find a healthier way to find the motivation to get to day 1. It sounds like you are punishing yourself by thinking you have to get wasted and then feel regretful in order to want to quit. Are there any other reasons you would like to start recovery? That special "day after" feeling is a great incentive to not drink, but it's not effective forever. For me, relying on the pain drinking brought would give me the strength to last 2 days max.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((FourSeasons))) - My DOC was crack and when I quit, I really, really didn't want to. I don't know your spiritual beliefs, but in the beginning, I was constantly praying "to be willing to be willing to quit". I had relapsed, lost everything I'd worked hard to get back, and was STILL trying to scheme to get one more hit. I didn't, and when faced with the reality of all the damage I'd done in 2 weeks, I spent a lot of time here, I remembered the BAD stuff that happened during my relapse, and I reminded myself over and over that one was NEVER going to be enough. My mind may TELL me "just once" but I know better. I had to have a little clean time to really accept that, though.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I identify with being ready but not being willing 4S.

I hated my drinking life, but it was all I knew. The idea of sobriety was scary, terrifying to me...

But this is a great community here - there is no better support. You're not alone

and you will find like I did, that the fear of change was way greater than the change itself.

My life is immeasurably better than it was 5 years ago. Quitting was the ebst thing I ever did bar none.

You can do it too

[Btw I recommend the pouring down the sink and take a walk method - hangovers are not a good way to start the day ]

D
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Think how much worse you are going to feel if you keep drinking. It really does just get worse with each day we drink.

I would not wish that feeling/feelings on anyone. I really don't think I have it in me again to go through the terror and anxiety.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you posted - we're here to listen and help, no matter what you decide. I do agree, though, that the longer you put it off you're making things much harder on yourself.

By the time I was finally "willing", I had dui's and a number of other complicated problems. I hope you won't put yourself through all the misery that I did. I have no idea why I kept procrastinating, but I hope you won't FourSeasons. Keep talking to us - you can do this.