Notices

Dealing with emotions..

Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with emotions..

Had a horrible nights sleep and can sense Im going to be on a bit of a downer today. Been thinking about alot of things in the last 2 weeks..where my life is heading and what I want to achieve and I just feel plain...ANGRY. But as much as I feel I want to blame everyone else and point out their faults to make me feel better Im just angry at myself deep down.. I am generally an upbeat happy go lucky person but I knew I would have a down day sooner or later..

I guess Im looking forward to having to deal with my emotions rather than pick up a drink and numb them...
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, it's bound to happen sometime, just remember you will bounce back.

I felt a lot of anger when I was in early sobriety, too and it was ultimately, directed at myself. Journalling helped get a lot of it out.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mazza,

I felt a lot of anger at the beginning. I am coming up to 7 months sober and your post reminded me about how strong that anger was, some of it was directed at other people and some of it just plain angry and irritable. Angry at other people but with further analysis I was angry at them because of my drinking I had allowed myself to get into situations where I was taken advantage of. it was easier to say yes and get back to drinking than have to deal with a situation properly.
Hang in there. Hope tonight you get a better night's sleep.

All the best and Merry Christmas.

CaiHong
Old 12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I went through that stage too, mazza. I had to stop though - it was holding me down.

Dealing with our emotions without our crutch to fall back on takes some getting used to. Once we get the knack of it we are so much better off than when we were numbing. It feels good to let things out and deal with them in a healthy way. Glad you brought this up, mazza - much better than stifling your feelings.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mazza,
I had to learn to forgive myself in early sobriety, but never forget myself. We all did. I also had to learn to take care from myself. That wording is intentional. I look at it as taking comfort again in just being me, where hope can spring and dignity grow. Getting to know me wasn't nearly as frightening as I thought. I had been there the whole time. Like that scene in Peter Pan where the lost boy sees the lost Peter Pan in the face of the grown one played by Robin Williams. We get sober and say to our reflection "There you are!"

Alcohol didn't numb me from pain alone. It estranged me from myself, and the comfort in my own skin I thought was lost.

Soon you will discover the delight of also dealing with your positive emotions without them being dulled. There are a lot more of them than the negative ones, and they have just as many powerful ones too. Just get ready because since you are a positive outgoing person I made a list of the ones you may have missed drinking. Here is a list of wonderful emotions you will soon enjoy without them being dulled:

The List

Able, Absolved, Abundant, Accelerated, Acceptable, Accepted, Accepting, Accomplished, Accountable, Achieving, Active, Adaptable, Adequate, Admirable, Admired, Adored, Affluent, Agreeable, Alert, Ambitious, Amenable, Amused, Appreciated, Approving, Assertive, Assured, At-ease, Attached, Attentive, Attractive, Authentic, Awake, Aware, Awesome, Balanced, Beautiful, Believing, Blessed, Blissful, Bonded, Brave, Bright, Brilliant, Calm, Capable, Captivated, Cared-For, Careful, Caring, Cautious, Centered, Certain, Cheerful, Cherished, Clean, Clear, Collected, Comfortable, Comforted, Committed, Compassionate, Complete, Composed, Comprehending, Confident, Congruent, Connected, Conscious, Constant, Content, Cooperative, Courageous, Credible, Daring, Decisive, Defended, Delighted, Dependable, Desirable, Dignified, Discerning, Disciplined, Distinguished, Dutiful, Dynamic, Eager, Easy-going, Ecstatic, Edified, Efficient, Elated, Elegant, Elevated, Emancipated, Empowered, Encouraged, Energetic, Energized, Enthusiastic, Euphoric, Exceptional, Excited, Exhilarated, Experienced, Expressive, Exuberant, Faith, Fantastic, Favored, Firm, Flexible, Flowing, Focused, Forceful, Forgiven, Fortified, Fortunate, Free, Friendly, Fulfilled, Gentle, Genuine, Gifted, Glowing, Good-natured, Graceful, Gracious, Gratified, Grounded, Growing, Guarded, Happy, Harmonious, Healed, Helpful, Heroic, High, Honest, Honorable, Honored, Hopeful, Humble, Humorous, Important, In-control, Included, Independent, Infatuated, Influential, Innocent, Inspired, Intelligent, Interested, Invigorated, Invincible, Invited, Jovial, Joyful, Jubilant, Judicious, Kind, Learning, Liberated, Light, Light-hearted, Loose, Loved, Loyal, Lucky, Magnetic, Marvelous, Masterful, Mature, Meek, Merciful, Methodical, Mindful, Modest, Motivated, Neat, Noble, Non-judgmental, Observant, Open, Open-Hearted, Organized, Outgoing, Pacified, Pampered, Pardoned, Passionate, Patient, Peaceful, Perfect, Persevering, Pleasant, Pleased, Popular, Positive, Powerful, Praised, Precious, Prepared, Present, Productive, Proficient, Progressive, Prosperous, Protected, Prudent, Punctual, Purified, Purposeful, Qualified, Quick, Radiant, Rational, Reasonable, Reassured, Receptive, Recognized, Redeemed, Regenerated, Relaxed, Release, Reliable, Relief, Relieved, Remembered, Replenished, Resolute, Respected, Respectful, Responsive, Restored, Revitalized, Rewarded, Rooted, Satisfied, Secure, Selfless, Self-Reliant, Sensational, Sensible, Sensitive, Serene, Settled, Sharing, Simple, Skillful, Smooth, Soothed, Spirited, Splendid, Stable, Steadfast, Strengthened, Strong, Successful, Supported, Sustained, Tactful, Teachable, Temperate, Tenacious, Tender, Thankful, Thoughtful, Thrilled, Tolerant, Tranquil, Triumphant, Trust, Trusting, Unbiased, Understanding, Understood, Undisturbed, Unhurried, Unique, United, Unselfish, Upheld, Valiant, Valuable, Valued, Virile, Vital, Warm, Wealthy, Willing, Wise, Wonderful, Worthwhile, Worthy, Yielding, Zealous.

And don't forget to be Merry on this Sunday!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on dealing, sober one! Smile, it fools the body!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone..

Its been a looooong day but I made it and I feel alot better...doesnt help that my SO is drinking again in front of me, but as I always say..this coffee is GOOOOOOD!

Merry Christmas everyone