What to do NOW???

Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do NOW???

the womens shelter just left a message that I needed to call them asap--it is an emergency ONCE again--do I engage or not even call back???
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, I don't know. A part of me says don't call back, but not so sure that I would be able to do that with my own sister. Whatever you decide, you have my hugs and prayers.

Amy
Old 12-10-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

I was in a somewhat similar situation with my little brother years ago (the call was from a psych ward - again - cuz he didn't HAVE a drinking problem) - I just couldn't take the drama any more and I didn't call back. It was one of the hardest things I ever didn't do but at the same time it was SUCH a relief to not have to play the game any more.

But there is NO "right" answer here.

Take care of YOU.

Blue
Old 12-10-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Skipper

In an emergency situation, they have the number: 9-1-1.

They can handle this. They're trained for this.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

DesperateSister, What do you need to do to not feel that panic I think you may know all too well? What do you need to do to take care of YOU FIRST? What do you need to do to have peace in your life?

If you do not know the answers to these questions, you may want to consider attending some Al-Anon meetings. Also, my Boundary work helped me tremendously when dealing with my homeless, alcoholic, mentally ill brother.

(((hugs))) Everything is going to be alright.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok so I called back--surprise surprise--she was asked to leave and taken to the hospital. She totally snowed the counselors at the inpatient rehab and the lady at the SLH. They found 7 bottles of empty hand sanitizer so they had the police come to get her to take her to the hospital. Apparently the hospital released her today and no one has heard from her--I guess she is homeless now but I really have no idea. The SLH person said she is very sick and would not admit to what she had drank so she had no choice but to ask her to leave. I am feeling OK and I understand that I can't help her. Very sad though to think that she has fallen so low.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((DS))) - I'm really sorry that she seems intent on destroying herself. I totally understand why you called back, but am glad you're okay and realize you can't help her.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Reading this reminded me of things that I experienced with my brother. It hurts me to think about other people going through that, both on the side of the addict and on the part of the loved ones.

It might be best for both of you if let any other calls go to voice mail and just ignore them. You are right, you can't help and there are places she can go and shelters that will help when she is ready.

I'm praying for her and for you that this is her bottom.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I would have called, too. Not because I wanted to help, but for information. I think I would rather hear that she's left the program so I can mentally prepare myself that she might appear at my door. I'm not really good with surprises.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear desperate, I hear you, so sad that she has chosen this path. I went thru this with my husband for around 5 years, then he left, then came back, then did it again, in and out of rehab/jail, always the same ending, he never got the help that he recieved by asking for it himself, I always helped him and took care of him and got him the help he needed...

it wasn't pretty, they have to do it themselves and only you can take care of you, no one else. take it from folks here that know. you love her, no doubt, stop feeling responsible if you can. practice. best of luck and love coming your way. m