How do I answer an Addict?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I answer an Addict?

I posted my story on here. I am the mom of twins and my MIL is addicted to perscription drugs. I have taken a step back after she left detox early and I have not spoken to her, since 2 weeks ago. Today.. she called at 8:30 am and my husband told her I was out with the kids (which I was). Her response was.. o why doesn't she want to speak to me. How do I deal with this situation? Unlike my father in law and husband I am no longer co-signing this ladies nonsense. What is an effective way to get my point across..or should I say nothing at all. I feel better when I do not speak with her.If I have a bad day with the boys she will say.. o come on..how bad can they be etc. Meanwhile.. she NEVER watches them at all and has not seen them since Sept. She continues to lie to people and say she watches them every weekend.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

so I shouldnt respond to her or say I just dont want to speak w her?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

there are no 'shoulds' or 'shouldn'ts'.

You have the choice to engage in conversation and/or a relationship whomever you want to and you the choice NOT to engage in conversation and/or a relationship with whomever you want.

You also have the responsibility to keep those children 'safe' from 'toxic' folks.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it was me, I wouldn't say anything at all.

If you have to talk to her, maybe try to keep it topical - as if you were talking to a stranger at the bus stop. The weather, how the football team is doing, etc. If she tries to take it further, maybe just say " I don't feel comfortable talking about that" and walk away.

If she persists, you may have to repeat that phrase over and over and OVER again. Stick to it - the peace of mind is worth it!