Notices

The journey continues...

Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The journey continues...

The one awesome thing I am enjoying about my journey is the daily zen. I have discovered a simplicity in my soul and it emanates into everything I do. Things aren't as bad as they are initiated to be. Life can truly be simple.

Being sober for 10 months has given me new enlightenment. There is nothing in my life that can't be solved, planned, focused on or overcome. Had I been drinking, I would have had considered it an emotionally exhausting year in nothing less than a whirlwind from hell. But looking back, I see merely life's situations that were identified, prioritized, organized and responsibly dealt with.

Sometimes I wonder how I have the strength to deal with all of life's inconsistancies...separation, starting over, both boys in the military, daughter moving, organizing my move across country, starting everything over (again)...and today, finally divorce papers...! I am finding today emotionally challenging. My journey is still long...and I'm enjoying and grabbing the opportunities that are given to me. I still go with that gut feeling. It hasn't steered me wrong yet -only when my stupid head says otherwise.

No, I'm not creating a 'go me' thread but I'm feeling disheartened and feel its so important with so many new folks struggling with choices, decisions and new emotions to have the realization that there is still sunshine behind the rain cloud. There is just so much to life once you remove the drinking. Some of you can see it already...feeling better, looking better, doing better. Sure, we all have our down days. It's not all unicorns and marshmallows...but the difference is the coping skills that are learned in recovery -you learn how to redirect your energy to deal with it -instead of drink over it.

I wish you all strength in your journeys to sobriety. I wish you all peace in your hearts. Please, please try hard. In my past year of learning recovery I have never ever heard anyone say they regretted their decision to quit. That speaks volumes. Goddess bless you all. And I am so so proud of all of you for your efforts and milestones.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not all unicorns and marshmallows.
I beg to differ!

But seriously, Congratulations on your 10 months! That is HUGE! Sounds like you've been going through a lot and you've made it through sober and stronger.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LOL Thanks for the laugh Gerbosko.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats EmeraldRose, and thanks for the uplifting post, I am just over 9 months and it seems like I hit a huge bump in the road, a screaming ‘Alcoholic Voice’ with crazy mood shifts, it’s like I’m back at 30 days all over again.

I know this is temporary, and I have had some great times sober, I look forward to 10 months myself, however I said when I started this journey that It might take 18 months before things got easy, and who knows it may never get easy just more rewarding like a hard day’s work, sometimes I feel my best after a good hard day at work, like I really accomplished something.

I haven’t felt like posting all day, I laid out of work today after a 4 day weekend (not good), I really got to get out of this rut, your post made me smile, thanks and Gerbosko maybe your right, it’s just that rainbows and marshmallows are such latent type things, there probably all around us, I just never notice them these days, I gotta start opening my eyes and looking for the silver lining.

Congrats again on the 10 months, that is great!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

@ EmeraldRose Thanks for taking the time to give us all such an uplifting post.

@ Gerbosko That's a Pegasus, not a unicorn So there.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for that ER

This year was pretty tough in a lot of ways for me - I had a lot of ups and downs, and probably more downs...

but I had a sense of peace that nothing could shake, a sense of gratitude for the good things & people I have in my life, and faith that every thing would be ok...and I didn't drink...didn't even have 'those thoughts'...

that's what recovery gave to me this year

D
Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that's what it is, Dee...the peace and serenity of it all. Wishing you better days ahead...think of unicorns and marshmallows -it works.

Thinking of you SB...things will get better. Think of the things you have in your life that make you smile -even if its chocolate ice cream. Things get so complicated...we need to get back to simple. Wishing you peace in your continued journey.
And don't listen to that voice...you know what happens!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerbosko View Post
I beg to differ!

But seriously, Congratulations on your 10 months! That is HUGE! Sounds like you've been going through a lot and you've made it through sober and stronger.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Seriously. Best reply to a thread I've read so far. Thanks for the laugh. I so needed that.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you EmeraldRose- it's been happening so often lately, I read posts just at the right time, either something I need to hear or something I've been thinking that gets validated.
This morning I was just realizing how uncomplicated life is becoming, not quite simple yet for me (only one week so far), but I used to wake up thinking of all I had to do that day and it seemed annoying and overwhelming. Well, of course it did! I had to do all of with with a mild to severe hangover, exhaustion, guilt, shame, and I just couldn't wait to get it all over with so I could come home and drink. Now, I almost enjoy thinking of the busy day ahead of me.
And in even in my short seven days, many of my problems dont' seem as daunting. I am thinking about them rationally, taking step back when I need to, and certainly, not using them as an excuse to drink.
Thank you so much for your inspiring post, it was just what I needed to start my day. I hope to sound and feel like you in 10 months.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are experiencing the awesome feeling of sober. Life doesn't have to be complicated -we make it that way. We worry, we fret, we moan and groan...and for what? It doesn't change anything. I just don't fight it and it makes life go just so much smoother.
You will find the less you fight the more things will be revealed to you -like reading things that just make sense or meeting someone who touches your life. Things happen when we open up our hearts. They happen for a reason.
Wishing you a happily blessed productive day! :ghug3