Notices

8th day

Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8th day

and physically so far things have been surprisingly easy. Sleep first days was pretty bad, hellish dreams, sweating etc - after the 4th day that went away.
I haven't had any cravings to speak of, the few times i felt like having a beer has been when easy to connect with being hungry and tired (I guess alcohol have been functioning as some kind of energy source - I already have lost a few pounds).
I don't feel like getting drunk or even tipsy at all. I'm very surprised, this is not what I expected at all. Except the social part, the idea of never having a drink again is not very upsetting. This has not been at all what I expected.

So that was the good part. But the mood is another story! Anxiety all over the place, fatigue, depression with intense feelings of being a failure. Barely able to work and even small tasks feels like big burdens. I start to think that I've just been drinking to mask underlying psych problems and that the cycle of "drunk or about to get drunk"/hangover somehow has protected me from these feelings. Again, not at all what I expected, I was expecting to feel emotionally better after giving up drinking, not worse!

So, how does it work? How do you separate "withdrawal" from underlying problems? Have anyone else had similar experience?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cantopop. I am two days behind you and know what you mean. Withdrawal was pretty easy but I am so tired. I feel like I haven't slept for years. During the week I have to get up early for work and get home late so straight to bed. Last night I slept 12 hours and I feel like I can barely get out of bed. Plus this stupid headache that won't go away.

But just be proud of yourself. You are doing something really tough. And brave. You are SO not a loser. You are awesome. Climbing this mountain is hard.

And we all have our reasons to drink. We must have been avoiding something. For now I am just concentrating on feeling a bit better - without alcohol. When I feel ready to tackle the next thing, THEN it will be time.

Good job on 8 days. Be proud of you!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident Curmudgeon

Like you, I'm on my 8th day and also thought the physical side would be much tougher after 40 years of moderate to heavy drinking. So far so good.
I have not had any unusual emotional issues, but stay strong and I'm sure you can overcome them.
Peace.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

listen to aa speakers online.

glad you have 8 days! it gets better!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

8 days! Good for you! I have just started my 3rd and was surprised I didn't have withdrawal either considering how heavy my daily consumption was. I also had nightsweats the first night.

I have been sleeping well, but feeling crabby today. Am frustrated with my kids and feel like I get non reward at the end of the day. Yet the last two evenings being able to relax and read or watch TV sober have been great, so why would I want to change that.

If you are feeling some depression and that you may have some underlying issues, would you consider getting some therapy to help you deal with them? It would be such a good opportunity to do that while your mind is clear.

Congratulations again on 8 days, you're awesome.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi cantopop
Welcome to SR

If you're like me and you drank for years, it can take a week or two ( it took me longer) for our minds and bodies to get themselves back in order.

Mood swings, fatigue, depression and 'brain fog' and a little in the way of coordination problems are all definitely normal.

See your Dr if you're concerned of course but I'd generally give it a little time - I think you'll see an improvement

D
Old 11-26-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Cantopop - sounds like you're making a good start though - stick with it
Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support all,

feel better today and I realise that it will take a bit longer before things get more stable. After all, I've been drinking heavy for the last two years, expecting the body and mind to recover in just a week is pretty unrealistic. So for the time being, I'll just have to wait and enjoy the good days. And today seems to be one of them.

/Canto
Old 11-26-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude