Notices

Something I needed to hear tonight

Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something I needed to hear tonight

Before I tell everyone the story, I want to say that I am in no way getting any pleasure out of somebodys misery; but it really opened my eyes listening to this story. I was talking to a friend of mine at work today and he was really distraught about a recent blackout that he had. He was telling me about how he got into a fight with his friends and actually ended up really hurting this one guy. And about waking up in this one guy's backyard with no recollection of the past evening's events. He also mentioned a disasterous conversation with his girlfriend and how she wouldn't return his phone calls today and told him she didn't want 'that' kind of relationship.

I think I have been romanticizing about alcohol for a long time now. Trying to remember all of the good times that I have had going out and partying. Truth is, I have had way more problems from alcohol than I have had good times. Trust me, I have had many of nights just like the one above. More than I would like to admit in fact. And most of those good times, I don't remember. I think that is probably true for all of us, if we really think about it.

It really made me think about how blessed I am right now. It's how we all should feel. I am happy that I won't have to go through something like that again.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep, glad that is over from one recovering black out drunk to another. That is pure hell on earth.

(happily raises a glass of sparkling water with lime)
Old 11-25-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Thanks for the post.
I would rarely drink to blacking-out because I often didn't have the money to drink that way, but I could have ended up in a whole bunch of legal trouble on a few occasions. Back then I thought "How lucky I am", now days I think "How ignorant I was"... lol
I am very glad to stop the damage as well.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah even in college I think I had a lot more problems than good times.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that.

I drank to blackout almost every night. I hated the feeling of not remembering what I said or did- especially when I was with other people. When I was alone and blacked out- I would often vomit in my sleep. It is a miracle that I am here today. I plan on making the most of my second chance.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would drink to blacking out as well, right up until a few days ago even. I used to think I just drank so much because I was really fun. Yeah..... right....
Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

'Well I will join in with everyone else here so far , lol

I also drank till black out every nite for almost 20 years. I was told I had wet brain last january , lucky for me something brought me out of the alcohol demensia that i was in at the ICU .

I chose to remember yesterday and charish yesterday the good and bad. For the worst day sober doesnt compare to the best day of hangovers.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I īve fallen asleep on the bathroom floor next to the toilet, cause I vomit when I get home after drinking...
And I forget stuff, complete conversations, meetings with friends, all gone. cannot remember it the next day. Not funny....